Dr Colin Smith
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5717
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
MA, PhD (Cantab.)
Colin Smith graduated from the University of Cambridge in 1987. He joined the Cambridge Soil Mechanics research group in the same year and completed a PhD in 1991. Following 2 years as a research associate at Cambridge he moved to the University of Sheffield in 1992 where is now a Senior Lecturer.
His main research interests focus on:
- Limit analysis in geotechnics: development of numerical and analytical tools, supported by experimental work with particular application to soil structure interaction in masonry arch bridges. Recent work includes development of a exciting new numerical technique Discontinuity Layout Optimization (DLO) for solution of plasticity problems.
- Subsurface contaminant migration, remediation and containment with a strong focus on the fundamentals of pore scale migration and soil-contaminant interaction processes. Recent work includes some of the first detailed studies into the properties of acid tars.
The experimental work has a strong basis in physical modelling, supported in particular by innovative digital imaging techniques. This includes the development of a full scale plane strain testing tank for soil structure interaction in masonry arch bridges in collaboration with the University of Salford. Whilst at Sheffield his research has been funded by EPSRC, NERC and industry.
He is co-founder of a University spin-out company LimitState Ltd. The company specialises in the development of novel ultimate limit state analysis and design software applications which make use of research methods developed in the University.
His teaching portfolio includes teaching of geotechnical analysis and design, and coordination and development of innovative skills related teaching materials across the curriculum. He has led four externally funded teaching development projects within the Department, and contributed to several teaching publications.
Activities and Distinctions
- Member of the editorial advisory panel of 'Geotechnique'.
- Secretary to the International Society for Soil Mechanics and
Geotechnical Engineering Technical Committee TC205 'Limit State Design'.
- Awarded the 2007 ICE Baker Medal for the paper "Load carrying capacity of flooded masonry arches." ,Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Bridge Engineering.
- 2011-2014: "Ultimate and permissible limit state behaviour of soil-filled masonry arch bridges" funded by EPSRC with additional support from Network Rail. Investigators: M Gilbert, CC Smith and RF Harrison. Value: £467,999 (Total value of collaborative grant: £1,030,691).
- 2007: "Prototype limit analysis software tool for geotechnical analysis and design" funded by University of Sheffield (Proof of Concept Fund). Investigator: CC Smith. Value: £9,933.
- 2004-2007: "Holistic limit analysis and retrofit design synthesis for masonry arch bridges" funded by EPSRC. Investigators: M Gilbert and CC Smith. Value: £63,531.
- 2002-2005: "Soil-structure interaction in masonry arch bridges" funded by Essex County Council. Investigators: M Gilbert and CC Smith. Value: £15,000.
- 2003-2007: "Restoration of Acid Tar Lagoons" (part of consortium project: Sustainable Urban Brownfields: Integrated Mangement SUBR:IM) EPSRC. Investigators: DN Lerner, J Hennebury and CC Smith. Value: £233,905. (total consortium funding: £1,838,284)
- Staff Member Responsible (SMR) for Level 2 Geotechnical Engineering module.
- SMR for Level 3 Geotechnical Design module.
- MSc Foundation Design
- Level 3 Group Design Project
- Gilbert M, Smith CC & Pritchard TJ (2010) Masonry arch analysis using discontinuity layout optimisation. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering and Computational Mechanics, 163(3), 155-166.
- Merifield RS & Smith CC (2010) The ultimate uplift capacity of multi-plate strip anchors in undrained clay. Computers and Geotechnics, 37(4), 504-514.
- Smith C & Gilbert M (2007) Application of discontinuity layout optimization to plane plasticity problems. Proceedings Royal Society A, 463(2086), 2461-2484. View this article in WRRO
- Smith CC (2006) Influence of density inversion on thawing around a cylinder in a frozen saturated porous medium. Transport in Porous Media, 63(1), 223-237.
- Hulet KM, Smith CC & Gilbert M (2006) Load-carrying capacity of flooded masonry arch bridges. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Bridge Engineering, 159, 97-103.
- Jones EH & Smith CC (2005) Non-equilibrium partitioning tracer transport in porous media: 2-D physical modelling and imaging using a partitioning fluorescent dye. Water Research, 39(20), 5099-5111.
- Smith CC (2005) Complete limiting stress solutions for the bearing capacity of strip footings on a Mohr-Coulomb soil. Geotechnique, 55(8), 607-612. View this article in WRRO