Faculty and Doctoral Academy PhD Scholarships
The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2016-17, each Faculty is offering a number of Doctoral Academy and/or Faculty Scholarship awards on a competitive basis.
Applications for 2016/17 entry are now closed
Each Faculty can offer a range of awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate £14,057 in 2015/16)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half maintenance stipend
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- a contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in academic year 2016/17 (after 1st October 2016).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis - applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/ departmental expertise.
Applications for 2016-17 entry are now open via the postgraduate application system.
You must apply for admission before your scholarship application will be considered. To apply for admission please click here.
The closing date for Faculty scholarship applications for 2016-17 is Tuesday 2nd February 2016 at 5pm. Late applications will not be accepted in any circumstances.