Professor Peter Andrews
Department of Biomedical Science
The University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
- Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science
- Room: E Floor Alfred Denny building
- Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 4173
email : email@example.com
The Biology of human Embryonic Stem Cells and their Malignant counterparts from Teratocarcinomas.
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield
- Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science: 1992 - present
- Chairman of Department 1995-2003
The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, Philadelphia
- Associate Professor: 1991 - 1992
- Assistant Professor: 1983 - 1990
- Research Associate: 1980 - 1982
- Research Investigator: 1978 - 1979
Sloan-Kettering Institute, New York
- Research Fellow: 1976 - 1978
Institut Pasteur, Paris
- Research Fellow: 1974 - 1975
Activities and distinctions
- Chairman, Department of Biomedical Science, 1995 -2003
- Co-founder and Director, Axordia Ltd., A University Spin-out Company
- Invited member of ad hoc committees and discussion groups of the MRC to discuss national stem cell strategy, 2002 -2000
- Member UK Stem Cell Bank User Liaison Committee 2003 – present.
- Member, UK Stem Cell Bank Management Committee 2003 - present
- Co-ordinator of the International Human Embryonic Stem Cell Characterisation Group for the International Stem Cell Forum 2003 - present
- Co-organiser of the first UK Human ES cell Training Course (co-sponsored by the MRC, BBSRC, DoH and WUN), June 2003)
- Chairman, Finnish Academy Stem Cell Grants Panel, Sept 2004
- Member, YCR Scientific Advisory Committee, from April 2004
- Member, MRC Molecular and Cellular Medicine Board, from April 2005
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- International Stem Cell Initiative
- UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI)
- Yorkshire Cancer Research (YCR)
Hyka-Nouspike, N., Desmarais, J., Gokhale, P.J., Jones, M., Meuth, M., Andrews, P.W., Nouspike, T.
Deficient DNA damage response and cell cycle checkpoints lead to accumulation of point mutations in human embryonic stem cells.
Stem Cells 2012. 30:1901-1910.
Chen W, Jongkamonwiwat N, Abbas L, Eshtan SJ, Johnson SL, Kuhn S, Milo M, Thurlow JK, Andrews PW, Marcotti W, Moore HD, Rivolta MN.
Restoration of auditory evoked responses by human ES-cell-derived otic progenitors.
Nature. 2012 490: 278-282.
Lund, R.J., Nikula, T., Rahkonen, N., Närvä, E., Baker, D., Harrison, N, Andrews, P., Otonkoski, T., Lahesmaa, R.
High-Throughput Karyotyping of Human Pluripotent Stem Cells.
Stem Cell Res. 2012 9: 192 – 195.
Isasi R, Knoppers BM, Andrews PW, Bredenoord A, Colman A, Hin LE, Hull S, Kim OJ, Lomax G, Morris C, Sipp D, Stacey G, Wahlstrom J, Zeng F (International Stem Cell Forum Ethics Working Party).
Disclosure and management of research findings in stem cell research and banking: policy statement.
Regen Med. 2012 7:439-448.
Alagaratnam, S., Harrison, N., Bakken1, A.C., Hoff, A., Jones, M., Sveen, A., Moore, H.D., Andrews, P.W., Lothe, R.A., Skotheim, R.I.
Transforming pluripotency: an exon-level study of malignancy-specific transcripts in human embryonic stem and embryonal carcinoma cells.
Stem Cells and Development 2013 22: 1136 - 1146
Wongtrakoongate, P, Jones, M., Gokhale, P.J., Andrews, P.W.
STELLA Facilitates Differentiation of Germ Cell and Endodermal Lineages of Human EmbryonicStem Cells
PLoS One 2013. 8: e56893
Desmarais JA, Hoffmann MJ, Bingham G, Gagou ME, Meuth M, Andrews PW
Human Embryonic Stem Cells Fail to Activate CHK1 and Commit to Apoptosis in Response to DNA Replication Stress.
Stem Cells. 2012 Jul;30(7):1385-93. doi: 10.1002/stem.1117.