Dr Stuart Cunningham, BEng, PhD
Department of Human Communication Sciences
University of Sheffield
362 Mushroom Lane
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 2421
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 2439
email : email@example.com
Dr Cunningham is a lecturer in Human Communication Sciences. Prior to joining the department he worked as a research associate in the department of Medical Physics and Clinical Engineering at Barnsley Hospital.
He has previously worked as a research associate in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Sheffield.
He obtained a BEng in Software Engineering and PhD in Computer Science from the University of Sheffield.
- Robust automatic speech recognition.
- The use of speech technology in assistive technology and speech and language therapy.
- Auditory-inspired representations of speech signals and their application in automatic speech recognition.
- The perception of speech in adverse acoustic conditions.
- Speech Therapy through Articulation Therapy - with Mark Hawley, Peter Cudd, Rebecca Palmer, and Pam Enderby.
University of Sheffield.
- Natural Speech Technology - PI Steve Renals (University of Edinburgh). EPSRC Programme Grant.
- Voice Input Voice Output Communication Aid - PI Mark Hawley. NIHR i4i programme.
- Development of test of audio visual speech perception for children - with Dilys Treharne and Harriet Crook. British Society of Audiology.
- Mark Hawley, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield.
- Pam Enderby, School of Health and Related Research, University of Sheffield.
- Phil Green, Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield.
- Herrmann, F., Cunningham, S. and Whiteside, S.P. (in press). Speaker sex effects on temporal and spectro-temporal measures of speech. Journal of the International Phonetic Association.
- Creer, S. M., Cunningham, S. P., Green, P. D., & Yamagishi, J. (2013). Building personalised synthetic voice for individuals with severe speech impairment. Computer Speech & Language, 27(6), 1178–1193.
- Hawley, M. S., Cunningham, S. P., Green, P. D., Enderby, P., Palmer, R., Sehgal, S., & Neill, P. O. (2013). A voice-input voice-output communication aid for people with severe speech impairment. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 21(1), 23–31.
- Creer, S., Cunningham, S., Hawley, M., & Wallis, P. (2011). Describing the interactive domestic robot setup for the SERA project. Applied Artificial Intelligence, 25(6), 445–473.
- Khan, Z. A., Green, P., Creer, S., & Cunningham, S. (2011). Reconstructing the voice of an individual following laryngectomy. Augmentative & Alternative Communication, 27(1), 61–6.
- Hawley, M. S., Enderby, P., Green, P., Cunningham, S., Brownsell, S., Carmichael, J., & Palmer, R. (2007). A speech-controlled environmental control system for people with severe dysarthria. Medical Engineering & Physics, 29(5), 586–593.