What should I do if I am worried about a student?


Are you concerned about a student? Perhaps you’ve noticed a change in behaviour; are they becoming withdrawn, or acting differently? Maybe it’s something the student has said that’s worrying you. Staff in front-line support roles will often be the first to notice if a student is experiencing difficulties.


Don’t ignore your concerns – check with others who may also have noticed something. You could speak to the student directly, or talk to colleagues/academic tutors, to see if they share your concerns.


If you are still worried about a student, contact Central Welfare & Guidance (x24321) to share your concerns. The team may be able to offer support and guidance to the student. If you are unsure about what might happen next, please refer to the “Process for Raising Concerns” flow chart and further information.

What will happen if I raise concerns that a student is at risk of being drawn into violent extremism/terrorism/being radicalised?

Most concerns raised are not Prevent related and staff/students are supported through long-standing protocols. If it seems appropriate to respond to your concern in relation to Prevent, the Prevent lead will carry out further CHECKS with colleagues in the University to build a clear picture. It is possible that the Prevent lead might seek advice from the relevant police officer.

If it is Prevent related, the University’s Safeguarding Panel will discuss the most appropriate and supportive actions, calling on expertise from within the institution and the Prevent team in the City (e.g. Channel, police, etc.). This would take place with the student’s consent and engagement. If the student does not wish to engage, we would continue to offer support.

Prevent-related complaints should be reported using the University's existing procedures.
Staff: HR grievance procedure
Students: Complaints Procedure