The world needs more female engineers.
Women are currently underrepresented in engineering – a fact that leads to a loss of talent and innovation in the discipline. Our Women in Engineering Initiative aims to redress this gender imbalance. Perceptions and stereotypes around the concept of engineering can act as a barrier to women entering the field.
Raising the profile of talented female engineers and widening the general understanding of engineering are key targets of the programme. We're also making innovative changes to our working culture to ensure we have an environment where both women and men thrive through academic and personal achievement.
Our activities include:
• Raising the profile of female engineers at Sheffield
• Promoting a wider understanding of engineering for the next generation of girls
• Working to achieve Athena SWAN accreditation for gender diversity in all engineering departments
• Supporting the Women in Engineering Student Society
• Taking part in the University of Sheffield Women@TUOS Network.