MA Crossways in Cultural Narratives (Mundus)
School of Languages and Cultures, Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Our courses are about overcoming language barriers. An MA from Sheffield prepares you for a career in a multilingual workplace.
About the course
Course description 2017
This ERASMUS-MUNDUS Masters programme is a truly international course: EU funded, multilingual, multidisciplinary and taught by a consortium of European and North and South American universities.
Literature is the main subject. The approach is comparative. There are also modules in aesthetics, the history of ideas, semiotics, linguistics and communication.
You’ll study at three of the participating universities. They are:
- University of Sheffield, England
- University of Bergamo, Italy
- New University of Lisbon, Portugal
- University of Perpignan, France
- University of Poznan, Poland
- University of St Andrews, Scotland
- University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- University Iberoamericana, Mexico
- University of Guelph, Canada
- Entre Rios University, Argentina
No core modules.
Examples of optional modules
- Critical Theory
- Visual Culture and Society in the Soviet Union
- French Cultural Studies
- French Gender Studies
- Modern Spanish Culture and Literature
- Spanish American Literature and Society
- Catalan Culture and Literature
- Contemporary Portuguese Language and Literature
- 19th-Century German Literary Studies
- 20th-Century German Literature
- Gender Studies in Europe
- Concepts and Approaches in Translation Studies
- Concepts and Approaches in Intercultural Communication
- Intercultural Communication in Practice
- Approaches to Translation Genres
Plus a large range of School of English modules. You can also take language-learning modules and an internship option is available.
Teaching and assessment
Teaching takes place through lectures, seminars, small-group work and workshops. You’ll be assessed by coursework.
2 years full-time
You'll need the equivalent of a first class or 2:1 BA degree in the same subject or related subjects to those you wish to study during the programme (French, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese).
You must be fluent in the languages of at least two of the countries in which you wish to study.
You can't apply directly to Sheffield for this course. For further information visit Crossways in Cultural Narratives.
Fees and funding
We don't have a fee for this course. Try this fee calculator or contact the department to check.
Under the EU Mundus scheme, several full value (fee and living-cost) bursaries are available to course participants from both non-EU and EU countries. Visit the course page for more information:
You can't apply directly to Sheffield for this course. For further information visit:
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.