Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.
There are different ways to find the right PhD for you:
Find a project
Browse our PhD project directory.
Find a department or discipline
Find out who's doing the kind of research you're interested in – department web pages are a good place to start. Departments also advertise funded PhD projects.
- PhD opportunities on department websites
- Aerospace Engineering
- Animal and Plant Sciences
- Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
- Biblical Studies
- Biomedical Science
- Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Civil and Structural Engineering
- Computer Science
- East Asian Studies
- Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- French Studies
- Germanic Studies
- Health and Related Research
- Health Sciences
- Spanish and Latin American Studies
- Human Communication Sciences (Health Sciences School)
- Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
- Information School
- Journalism Studies
- Landscape Architecture
- Languages and Cultures
- Law (includes Criminology)
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medicine / Medical School
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Nursing and Midwifery (Health Sciences School)
- Oncology & Metabolism
- Ophthalmology and Orthoptics (Health Sciences School)
- Physics and Astronomy
- Religion, Theology and the Bible
- Russian and Slavonic Studies
- Sheffield Methods Institute
- Sociological Studies
- Speech and Language
- Urban Studies and Planning
Find a funded training programme
Centres for Doctoral Training
We're building a community of doctoral researchers funded through our Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), Doctoral Training Centres (DTCs), Industrial Doctoral Centres (IDCs) and Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs).
Each partnership and centre focuses on a specific area of research that addresses one of the global challenges of our time. Most are run jointly with other leading UK universities and developed in consultation with world-leading industrial and policy partners, so you benefit from a wide range of expertise and resources.
You can apply direct to a training centre or in some cases to the University.
The University’s four flagship institutes bring together our key strengths to tackle global issues, turning interdisciplinary and translational research into real-world solutions.