MSc(Eng) Advanced Software Engineering
Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Engineering
Our project-based courses give you valuable hands-on experience. We teach you how to apply what you learn in business and industry, anywhere in the world.
About the course
Course description 2017
Accredited by the British Computer Society
We teach you how to build robust, effective software systems, and how to critique and evaluate the latest software engineering techniques. Through project work, you’ll learn how to apply your knowledge in the real world.
Genesys: learning on the job
Genesys Solutions is unique: an IT company run by students, with its own premises next to the department. As a student on this course you can join the company to work on software projects for real clients in a real business environment.
- Object-Oriented Programming and Software Design
- Research Methods and Professional Issues
- Dissertation Project
- Testing and Verification in Safety-Critical Systems
Examples of optional modules
- Text Processing
- Modelling and Simulation of Natural Systems
- Speech Processing
- Theory of Distributed Systems
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Computer Security and Forensics
- Intelligent Web
- Machine Learning and Adaptive Intelligence
- Software and Hardware Verification
- Software Development for Mobile Devices
- Speech Technology
- Virtual Environments and Computer Games Technology
- Natural Language Processing
- Java E-Commerce
- Network Performance Analysis
- Genesys Solutions (Software House) modules
Teaching and assessment
We use lectures, tutorials and group work. You can also learn on the job in our student- run software engineering and consultancy business, Genesys Solutions. Assessment is by formal examinations, coursework assignments and a dissertation.
1 year full-time
Minimum 2:1 honours degree in computer science, software engineering or a closely related subject.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.