MSc/Diploma Clinical Research
School of Health and Related Research, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
We tackle some of the world’s greatest health challenges to improve the health and care of people across the globe.
About the course
Course description 2017
Develop the practical skills required to plan and undertake clinical or health services research. The course takes one year full-time or two to five years part-time. There are two routes available; a standard route and NIHR route for Academic Clinical Fellows in Medicine and Dentistry.
Applicants may also apply using the CPD application process and start by registering for one or two modules and later transfer to a full masters programme.
Core modules are determined by the course route followed and may include:
- Randomised Controlled Trials
- Introduction to Research Methods
- Introduction to Statistics for Clinical Research
- Clinical Research Practice or Practical Aspects of Clinical Research
- Dissertation or Research placement and portfolio
Examples of optional modules
- Promoting Evidence-Based Health Care
- Systematic Review and Critical Appraisal Techniques
- Public Health Informatics
- Further Statistics for Health Science Researchers
- Sociology of Health and Illness
- Complex Evaluation Methods
- Qualitative Research Design and Analysis
- Health Care Financing and Economic Evaluation
- Health Needs Assessment, Planning and Evaluation
Please visit our website for a full module list.
Teaching and assessment
There are lectures, tutorials, online activities and workshops. Research skills training is in small groups and by distance learning. Assessment is by coursework, examinations and a dissertation.
- 1 year full-time
- 2-5 years part-time by distance learning
A 2:1 honours degree in a clinical subject or equivalent professional qualification and experience.
English language requirements
Overall IELTS grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each component, or equivalent.
Fees and funding
You can apply for postgraduate study using our Postgraduate Online Application Form. It is a quick and easy process.
If you'd like to know more about any aspect of our courses, contact us:
Teaching Support Unit
The course information set out here may change before you begin, particularly if you are applying significantly in advance of the start date.