Daniel Jary (he/him)
BA(Hons), DipArch, AB, PFHEA
School of Architecture
Senior University Teacher
+44 114 222 0321
Full contact details
School of Architecture
I have been teaching in the School of Architecture since 2001, leading and teaching on programmes and modules in both UG and MArch. Since 2015 I have been teaching in MArch and PGT, where I lead a MArch design studio and mentor live projects. Prior to this my teaching was focussed on UG, initially as Year One Leader and then as Undergraduate Course Director. In 2011 I received a Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, awarded in recognition
of inspirational learning and teaching.
Since 2014 I have been a member of the School of Architecture’s Executive Committee, playing a key role in strategic planning, and maintaining an overview of all taught programmes. In my current role of Director of Curriculum Development I am responsible for the development and enhancement of taught courses across the School of Architecture.
My approach to teaching is informed by a desire to see innovation and change in the way students learn, challenging outdated modes of delivery and assessment which discourage participation in architectural education.
Since 2017 I have been Co-Chair of the Association of Architectural Educators (aae), having been involved in the strategic leadership of the organisation since its formation in 2011. 37 UK Schools of Architecture currently have institutional membership of the aae, which brings together teachers and researchers seeking to challenge the toxic cultures which exist both within education and the wider profession.
The aae publishes Charrette, an open access peer-reviewed journal for academics and practitioners involved in architectural education, and every 18 months the aae holds an international peer reviewed conference. These provide an open forum for the sharing and evaluation of best practice.
In 2022 I was awarded Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA) in recognition of my sustained record of effectiveness in strategic leadership of high quality learning, and demonstration that my leadership has had extensive impact.
- Research interests
Although I am on a teaching only contract, my teaching has been greatly informed by research and scholarship undertaken both within the School of Architecture and externally. To promote change in architectural education I have led in the creation of a strong culture of pedagogic scholarship, both at SSoA and across architectural education.
Examples of my own scholarship:
- 2023 ‘Productive Disruptive’
- 6th International Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators at Cardiff University.
- Paper presentation: ‘Unconscious Engagement: Overcoming Barriers to Action in Marginalised Communities’.
- 2021 ‘Planning a sustainable future for universities’
- Annual Higher Education Design Quality Forum (HEDQF) Conference, London School of Economics.
- Presentation showcasing the work of my MArch design studio alongside SSoA students awarded the HEDQF Student Prize 2020.
- 2018 TUoS Annual Learning + Teaching Conference.
- Paper presentation: ‘Developing a Flexible Pathways Approach to Curriculum Design’.
- 2017 ‘Architecture Connects’
- 4th International Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators at Oxford Brookes University.
- Paper presentation: ‘Reflections on Architectural Education’.
- 2017 ‘Breaking the Mould’
- Third Annual Design Quality in Higher Education Design Quality Forum Conference, Sheffield.
- Invited to present the work of MArch students in Studio: Collaborative Production.
- 2017 Engaging Students in a Research Intensive Environment’
- Eleventh Annual University Learning and Teaching Conference, Sheffield.
- Paper presentation: ‘Collaborative production – working with marginalised communities’.
- 2016 ‘Research-Based Education’
- 3rd Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators, Bartlett UCL.
- Member of steering group, and peer review of conference papers.
- 2015 ‘Future Learning’
- Teaching Excellence in Social Sciences Conference, Sheffield.
- Paper presentation: ‘Assessing Liveness’.
- 2014 ‘Living and Learning’
- 2nd Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators, Sheffield.
- Successful bid to host, and peer review of conference papers.
- 2014 Sino UK Symposium, Sheffield School of Architecture
- Paper presentation: ‘Strategies for Integration’.
- 2012 ‘Healthy Design, Creative Safety’ (HSE publications)
- Leo Care, Daniel Jary, Rosie Parnell
- 2011 ‘Healthy Design, Creative Safety’ Symposium, Sheffield.
- Organiser, Chair and paper presentation outlining findings of RIBA/HSE research project.
- 2008 Kings Cross Charrette Design Proposals
- Architects Journal Special Issue (04.09.08)
- Sauce Architecture
- 2003 Contributor to ‘Building Clouds, Drifting Walls’
- Morrow, Ruth et al. (Bank of Ideas Publications)
- 2023 ‘Productive Disruptive’
- Teaching activities
All current teaching listed is from 2015 to present. In addition to this I contribute to studio design reviews across all taught programmes.
MArch Studio Lead – Studio: Collaborative Production
The studio explores the creation of an environmentally sustainable and socially dynamic urban neighbourhood based on interdependency, social capital and local value. Students collaborate with stakeholders and specialists from within and outside the University.
MArch/PGT Live Project Mentor
2015 – Pitsmoor Playground
2016 – Goldthorpe Cuttings
2017 – Penistone LIVE!
2018 – Woodbourne Connection
2019 – Friends of SADACCA
2020 – SADACCA Bantu Archive
2021 – Creative Dearne
2022 – Storying Goldthorpe
ARC571 Reflections on Architectural Education
The module explores the context of architectural education as well as observing current thinking on techniques for learning and teaching in the design studio. Students design and implement a piece of Action Research, actively exploring and shaping teaching practice in the School of Architecture.
MArch Dissertation Supervisor
Dissertation supervisor for critical written study on a range of topics chosen by the student. Particular focus on pedagogy and widening participation.
Undergraduate Special Studies Supervisor
Supervisor for critical written study on a range of topics chosen by the student. Particular focus on pedagogy and widening participation.
- Professional activities and memberships
- Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (PFHEA), 2022.
- Co-Chair of the Association of Architectural Educators (aae), 2017-present.
- ARB Registered Architect, 1995-present.
- Newcastle University School of Architecture 2023 - present
External Examiner for MArch (RIBA part 2) degree programme.
- Dundee School of Architecture, University of Dundee 2018 - 2022
External Examiner for BA Architecture (RIBA part 1) and MArch (RIBA part 2) degree programmes.
- Birmingham School of Architecture, Birmingham City University 2014 - 2017
External Examiner for BA Architecture (RIBA part 1) degree programme.
- Administrative roles
Director of Curriculum Development 2022 – present.
Responsible for the development and enhancement of taught courses across the School of Architecture. Leading on the School of Architecture’s response to changes in the professional and Higher Education context.
Widening Participation Lead 2010 – present.
Leading the School’s WP activities, working with Faculty, the University and external partners.
International College Link Tutor 2015 – present.
Liaising with USIC and Study Group on the Architecture Foundation Pathways at UG and PGT level.
Programme Level Approach Lead 2016 - present.
Ensuring that all new and re-designed modules and courses adopt a Programme Level Approach.
School Executive Committee 2014 - 2022
Member of the Executive Committee, playing a key role in strategic planning and decision making.
Head of Learning and Teaching and Director of Enhanced Learning 2014 - 2022
Leadership of Learning and Teaching across all taught programmes in the School of Architecture.
Support to Head of Department, including being Acting HoD as required.
University Senate 2014 - 2017
Elected staff member of the University Senate.
Undergraduate Course Director 2010 - 2014
Leadership of teaching team across single and dual honours Undergraduate degrees.