Mike Campbell (BA,MSc, PhD, CStat)
Professor of Medical Statistics
Design, Trials & Statistics, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Telephone: 20839 (internal), 0114 22208390114 2220839 (UK)
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I came to Sheffield in 1997 and joined the Institute of General Practice and Primary Care. I moved to the HSR Section in 2005 and was Section Head from 2006-9.
Qualifications: BA in Mathematics from York University, MSc in Probability and Statistics from Sheffield University and a PhD in Medical Statistics from Edinburgh University.
Previous jobs. MRC Pneumoconiosis Unit in Cardiff and at the University of Southampton -head of the Medical Statistics and Computing Group.
- Design of complex interventions including cluster randomised trials
- Statistics in Primary Care
- Sample size estimation
- Time series analysis, particularly applied to air pollution and health data
- Health Technology Assessment
- Hospital Mortality
- Director of Postgraduate Research, ScHARR(2012-2016)
- Member of NIHR Health Services and Delivery Research Commissioning Board (2010-2014)
- Director, Health Services Research Section ScHARR (2006-9)
- Chair, Medical Section Royal Statistical Society(2012-2014)
- Joint Editor Statistics in Medicine (2002-7)
- Member of Appraisal Committee, NICE (2000-10)
- Chair ScHARR Research Committee (1998-2005)
- Member HEFCE Research Assessment Exercise sub-Panel 12 Professions Allied to Medicine
- Deputy Director Institute of General Practice and Primary Care (2003)
- Member MRC Health Services Research Fellowships Panel (1997-2001)
- Member NHS Research Capacity Development National Primary Care Awards Panel (1999-2002)
- Chair Royal Statistical Society Examination Board (1997-2002)
HTA -In utero magnetic resonance imaging of fetal brain abnormalities Griffiths C, Robson S, Campbell MJ, Cooper C Reeves M and Graham M 3 years £1.9M
HTA- REPOSE (Relative Effectiveness of Pumps Over MDI and Structured Education) Trial Heller S, Amiel S, Brennan A, Campbell M, Lawton J £1.5M
|NIHR Programme Grant. Developing new ways of measuring the impact of ambulance service care, PHOEBE – Pre Hospital Outcomes for Evidence Based Evaluation. Siriwardena N, Turner J, Nicholl J. Goodacre S, Lyons R. Booth A, Snooks H, Brazier J, Grey J, Walker, A, Campbell M, Coster J, O’Cathain A, Meechan D £1.98M|
DoH Policy Research Programme., The value of 25 hydroxyvitamin D as a biomarker in obesity Eastell R, Walsh J, Naylor K, Barker M, Dimitri P, Campbell M, Schoenmakers I £350K
NIHR Programme Grant. DAFNEPlus. (2015) A lifelong approach to promote effective self-management in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Heller S (PI) Cohen J, Brennan A, Baird W, Lawton J, Yardley L Campbell MJ £2.5M
Mike Campbell is based in the Health Services Research section.
Please click here to view a full list of Mike Campbell's publications.
- Campbell MJ & Walters SJ (2014) How to Design, Analyse and Report Cluster Randomised Trials in Medicine and Health Related Research. John Wiley & Sons.
- Campbell MJ (2014) Challenges of cluster randomized trials.. J Comp Eff Res, 3(3), 271-281.
- Whitehead AL, Sully BG & Campbell MJ (2014) Pilot and feasibility studies: is there a difference from each other and from a randomised controlled trial?. Contemp Clin Trials, 38(1), 130-133.
- Nicholl J, Jacques RM & Campbell MJ (2013) Direct risk standardisation: a new method for comparing casemix adjusted event rates using complex models.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 13, 133. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Campbell MJ, Jacques RM, Fotheringham J, Maheswaran R & Nicholl J (2012) Developing a summary hospital mortality index: retrospective analysis in English hospitals over five years.. BMJ, 344, e1001. View this article in White Rose Research Online