Dr Vanessa Halliday SFHEA, PhD, RD
Section of Public Health
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
The University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
Office: Room G045, Ground Floor, Regent Court
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 4268
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0749
I joined the School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR) in 2013 as a Lecturer in Public Health. My undergraduate degree was in animal nutrition and physiology, following which I completed a PG Diploma in Dietetics. Since 1996 I have been a registered dietitian, working for a number of NHS organisations, predominantly in the field of oncology and palliative care. In 2005 the opportunity arose for me to pursue a career in higher education. I joined the University of Nottingham as a Teacher Practitioner, and subsequently as a Lecturer in Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics. My role involved contributing to the teaching and clinical placement management on the undergraduate Master of Nutrition course. More recently, as Course Director for the Master of Public Health by distance learning programme (MPH DL), I have developed an enthusiastic interest in the use of technology to enhance our students’ experience of online learning at the University of Sheffield.
My research interests are primarily around the prevention and treatment of malnutrition in vulnerable population groups. Whilst the majority of my work has focussed on undernutrition and nutrition support, I am also interested in the management of obesity. I have experience of using quantitative approaches, including the development of health measurement scales, as well as qualitative methods.
My approach to teaching is student centred and focuses on real-world practice, whether this be in the subject area of nutrition or research methodology. Sharing enthusiasm for my subject area with my students is important. Equally so is sharing my enthusiasm for teaching with my peers. In 2015 I became a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
As the Section Director of Learning and Teaching for Public Health I am able to contribute to the coordination and management of learning and teaching in ScHARR.
I am also the Course Director for the Master of Public Health (Distance Learning) programme and a champion of technology enhanced learning and the related pedagogy.
Current teaching involvement:
HAR6053 Dissertation (DL) Module Leader
MED615 Clinical Nutrition Deputy Module Leader
Dissertation Supervisor for students on MPH, MSc Clinical Research and MMedSci Human Nutrition.
I am interested in supervising research students in topics related to clinical nutrition and public health nutrition.
I am a Registered Dietitian with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), and a member of the British Dietetic Associaiton (BDA).
Investigating the effect of post-operative home jejunostomy feeding on quality of life and nutritional parameters in patients with oesophago-gastric cancer
In collaboration with a research team at University Hospitals Leicester. The study is funded by a Research for Patient Benefit (RfPB), National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), grant.
Investigating neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) for people with non-small cell lung cancer receiving chemotherapy. Funded by a National Cancer Research Institute Lung Cancer Supportive and Palliative Care grant. My involvement was with the qualitiative arm of this study. The aim was to provide detailed understanding about the use of NMES from the patient's prospective (2009-2011).
Predicting weight loss in people with cancer. This mixed methods research project was funded by a capacity building grant from the National Cancer Research Institute. The study involved the reliability and predictive validity testing of a cancer appetite and symptom questionnaire. In addition, qualitative interviews were conducted to explore the experiences of weight loss in people with lung and upper GI cancer (2007-2010).
- Spexoto MCB, Serrano SV, Halliday V, Maroco J & Campos JADB (2016) Cancer Appetite and Symptom Questionnaire (CASQ) for Brazilian Patients: Cross-Cultural Adaptation and Validation Study. PLOS ONE, 11(6), e0156288-e0156288. View this article in WRRO
- Baker M, Halliday V, Williams RN & Bowrey DJ (2016) A systematic review of the nutritional consequences of esophagectomy. Clinical Nutrition, 35(5), 987-994.
- Howard-Drake EJ & Halliday V (2016) Exploring primary school headteachers' perspectives on the barriers and facilitators of preventing childhood obesity: Table 1. Journal of Public Health, 38(1), 44-52.
- Bowrey DJ, Baker M, Halliday V, Thomas AL, Pulikottil-Jacob R, Smith K, Morris T & Ring A (2015) A randomised controlled trial of six weeks of home enteral nutrition versus standard care after oesophagectomy or total gastrectomy for cancer: report on a pilot and feasibility study.. Trials, 16(1), 531-531. View this article in WRRO
- Halliday V, Baker M, Thomas AL & Bowrey D (2015) Patient and Family Caregivers' Experiences of Living With a Jejunostomy Feeding Tube After Surgery for Esophagogastric Cancer.. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr.
- Carr SE & Halliday V (2014) Investigating the use of the neutropenic diet: A survey of UK dietitians. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Bowrey DJ, Baker M, Halliday V, Thomas AL, Pulikottil-Jacob R & Smith K (2014) Six weeks of home enteral nutrition versus standard care after esophagectomy or total gastrectomy for cancer: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 15(1).
- Brown A, England R, St-John J, Taylor V, Manderson C, Halliday V & Wilcock A (2013) The liking and preferences of people with thoracic cancer for oral nutritional supplement drinks. e-SPEN Journal, 8(2), e55-e58.
- Byrne A, Maddocks M, Halliday V, Chauhan A, Taylor V, Nelson A, Sampson C, Griffiths G & Wilcock A (2013) Is neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) an acceptable and feasible exercise intervention for patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) receiving palliative chemotherapy? Preliminary results from the NCRI NMES trial. LUNG CANCER, 79, S46-S47.
- Maddocks M, Halliday V, Chauhan A, Taylor V, Nelson A, Sampson C, Byrne A, Griffiths G & Wilcock A (2013) Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation of the Quadriceps in Patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Receiving Palliative Chemotherapy: A Randomized Phase II Study. PLoS ONE, 8(12), e86059-e86059.
- Halliday V, Porock D, Arthur A, Manderson C & Wilcock A (2012) Development and testing of a cancer appetite and symptom questionnaire. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 25(3), 217-224.
- Halliday V, Kierczuk G, Madhusudan S, Parsons S & Wilcock A (2010) Screening for malnutrition: Implications for upper gastrointestinal cancer services. Journal of Surgical Oncology, 102(5), 543-544.
- Chauhan A, Siddall V, Wilcock A, Mallawathantri S, Baldwin DR & Johnston ID (2007) NICE guidance for screening for malnutrition: implications for lung cancer services. Thorax, 62(9), 835-835.
- Saxton JM, Daley A, Woodroofe N, Coleman R, Powers H, Mutrie N, Siddall V & Crank H (2006) Study protocol to investigate the effect of a lifestyle intervention on body weight, psychological health status and risk factors associated with disease recurrence in women recovering from breast cancer treatment [ISRCTN08045231]. BMC Cancer, 6(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ashman M, Halliday V & Cunnane J () Qualitative investigation of the Wellness Recovery Action Plan in a UK NHS crisis care setting. Issues in Mental Health Nursing (Informa). View this article in WRRO
- Halliday V (2012) Oxford Handbook of Nutrition and Dietetics In Webster-Gandy J, Madden A & Holdsworth M (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of Nutrition and Dietetics Oxford University Press
- Halliday V (2011) Palliative Care Formulary In Twycross R & Wilcock A (Ed.), Palliative Care Formulary Radcliffe Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Baker M, Halliday V, Ring A & Bowrey D (2015) OC-113 Contribution of home jejunostomy feeding in meeting energy and protein requirements in the months following oesophagogastric resection for cancer: Abstract OC-113 Table 1. Gut, Vol. 64(Suppl 1) (pp A56.2-A57)
- Bowrey D, Baker M, Halliday V, Thomas A, Pulikottil-Jacob R, Smith K, Morris T & Ring A (2015) PTU-138 A randomised controlled trial of six weeks of home enteral nutrition versus standard care after oesophagectomy or total gastrectomy for cancer: report on a pilot and feasibility study. Gut, Vol. 64(Suppl 1) (pp A123.2-A124)
- Owers CE, Halliday V & Ackroyd R (2014) PERFORMING QUALITATIVE INTERVIEWS WITH POST-OPERATIVE PATIENTS CAN OFFER VALUABLE INSIGHTS INTO WHAT EDUCATION WE SHOULD PROVIDE TO NEW BARIATRIC SURGERY CANDIDATES. OBESITY SURGERY, Vol. 24(8) (pp 1186-1186)
- Baker M, Kavanagh S, Thompson C, Thomas A, Halliday V, Smith K, Ring A, Morris T, Williams R & Bowrey D (2014) In hospital nutritional intake in patients undergoing elective oesophagogastric resection. BRITISH JOURNAL OF SURGERY, Vol. 101 (pp 38-38)
- Scott E, Daley A, Woodroofe N, Coleman R, Powers H, Mutrie N, Siddall V, Crank H & Saxton JM (2007) The effect of a lifestyle intervention on body weight, psychological health status, and risk factors associated with disease recurrence in women recovering from breast cancer treatment: Study protocol and interim findings. JOURNAL OF NUTRITION, Vol. 137(1) (pp 284S-284S)