MSc Advanced Computer Science
Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering
Our project-based courses give you valuable hands-on experience. We teach you how to apply what you learn in business and industry, anywhere in the world.
About the course
Course description 2017
Accredited by the British Computer Society
Turn your fascination with how things work into a successful career in business or industry. We’ll give you an advanced education in the most up-to-date aspects of computer science and software engineering, informed by our wide-ranging research interests. Innovative project work will teach you how to apply your knowledge in the real world.
- Object-Oriented Programming and Software Design
- Research Methods and Professional Issues
- Dissertation Project
Examples of optional modules
- Text Processing
- Modelling and Simulation of Natural Systems
- Speech Processing
- Theory of Distributed Systems
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Computer Security and Forensics
- Testing and Verification in Safety-critical Systems
- Intelligent Web
- Machine Learning and Adaptive Intelligence
- Software and Hardware Verification
- Software Development for Mobile Devices
- Speech Technology
- Virtual Environments and Computer Games Technology
- Natural Language Processing
- Java E-Commerce
- Network Performance Analysis
Teaching and assessment
We use lectures, tutorials and group work. Assessment is by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation.
Minimum 2:1 honours degree in computer science or a closely related subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.