Dr Luis Hernan
PhD, MSc, BArch
School of Architecture
Lecturer in Digital Architecture
+44 114 222 0376
Full contact details
School of Architecture
Luis is a researcher and designer based at Sheffield School of Architecture. Initially trained as an architect, Luis’ work explores the interface of digital, physical and living computation with everyday life, combining philosophical and design-based explorations.
His work is based on the conviction that design is a form of doing philosophy, and that philosophical thought is crucial in understanding and reframing the role of designers and architects in an ever changing material realm
- Research interests
- Internet of Things
- Digital domesticity
- Emergent Materials
- Object Oriented Ontology
- New Materialsm
- Philosophy of Design/Design Philosophy
- Research through Design
- Living Ashes : associated milieus and distributed agencies. Performance Research, 25(3), 25-31.
- Design and modelling of an engineered bacteria-based, pressure-sensitive soil. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, 13(4). View this article in WRRO
- Atmospheres of digital technology: wireless spectres and ghosts outside the machine. Digital Creativity, 27(3), 214-233. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- The Technological Invisible - Image Making as an Exercise of Power. Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Transdisciplinary Imaging Conference (pp 471-487), 18 April 2018 - 20 April 2018. View this article in WRRO
- The Biological Unseen. Producing and Mediating imaginaries of Protocells. Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Transdisciplinary Imaging Conference 2018 (pp 122-137), 18 April 2018 - 20 April 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Bio-materialism: Experiments in biological material computation. Proceedings of the 3rd Biennial Research Through Design Conference (pp 292-307), 22 March 2017 - 24 March 2017. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Thinking Soils: A Synthetic Biology approach to material based design computation. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA). Ann Arbor, 27 October 2016 - 29 October 2016.
- View this article in WRRO Bacterial Hygromorphs: material proxies as design pedagogy to engage with living technologies. Proceedings of the 36th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), 27 October 2016 - 29 October 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Of wireless and bodies: affective atmospheres in the smart city. Proceedings of the MEDIACITY 5 Conference
- View this article in WRRO Adaptive Morphologies: Toward a Morphogenesis of Material Construction. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA). Cambridge, Ontario, 24 October 2013 - 26 October 2013.
- View this article in WRRO Proto-materials: Material Practices in Architecture at Molecular and Cellular Scales. Prototyping Architecture. The Conference Papers. London, 21 February 2013 - 23 February 2013.
- View this article in WRRO Material Macroscope: Merging digital and physical research spaces through interaction with research objects. Proceedings of the Digital Research Conference, 10 September 2012 - 12 September 2012.
- Teaching activities
- ARC6854 Environment and Technology in Design
- ARC126 Architectural Design 2
- ARC102 Communications 2