MA Architectural Design
School of Architecture, Faculty of Social Sciences
We are one of the UK’s top architecture schools. You’ll enjoy the freedom to express yourself and develop the skills you need for your career.
About the course
Course description 2017
This studio-based course will help you develop your own distinctive design practice. You’ll explore design processes and methodologies. There are opportunities to work on real-life projects with local and regional groups. You can take the course as a stand-alone MA or as preparation for a PhD via our PhD by Design programme.
- Special Design 1 ‘Live Project’
- Design Project 1 and 2
- Reflections on Architectural Design
- Thesis Design Project
- Route A – Research by Design (Theory) Critical Spatial Theory
- Route B – Research by Design (Practice) Theory and Research in Design, Environment and Technology in Design
Examples of optional modules
- Reflections on Architectural Education
- Conservation and Regeneration Principles and Approaches
- Conservation and Regeneration Traditional Materials and Techniques
- Conservation and Regeneration Policy and Law
- Participation in Urban Design and Architecture
- History and Theory of Urban Design
- Reflection on Urban Design Practice
- Principles of Building Physics for Sustainable Design
- Building Environmental Simulation and Analysis
- Renewable Energy
- Parametric Architectural Geometry
- Critical Application of Building Information Modelling
Teaching and assessment
Learning is through studio-based design work with individual and group tutorials, block seminars and workshops, traditional lecture modules, live projects involving real clients and real community projects.
You’ll be assessed on course assignments and examinations, design thesis and a dissertation.
1 year full-time
You’ll need a 2:1 honours degree or an equivalent qualification related to design in the built environment, such as architecture, landscape architecture or town planning.
Your degree doesn’t have to be design- based. If you have a lot of professional design experience we’ll consider your application.
We’d like to see your portfolio to get an idea of your design abilities. And we may ask you to come to an interview.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.