Improving talent development and skills
We're committed to raising skills across the region through our placement, apprenticeship and widening participation activity alongside support for local employers to access talented graduates.
- Providing students access to placement and recruitment opportunities with local employers through our Careers Service and the RISE scheme
- Developing world-class talent in partnership with industry at the AMRC Training Centre
- Ensuring routes into Higher Education for those at risk of missing out through programmes such as HeppSY+
Enhancing the urban environment
We’re working with regional partners to drive urban development across our campus and the heart of the city, alongside growth of the Sheffield City Region Innovation district.
- Supporting Sheffield City Council to transform the high street
- Developing green spaces through projects such as Grey to Green and Love Square
- Our campus masterplan
- Collaborating with the City to regenerate Sheffield Castlegate
Supporting community projects
Informed by local voices, we're working to make a positive difference to people's lives by delivering projects and initiatives which support communities and organisations across the region.
The University as a role model
Driving economic, social, environmental and cultural benefits is part of our DNA. As a civic institution, historically created ‘for the people’, the University has a responsibility to act as a trusted role model and partner within the region.
Sheffield students double volunteering hours during the pandemic
Students from the University of Sheffield have clocked up a total of 20,510 hours of volunteering in the local community this academic year, double the amount of hours typically expected
Off the Shelf literary festival returns to Sheffield for its 30th edition with celebration of city’s poetry
Off the Shelf, one of the most well known and loved literary festivals in the UK, celebrates its 30th edition in 2021.
Pop-Up University returns to bring University of Sheffield research to the public
A free festival at which some of the latest pioneering research from the worlds of healthcare, science, technology and art will be presented to the public for the first time is set to be held in Sheffield this month (18-19 September 2021).
Icon neon sign preserved as developer makes way for Sheffield's West Bar scheme
As preparation gets underway to deliver the City Centre's West Bar development, the University of Sheffield has been working alongside developers to secure the future of an original Woollen Sign that forms part of the city's industrial heritage.