Laura Gray BSc, MSc, PhD
Research Associate in Econometrics
Health Economics and Decision Science (HEDS)
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0885
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined HEDS as a Research Associate in Health Econometrics in September 2014. Prior to this post I was funded by an ESRC CASE studentship with NICE as a PhD candidate, also in HEDS, supervised by Dr Mónica Hernández. My thesis was titled “A Public Health Approach to Childhood Obesity: The Role of Econometrics”. The thesis uses a variety of advanced econometric techniques over three empirical studies. These studies investigate the effects of breastfeeding on childhood obesity, the impact of family lifestyle on childhood obesity and the relationships between childhood obesity, family lifestyle and health.
Before joining HEDS, I completed an MSc in Financial Economics (2009-2010) in the Department of Economics and a BSc in Economics and Statistics (2006-2009) in the School of Mathematics and Statistics, both at the University of Sheffield.
I am interested in microeconometric methods development and applied microeconomics, particularly in relation to obesity and health behaviours.
I am interested in supervising students using observational data in a range of topic areas using microeconometrics methods.
I am the student experience officer for postgraduate research students in ScHARR.
- Member of ScHARR PGR Committee 2012-2013 & 2017 - present
- Member of HEDS Research Functional Working Group 2016 - present
- ScHARR Student Experience Officer 2017 - present
- HEDS PGR Lead 2016 - present
- Member of MDH Faculty Student Committee 2012 - 2013
- ScHARR PGR Student Representative 2012 - 2013
- European Society for Population Economics (ESPE) member
- European Economics Association (EEA) member
- Women in Economics (WinE) member
- Health Economics Study Group (HESG) member
- Stevenson MD, Wailoo AJ, Tosh JC, Hernandez-Alava M, Gibson LA, Stevens JW, Archer RJ, Simpson EL, Hock ES, Young A & Scott DL (2017) The Cost-effectiveness of Sequences of Biological Disease-modifying Antirheumatic Drug Treatment in England for Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis Who Can Tolerate Methotrexate. Journal of Rheumatology. View this article in WRRO
- Gibson LA, Hernandez M, Kelly MP & Campbell MJ (2016) The effects of breastfeeding on childhood BMI: a propensity score matching approach. Journal of Public Health. View this article in WRRO
Theses / Dissertations
- Gibson LA (2016) A public health approach to childhood obesity: the role of econometrics.