Dealing with Harassment and Bullying

If you believe you are being subjected to harassment or bullying of any form, you do not have to feel it is your fault and you do not have to tolerate it.

The University takes allegations of bullying and harassment extremely seriously and will support you fully in ensuring that the harassment or bullying ceases.

We’ve outlined below the support you can receive from the University if you are dealing with harassment or bullying, as well as details of how to report it to us.

How are harassment and bullying defined?

Personal harassment is defined as any behaviour which is unacceptable to the recipient and which creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive environment for employment, study or social life. It can include sexual harassment, racial harassment, stalking, victimisation

Bullying can be defined as offensive behaviour which violates a person's dignity. It can create an intimidating, hostile, degrading or offensive environment, and humiliates or undermines an individual or group.

You can find more information about the different forms harassment and bullying can take on our harassment webpages

I think that I am being harassed/ bullied by another student, what can I do?

We will not tolerate bullying and harassment and we are committed to providing a positive, and safe environment for our students.

If you are being bullied, you may wish to tell your personal tutor or head of department. You may also wish to contact the University’s Harassment & Bullying Network who can give you advice on what to do next. You can email them on, or telephone 0114 222 9621.

Nightline is a telephone listening service run by trained student volunteers. They are anonymous and confidential, so you may wish to give them a call if you need someone to talk to.

If you are being bullied in your University accommodation, you may wish to contact your Residential Mentor, who can take matters further.

There is more advice on how to deal with bullying or harassment on our harassment webpages.

How do I report incidents of harassment/bullying?

If you have tried to resolve the problem, but the harassment or bullying persists, or if you do not feel that you can deal with the situation yourself then you may decide to contact the Student Harassment and Bullying Support to help with a resolution.

How do I make a formal complaint about harassment/bullying?

If you would like to make a formal complaint, please visit the Complaints & Appeals Procedures pages.

Where can I find more support?

The following contacts can all offer information and guidance, when dealing with harassment or bullying.

If the information you are looking for is not included in our web pages and you aren't sure who to approach, please come to SSiD and we will try to point you in the right direction.