Dr Tsung-Hsien Wang
BS Arch, MS Arch, PhD, FHEA
School of Architecture
Lecturer in Sustainable Digital Design
Prior to joining Sheffield School of Architecture in 2012 I was a PhD researcher and adjunct instructor in the School of Architecture at Carnegie Mellon University, USA. I also worked in both architecture and technology firms, including SOM and Gehry Technologies, and was invited to give guest lectures and workshops in the US, UK, China and Taiwan.
With a combined background in architecture and computation, I am interested in computational design research of information modelling for sustainable building design and evaluation.
In particular, I investigate algorithmic and parametric modelling workflow for iterative building performance simulation, evaluation and visualisation at both single building and urban scales.
- Research interests
My major research interests lie in investigating architectural geometry construction and information modelling from a parametric and generative perspective. Central to my research is to investigate computational approaches to solving:
- Building Information Interoperability for computer-aided sustainable design and evaluation. With sortable topological relational network this work can be applied in areas of building performance simulation, sustainability evaluation, compliance checking and information interoperation from a single building to a city scale.
- Complex Architectural Geometry Manifestation through performance-driven optimisation and digital fabrication.
Postgraduate Research Supervision Interests
- performance-driven design process
- geometry construction and optimisation
- cloud-based computing for interactive/real-time building information modelling and visualisation
- information interoperation for building performance simulation and sustainability evaluation
- Glue-laminated bamboo for dowel-type moment-resisting connections. Composite Structures. View this article in WRRO
- Strategies to achieve optimum visual quality for maximum occupant satisfaction : field study findings in office buildings. Building and Environment.
- Corrigendum to critical factors and thresholds for user satisfaction on air quality in office environments, building and environment 164 (2019) 106310. Building and Environment, 169, 106453-106453.
- Critical factors and thresholds for user satisfaction on air quality in office environments. Building and Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Integration of agent-based modelling of social-spatial processes in architectural parametric design. Architectural Science Review. View this article in WRRO
- Static Behaviour of Two-Tiered Dou-Gong System Reinforced by Super-Elastic Alloy. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering History and Heritage. View this article in WRRO
- Encoding bamboo’s nature for freeform structure design. International Journal of Architectural Computing, 15(2), 169-182. View this article in WRRO
- Restructuring surface tessellation with irregular boundary conditions. Frontiers of Architectural Research, 3(4), 337-347. View this article in WRRO
- From Design to Pre-Certification using Building Information Modeling. Journal of Green Building, 8(1), 151-176.
- Modeling water use for sustainable urban design. Communications in Computer and Information Science, 242 COMMUNICAT, 138-155.
- Parametric Modeling of Bamboo Pole Joints, Communications in Computer and Information Science (pp. 272-290). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Modeling Water Use for Sustainable Urban Design In Arisona S, Aschwanden G, Halatsch J & Wonka P (Ed.), Digital Urban Modeling and Simulation (pp. 138-155). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO The influence of Saudi Arabian culture on energy use: Improving the time-use schedules in energy simulation for houses in Riyadh. "Hello, Culture!"- CAAD Futures 2019 (pp 536-552), 26 June 2019 - 28 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Koala: Developing a generative house design system with agent-based modelling of social spatial processes. 24th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA) 2019, Vol. 1 (pp 235-244), 15 April 2019 - 18 April 2019.
- Understanding occupant behaviour in Islamic homes to close the gap in building performance simulation: A case study of houses in Riyadh. Building Simulation Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3 (pp 2107-2114)
- BIM2PHPP: A new BIM-based tool for passivhaus design with PHPP. Building Simulation Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1 (pp 100-105)
- Prototyping Adaptive Architecture - Balancing Flexibility of Folding Patterns and Adaptability of Micro-Kinetic Movements. Computing for a better tomorrow - Proceedings of the 36th eCAADe Conference - Volume 2, Vol. 2. Lodz, Poland
- Feather-inspired social media data processing for generating developable surfaces: Prototyping an affective architecture Prototyping an affective architecture. ECAADE 2017: SHARING OF COMPUTABLE KNOWLEDGE! (SHOCK!), VOL 1 (pp 181-190)
- View this article in WRRO Automatic Calculation Of A New China Glare Index. Proceedings of BSO 2016. Newcastle, UK, 12 September 2016 - 14 September 2016.
- View this article in WRRO Building massing optimisation in early design stage: A performance-driven design based on total sunlight hours evaluation. Proceedings of the 20th Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 583-592)
- View this article in WRRO Reasoning Spatial Relationships in Building Information Models using Voxels. Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (pp 465-471). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 10 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Tessellating freeform surfaces with boundary-driven analysis. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 873-882)
- View this article in WRRO Data Acquisition and Visualization for IEQ Assessment: A case study of daylight field measurement. PLEA 2013
- Integrated Indoor Environmental Quality Assessment Methods for Occupant Comfort and Productivity. International Conference on Cleantech for Smart Cities & Buildings-From Nano to Urban Scale. EPFL-Lausanne, Switzerland, 4 September 2013 - 6 September 2013.
- View this article in WRRO Data Sharing for Sustainable Assessments: Using Functional Databases for Interoperating Multiple Building Information Structures. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 193-202). Chennai, India, 25 April 2012 - 28 April 2012.
- Framework for sustainable building design. Proceedings of the 14th Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 43-52). Yulin, Taiwan
- View this article in WRRO Procedural Reconstruction of NURBS Surfaces. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 597-606). Yulin, Taiwan, 22 April 2009.
- Integrating sustainable building rating systems with building information models. Proceedings of the 13th Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 193-200)
- View this article in WRRO Fault Detection and Localization using IFC: A Case Study of BIM-based Visualisation of BAS-related Faults. CIBSE Technical Symposium 2019, 25 April 2019 - 26 April 2019.
- Research group
- Mohammed H Aljammaz, Closing Gaps in Building Performance Predictions with Culture-Specific Occupancy Behaviours, 2017-present
- Olivia Espinosa Trujillo, Tension-only Bamboo Structures, 2017-present
- Omar SA Hamed, Automating BIM for Green Building Evaluation and Certification in Jordan, 2018-present
- ARUP Global Research Challenge 2014 (PI: Dr Tsung-Hsien Wang, CI: Prof. Martin Mayfield), ARUP, £20,000, Dec 2014-Jun 2016.
- Learned Societies Fund for CAADRIA 2013, SSoA, 2013
- Learned Societies Fund for eCAADe 2014, SSoA, 2014
- Teaching activities
My current teaching activities are at Post Graduate Taught level:
- ARC6811 Parametric Architectural Geometry, Autumn.
- ARC6812 Building Information Modelling, Management and Analysis, Autumn.
- ARC6818 Elements of Computational Design I, Autumn.
I co-Lead Studio MAKE (ARC6815 with Dr Chengzhi Peng) and also contribute to the following modules: ARC6816 MSc Dissertation/Thesis Design Project; ARC6990 MSc SAS Advance Project; ARC322 Special Study; ARC556/566 MArch Dissertation
In 2013 and 2014, I coordinated ARC6840 Renewable Energy module for MSc Sustainable Architecture Studies.
- Undergraduate Admissions Coordinator
- Programme Co-Leader of MSc Digital Architecture and Design
- Member of IT and Print Committee
- Professional activities
- Reviewer, Architectural Science Review, 2014
- Reviewer, 16th International Conference on Geometry and Graphics (ICGG), 2014
- Member of SmartGeometry 2012 International Advisory Board, 2012
- ARM|Additive Robotic Materialization, AGD+Tamkang University, Taiwan, 2013
- Actuating Geometry in Design [Digital Fabrication], Taipei Tech, Taiwan, 2013
- Actuating Geometry in Design [Physical Computing], Taipei Tech, Taiwan, 2012
- [Guest Lecture] Generative Architecture Geometry, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA, 2010
- [Invited Workshop] Parametric Urban Furniture, Tamkang University, Taiwan, 2009
- [Invited Workshop] Digital Tectonics : Robotic Fabrication, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA, 2009