Professor Walter Marcotti
Professor of Sensory Neuroscience
Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator
Department of Biomedical Science
Centre for Sensory Neuroscience
Alfred Denny Building (B1 221)
University of Sheffield
Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
- Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 1098
- Email: email@example.com
- Molecular and physiological mechanisms controlling the functional maturation of the auditory system.
- Mechanoelectrical transduction at the hair cell stereocilia
- Signal processing at ribbon synapses
- Age-related hearing loss
- Mechanisms underlying different forms of hearing loss and deafness
- 2012 - present: Professor of Sensory Neuroscience
- 2006 - present: Royal Society University Research Fellow, University of Sheffield, UK.
- 2004 - 2005: Royal Society University Research Fellow, University of Sussex, UK.
- 2001 - 2004: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Sussex, UK.
- 1997 - 2000: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Bristol, UK.
- 1994 - 1997: PhD, University of Pavia, Italy.
- 1989 - 1992: University Degree in Biological Science, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy.
Awards and prizes
- Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator (2014)
- Sharpey-Schafer Lecture and Prize (2011) – Physiological Society, Oxford.
- Royal Society University Research Fellowship (2004), The Royal Society, UK.
- Reviewing editor for Journal of Physiology
- BBSRC Core panel member – Panel A
- Grant reviewer for UK/EU Research Councils and Charities
- Reviewer for many leading scientific journals
Current grants funding
- Prof Steve Brown & Dr Mike Bowl (MRC Harwell, Oxford, UK)
- Prof Corne Kros (University of Sussex, Brighton, UK)
Recent publications (2016) - Full publications list at PubMed
- Corns LF, Johnson SL, Kros CJ, Marcotti W (2016).
Tmc1 Point Mutation Affects Ca2+ Sensitivity and Block by Dihydrostreptomycin of the Mechanoelectrical Transducer Current of Mouse Outer Hair Cells.
J Neurosci 36:336-349.
- Olt J, Allen CE, Marcotti W (2016)
In vivo physiological recording from the lateral line of juvenile zebrafish.
J Physiol (doi: 10.1113/JP271794)
- Marcotti W, Corns LF, Goodyear RJ, Rzadzinska AK, Avraham KB, Steel KP, Richardson GP, Kros CJ (2016)
The acquisition of mechano-electrical transducer current adaptation in auditory hair cells requires myosin VI.
J Physiol 594:3667-3681.
- Olt J, Ordoobadi AJ, Marcotti W, Trapani JG (2016)
Physiological recordings from the zebrafish lateral line.
Methods Cell Biol 133:253-79.
- Corns LF, *Marcotti W (2016).
Piezo1 haploinsufficiency does not alter mechanotransduction in mouse cochlear outer hair cells.
Physiol Rep4: e12701
- Carrott L, Bowl MR, Aguilar C, Johnson SL, Chessum L, West M, Morse S, Dorning J, Smart E, Hardisty-Hughes R, Ball G, Parker A, Barnard AR, MacLaren RE, Wells S, Marcotti W, Brown SD (2016).
Absence of Neuroplastin-65 Affects Synaptogenesis in Mouse Inner Hair Cells and Causes Profound Hearing Loss.
J Neurosci 36:222-234.
- Ingham NJ, Huma AC, Martinez-Vega R, Lewis MA, Houston O, Bardhan T, Johnson SL, Varela-Nieto I, Yuan H, White JK, Marcotti W, Steel KP (2016)
Wbp2 controls expression of key post-synaptic proteins in the cochlea and is crucial for hearing.
EMBO Mol Med 8: 191-207.
- Tavazzani E, Spaiardi P, Zampini V, Contini D, Manca M, Russo G, Prigioni I, Marcotti W, Masetto S. (2016)
Distinct roles of Eps8 in the maturation of cochlear and vestibular hair cells.
Neuroscience 328: 80-91.