Professor Peter Andrews
Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science
Department of Biomedical Science
The University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
- E Floor Alfred Denny building
- Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 4173
- Fax: +44 (0) 114-222 2399
- email: email@example.com
The Biology of human Embryonic Stem Cells and their Malignant counterparts from Teratocarcinomas.
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield
- Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science: 1992 - present
- Chairman of Department 1995-2003
The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, Philadelphia:
- Associate Professor: 1991 - 1992
- Assistant Professor: 1983 - 1990
- Research Associate: 1980 - 1982
- Research Investigator: 1978 - 1979
Sloan-Kettering Institute, New York:
- Research Fellow: 1976 - 1978
Institut Pasteur, Paris:
- Research Fellow: 1974 - 1975
Activities and distinctions:
- Chairman, Department of Biomedical Science, 1995 -2003.
- Co-founder and Director, Axordia Ltd., A University Spin-out Company (now a subsidiary of Pfizer).
- Co-Director, Centre for Stem Cell Biology.
- Co-ordinator of ESTOOLS, a European FP6 Integrated Project (www.estools.eu) (2006 – 2010).
Other external activities
- Editorial Boards: Journal of. Anatomy, Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine, Handbook of Stem Cells, Stem Cell Research, Stem Cells and Development.
- 2008 Member MRC Translational Stem Cell Research Panel (July 2008 – present)
- 2007 Member SAB for Stem Cells for Safer Medicines (SC4SM), a PPP company established by the DTI and the ABPI to develop applications of human ES cells in predictive toxicology (2007 – present).
- 2011 Member, UK Stem Cell Bank Advisory Board 2011 - present
- 2002 Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Yorkshire Cancer Research, 2002 - present
- 2010 SAB Bioprocessing Technology Institute, Biopolis, Singapore, 2010 - 2011.
- 2009 Participant in MRC delegation to California (Jan 2009); to China (May 2009)
- 2009 Memner of INSERM review committee for INSERM Unit, I-Stem, Evry, Paris. Jan 2009
- 2008 Invited Participant in UK FCO sponsored ‘Road Show on UK Human ES cell research, California, Feb 2008
- 2007 Review panel for Canadian Stem Cell Network (Sept 2007).
- 2007 Expert Review Panel for 21st Century Centre of Excellence Program, Kyoto University (Japan, June 2007)
- 2006 Member Steering Committee forUK Toxicology Initiative July 2006 – 2007
- 2006 Co-ordinated for MRC and CIRM a UK:Califironia Stem Cell meeting, to be held in the UK Nov 2006.
- 2006 Member, NIH National Stem Cell Bank, USA, 2006 - 2009
- 2006 Elected Board Member, ISSCR, March 2006 to 2009
- 2005 Member MRC Molecular Cell and Medicine Board April 2005- April 2010
- 2005 Represented MRC in meeting with California Institute Regenerative Medicine, San Francisco April 2005
- 2005 Member BBSRC Visiting Group to Review Roslin Institute 11 – 14 October, 2005
- 2004 Chairman, Finnish Academy Stem Cell Grants Panel, Sept 2004
- 2003 Member, UK Stem Cell Bank Management Committee 2003 - 2011
- 2003 Member UK Stem Cell Bank User Liaison Committee 2003 – 2008
- 2002 Invited member of ad hoc committees and discussion groups of the MRC to discuss national stem cell strategy, 2002 -2003.
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- European Union
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- International Stem Cell Initiative
- UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI)
- Yorkshire Cancer Research (YCR)
Gokhale PJ & Andrews PW (2013)
Characterization of human pluripotent stem cells.
Draper JS & Andrews PW (2013)
Surface Antigen Markers.
Handbook of Stem Cells, 1, 375-382.
Johnson P & Andrews PW (2013)
Cell Fusion and the Differentiated State.
Handbook of Stem Cells, 1, 89-94.
Kong L, Aho K-L, Granberg K, Järvenpää L, Seppälä J, Leinonen K, Hahne L, Mäkelä J, Laurila K, Pukkila H, Yli-Harja O, Nykter M, Roos C, Autio R, Lund R, Närvä E, Lahesmaa R, Gokhale P & Andrews PW (2013)
ESTOOLS Data@Hand: human stem cell gene expression resource.
Nature Methods, 10(9), 814-815.
Lund RJ, Emani MR, Barbaric I, Kivinen V, Jones M, Baker D, Gokhale P, Nykter M, Lahesmaa R & Andrews PW (2013)
Karyotypically abnormal human ESCs are sensitive to HDAC inhibitors and show altered regulation of genes linked to cancers and neurological diseases.
Stem Cell Res, 11(3), 1022-1036.
Alagaratnam S, Bakken AC, Hoff AM, Sveen A, Lothe RA, Skotheim RI, Harrison N, Jones M, Moore HD & Andrews PW (2013)
Transforming pluripotency: An exon-level study of malignancy-specific transcripts in human embryonal carcinoma and embryonic stem cells.
Stem Cells and Development, 22(7), 1136-1146.
Wongtrakoongate P, Jones M, Gokhale PJ & Andrews PW (2013)
STELLA facilitates differentiation of germ cell and endodermal lineages of human embryonic stem cells.
PLoS One, 8(2), e56893.