MSc(Eng) Structural Engineering
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering
Civil Engineers help to create and protect the world we live in. Driven by teaching and research excellence, we inspire and empower our students to engineer a sustainable future.
About the course
Course description 2017
Develop skills in the analysis and design of steel and concrete structures. You can tailor the course to your specific interests, so it’s ideal for practising structural engineers who want to enhance their skills or for anyone pursuing a career in this field.
- Linear Systems and Structural Analysis
- Structural Design
- Computational Structural Analysis and Research Skills
- Structural Dynamics and Applications to Earthquake Engineering and Vibration
Examples of optional modules
- Innovations in Structural Concrete
- Advanced Concrete Design
- Structural Design and Fire Resistance of Medium Rise Steel-framed Buildings
- Advanced Simulation of High Strain Rate Dynamics
- Blast and Impact Effects on Structures
- Design of Earthquake Resistant Structures
- Geotechnical Design
- Sustainable Concrete Technology
Teaching and assessment
Lectures, design tutorials, computational tutorials, lab work and industrial seminars.
All courses use lectures by academic staff and industrial partners, laboratory work, site visits, design projects and dissertation. Assessment is by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation with oral examination.
- September–June: taught modules and preparation for your dissertation.
- June–August: complete your dissertation.
Your research dissertation gives you the opportunity to work with an academic on a piece of research in a subdiscipline. We’ll give you training in research skills.
- 1 year full-time
- 2 years part-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree (BEng, MEng, BSc) in civil or structural engineering or other appropriate engineering or science subject.
We’ll consider your application if you have appropriate professional qualifications and work experience, but you'll need a strong background in the areas covered on the course.
English Language Requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.