Dr Wendy Michallat
Telephone: (0114) 22 22879
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
BA (Hons) Warwick, MA, PhD Nottingham
I was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire. After my first degree I worked in publishing, law and the financial services sector before returning to university to do an MA in Twentieth Century French Literature and a PhD about the cultural history of the French comic strip.
I have rich and eclectic research interests which inform public engagement initiatives, UG and PG teaching and which generate published outputs. I am a specialist of French and Francophone comic art, women and sport, first wave French feminism and women’s life-writing. I continue to remain research active in all these areas and in recent years have published on political satire in comic art, women's football, first-wave feminist publications, war letters and diaries. My most recent work focuses on life writing and, in particular, on letter and diaries written by student women during the Nazi Occupation of France and I am currently writing an emotional history of the Occupation based on these and other primary sources. One of these sources is a diary written during the Occupation by former lecturer of French at Sheffield, Madeleine Blaess. I have translated the diary from the French and am currently considering publication possibilities. Please click here for more information about the Madeleine Blaess Project michallat.wordpress.com/projects/
Executive member of the Society for French Studies 2004-2012
Executive member of the Association of Modern & Contemporary France (Current)
External Examiner at University of Chichester
University Representative on Board of Trustees for Archbishop Holgate School, Barnsley.
Editorial Board of Journal of European Comic Art.
- ‘Mon cher Papa, ma chère Maman’ : The drôle de guerre of Madeleine Blaess' in Essays in French Literature and Culture - forthcoming in issue 49 2012
- 'Hélène Brion and the Missing Manuscripts' - forthcoming Journal of European Studies Sept/Dec 2013
- 'French popular Culture and the case of bande dessinée' in The Cambridge History of French Literature 2010
- 'Marie- Thérèse Eyquem: Feminism, Lesbianism and the Development of Women’s Sport under Vichy', Essays in French Literature and Culture, 2009.
- Defending Scholarly Vocation: Women student diarists and the experience of Occupation - currently under consideration for publication for 2013.
Lesbian Inscriptions in Francophone Society and Culture, edited Renate Gunther and Wendy Michallat Durham Modern Languages Series June 2007
- 'Modern life is still rubbish: Houellebecq and the refiguring of ‘reactionary’ retro', Journal of European Studies, Autumn 2007.
- 'Pilote magazine and the teenager bande dessinée', Modern and Contemporary France, Special Issue, Youth Culture in the Fifth Republic, Autumn 2007. Edited Wendy Michallat and Chris Tinker.
- 'Terrain de lutte: Women’s Football and Feminism in ‘Les anneés folles’', French Cultural Studies – Autumn 2007.
- ‘Pilote: Puberty, Pedagogy and Parents’, in Charles Forsdick and Billy Groves (eds), The Francophone Bande Dessinée, Rodopi 2005.
- ‘Gay-Rites: The Campaign for Lesbian and Gay Marriage in France’, Modern and Contemporary France, Spring 2006
- ‘Droit au but: Violette Morris and Women's Football in 'Les années folles'’, French Studies Bulletin, Winter (2005).
- ‘Fishing and the North Atlantic’ and ‘Whaling and the North Atlantic’, in France and the Americas, ed. by Bill Marshall (Oxford, ABC Clio, 2005)
I would be delighted to supervise or co-supervise thesis topics in French and Francophone popular culture (in particular cartoon art), French cultural history, French feminism of both the first and second wave, women and sport and women’s life-writing. I would be happy to consider co-supervisions and would be glad to assist finding suitable co-supervisors. Please send me an e-mail with your proposal in the first instance.
I teach on the following courses:
FRE107/8 French Studies
FRE269/FRE270 : La Bande dessinée (French cartoon art)
FRE293/294 : Realities and Falsehoods: The Occupation of France in Literature and Film.
FRE375 and FRE376: France in the Fifties
MDL201/301 - Cold War Visual Culture
IPA1010 – LGBT Studies
MA French Studies
MA European Gender Studies - Women's Sport/Feminist Publishing
Widening Participation and Outreach Coordinator for the School of Languages and Cultures
Level One and Level Two Tutor for French Department