Dr Thomas Webb BA, MSc, PhD
Address Room 2-43, Department of Psychology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, S10 2TP, UK
Tel: (+44) (0)114 22 26516
I am a social psychologist, interested in self-regulation and behaviour change. Specifically, I am interested in how people achieve their goals and make changes to their behaviour.
The usual answer is that people need to be motivated. However, even medium-to-large changes in people's intentions seem to have only a small-to-medium effect on their behavior. In short, motivation is not enough. As a result, much of my research to date has investigated how the effects of motivation can be boosted by forming specific plans - known as "implementation intentions" - that link good opportunities to act with suitable responses to those opportunities.
In Summer 2011 I was awarded an ERC Starting Independent Researcher Grant (£700k) to investigate the role of monitoring (and not monitoring) in goal striving. The project proposes that there is an 'ostrich problem' such that people bury their heads in the sand and fail to monitor the relation between their current behaviour and their desired behaviour.
Teaching and administrative duties
I am module organiser for PSY330: The Psychology of Goals and Goal Striving. I am Chair of the Department Ethics Subcommittee, Learning and Teaching Development Champion and, thus, a member of the Psychology Teaching Committee. I am also responsible for student evaluation of teaching, and overseeing research participation.
I was Associate Editor at the European Journal of Social Psychology (2010-2014) and am currently on the Editorial Boards of the British Journal of Health Psychology, Psychology & Health, Health Psychology Review, and Motivation and Emotion
Current Postgraduate Students
Links to other web profiles
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Christou-Champi S, Farrow TFD & Webb TL (2015) Automatic control of negative emotions: Evidence that structured practice increases the efficiency of emotion regulation. Cognition and Emotion, 29(2), 319-331. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Kaklamanou D, Jones CR, Webb TL & Walker SR (2015) Using Public Transport Can Make Up for Flying Abroad on Holiday: Compensatory Green Beliefs and Environmentally Significant Behavior. Environment and Behavior, 47(2), 184-204.
- Hanson K, Webb TL, Sheeran P & Turpin G (2015) Attitudes and Preferences towards Self-help Treatments for Depression in Comparison to Psychotherapy and Antidepressant Medication.. Behav Cogn Psychother, 1-11.
- Koole SL, Webb TL & Sheeran PL (2015) Implicit emotion regulation: Feeling better without knowing why. Current Opinion in Psychology, 3, 6-10.
- Benn Y, Webb TL, Chang BP & Reidy J (2015) What information do consumers consider, and how do they look for it, when shopping for groceries online?. Appetite, 89, 265-273.
- Hallam GP, Webb TL, Sheeran P, Miles E, Wilkinson ID, Hunter MD, Barker AT, Woodruff PW, Totterdell P, Lindquist KA & Farrow TF (2015) The neural correlates of emotion regulation by implementation intentions.. PLoS One, 10(3), e0119500.
- Prestwich A, Webb TL & Conner M (2015) Using theory to develop and test interventions to promote changes in health behaviour: Evidence, issues, and recommendations. Current Opinion in Psychology, 5, 1-5.
- Taylor C, Webb TL & Sheeran P (2014) 'I deserve a treat!': justifications for indulgence undermine the translation of intentions into action.. Br J Soc Psychol, 53(3), 501-520.
- Scott FL, Jones CR & Webb TL (2014) What do people living in deprived communities in the UK think about household energy efficiency interventionsα. Energy Policy, 66, 335-349.
- Maidment CD, Jones CR, Webb TL, Hathway EA & Gilbertson JM (2014) The impact of household energy efficiency measures on health: A meta-analysis. Energy Policy, 65, 583-593.
- Rennie LJ, Harris PR & Webb TL (2014) The impact of perspective in visualizing health-related behaviors: First-person perspective increases motivation to adopt health-related behaviors. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 44(12), 806-812.
- Hallam GP, Webb TL, Sheeran P, Miles E, Niven K, Wilkinson ID, Hunter MD, Woodruff PW, Totterdell P & Farrow TF (2014) The neural correlates of regulating another person's emotions: an exploratory fMRI study.. Front Hum Neurosci, 8, 376. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Epton T, Norman P, Dadzie AS, Harris PR, Webb TL, Sheeran P, Julious SA, Ciravegna F, Brennan A, Meier PS, Naughton D, Petroczi A, Kruger J & Shah I (2014) A theory-based online health behaviour intervention for new university students (U@Uni): results from a randomised controlled trial.. BMC Public Health, 14, 563. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Benn Y & Chang B (2014) Antecedents and consequences of monitoring domestic electricity consumption. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 40, 228-238.
- Benn Y, Webb TL, Chang BP, Sun YH, Wilkinson ID & Farrow TF (2014) The neural basis of monitoring goal progress.. Front Hum Neurosci, 8, 688.
- Niven K, Totterdell P, Miles E, Webb TL & Sheeran P (2013) Achieving the same for less: improving mood depletes blood glucose for people with poor (but not good) emotion control.. Cogn Emot, 27(1), 133-140.
- Epton T, Norman P, Sheeran P, Harris PR, Webb TL, Ciravegna F, Brennan A, Meier P, Julious SA, Naughton D, Petroczi A, Dadzie AS & Kruger J (2013) A theory-based online health behavior intervention for new university students: study protocol.. BMC Public Health, 13, 107. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Martijn C, Sheeran P, Wesseldijk LW, Merrick H, Webb TL, Roefs A & Jansen A (2013) Evaluative conditioning makes slim models less desirable as standards for comparison and increases body satisfaction. Health Psychology, 32(4), 433-438.
- Miles E, Sheeran P & Webb TL (2013) Meta-analytic estimates predict the effectiveness of emotion regulation strategies in the "real world": Reply to Augustine and Hemenover (2013). Psychological Bulletin, 139(3), 730-734.
- Webb TL, Chang BPI & Benn Y (2013) 'The Ostrich Problem': Motivated avoidance or rejection of information about goal progress. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 7(11), 794-807. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Sheeran P & Pepper J (2012) Gaining control over responses to implicit attitude tests: Implementation intentions engender fast responses on attitude-incongruent trials.. Br J Soc Psychol, 51(1), 13-32.
- Webb TL, Sheeran P, Totterdell P, Miles E, Mansell W & Baker S (2012) Using implementation intentions to overcome the effect of mood on risky behaviour.. Br J Soc Psychol, 51(2), 330-345.
- Webb TL, Miles E & Sheeran P (2012) Dealing With Feeling: A Meta-Analysis of the Effectiveness of Strategies Derived From the Process Model of Emotion Regulation. PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLETIN, 138(4), 775-808.
- Webb TL, Sheeran P, Gollwitzer PM & Troetschel R (2012) Strategic Control Over the Unhelpful Effects of Primed Social Categories and Goals. ZEITSCHRIFT FUR PSYCHOLOGIE-JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, 220(3), 187-193.
- Webb TL, Gallo IS, Miles E, Gollwitzer PM, Gollwitzer PM & Sheeran P (2012) Effective regulation of affect: An action control perspective on emotion regulation. European Review of Social Psychology, 23(1), 143-186.
- Lavda AC, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2012) A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological interventions for adults with skin conditions.. Br J Dermatol, 167(5), 970-979.
- Varley R, Webb TL & Sheeran P (2011) Making self-help more helpful: a randomized controlled trial of the impact of augmenting self-help materials with implementation intentions on promoting the effective self-management of anxiety symptoms.. J Consult Clin Psychol, 79(1), 123-128.
- Webb TL (2011) Advice-taking as an unobtrusive measure of prejudice.. Behav Res Methods, 43(4), 953-963.
- Gollwitzer PM, Gollwitzer PM, Sheeran P, Trötschel R & Webb TL (2011) Self-regulation of priming effects on behavior. Psychological Science, 22(7), 901-907.
- Webb TL, Joseph J, Yardley L & Michie S (2010) Using the internet to promote health behavior change: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of theoretical basis, use of behavior change techniques, and mode of delivery on efficacy.. J Med Internet Res, 12(1), e4. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Ononaiye MS, Sheeran P, Reidy JG & Lavda A (2010) Using implementation intentions to overcome the effects of social anxiety on attention and appraisals of performance.. Pers Soc Psychol Bull, 36(5), 612-627. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Sniehotta FF & Michie S (2010) Using theories of behaviour change to inform interventions for addictive behaviours.. Addiction, 105(11), 1879-1892. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Sheeran P & Luszczynska A (2009) Planning to break unwanted habits: habit strength moderates implementation intention effects on behaviour change.. Br J Soc Psychol, 48(Pt 3), 507-523. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Goodman RL, Webb TL & Stewart AJ (2009) Communicating Stereotype-Relevant Information: Is Factual Information Subject to the Same Communication Biases as Fictional Information?. PERS SOC PSYCHOL B, 35(7), 836-852. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2008) Mechanisms of implementation intention effects: the role of goal intentions, self-efficacy, and accessibility of plan components.. Br J Soc Psychol, 47(Pt 3), 373-395. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2007) How do implementation intentions promote goal attainment? A test of component processes. J EXP SOC PSYCHOL, 43(2), 295-302. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Poliakoff E & Webb TL (2007) What factors predict scientists' intentions to participate in public engagement of science activities?. SCI COMMUN, 29(2), 242-263. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL, Christian J & Armitage CJ (2007) Helping students turn up for class: Does personality moderate the effectiveness of an implementation intention intervention?. LEARN INDIVID DIFFER, 17(4), 316-327. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2006) Does changing behavioral intentions engender bahaviour change? A meta-analysis of the experimental evidence. PSYCHOL BULL, 132(2), 249-268. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2005) Integrating concepts from goal theories to understand the achievement of personal goals. EUR J SOC PSYCHOL, 35(1), 69-96. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Sheeran P, Webb TL & Gollwitzer PM (2005) The interplay between goal intentions and implementation intentions.. Pers Soc Psychol Bull, 31(1), 87-98. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Sheeran P, Aarts H, Custers R, Rivis A, Webb TL & Cooke R (2005) The goal-dependent automaticity of drinking habits.. Br J Soc Psychol, 44(Pt 1), 47-63. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2004) Identifying good opportunities to act: Implementation intentions and cue discrimination. EUR J SOC PSYCHOL, 34(4), 407-419. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Webb TL & Sheeran P (2003) Can implementation intentions help to overcome ego-depletion?. J EXP SOC PSYCHOL, 39(3), 279-286. View this article in White Rose Research Online