A*STAR-Sheffield Research Attachment Programme
This prestigious scheme gives PhD students at the University of Sheffield the unique opportunity to carry out part of their studies in Singapore as part of a partnership agreement with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR).
PhD students on the A*STAR-Sheffield Research Attachment Programme receive half their training (2 years) in Singapore. Their PhD research is carried out in English at an A*STAR Research Institute and they are jointly supervised by academics from both institutions. Further details about the A*Star institutions are available on their website.
A*Star will provide the following financial support, whilst the student is in Singapore:
* Living allowance: A monthly stipend of two thousand, five hundred Singapore Dollars (~£1,050) whilst in Singapore.
* A one-off "settling-in allowance" of one thousand Singapore dollars (~£420).
* A one-time airfare allowance of one thousand five hundred Singapore dollars (~£630).
* Consumables and Bench Fees incurred by students when based at A*Star in Singapore.
* Cost of medical insurance while the student is based at A*Star
Fee scholarships and a stipend at standard RCUK level (£14,057 in 2015/16) will be provided by the University of Sheffield while the student is fully registered at Sheffield. Please note that there is no funding for RTSG, conference expenses, or additional bench fees while in Sheffield.
Awards are tenable for a maximum of four years, subject to satisfactory progress.
- Academic requirements – applicants should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK in an appropriate area of study.
- Allowed study options – applicants should be registering on their first year of study with the University for 2016/17 on an eligible programme of doctoral study (after 1st October 2016).
- Residency restrictions – awards are open to UK and EU applicants only.
How to apply
Applications for this scheme are made by the proposed supervisor at the University of Sheffield. If you are interested you should contact a potential supervisor to discuss.
If you have any questions about the A*STAR-Sheffield Research Attachment Programme please email firstname.lastname@example.org.