Studying music as a postgraduate in Sheffield means becoming part of a large international community. We offer 5 onsite and 2 distance-learning masters courses across a wide range of disciplines.
We aim to create a stimulating, intellectual and musical environment, designed to foster original and creative research among its postgraduates. We encourage day-to-day contact with peers and staff, thereby building a sense of community. This is facilitated by:
- Holding regular research seminars and postgraduate study days as a forum for intellectual enquiry and debate.
- Providing postgraduates with study, research and studio facilities.
- Providing equipment for recording, field study and transcriptions.
- Asking postgraduates to take a leading role in its concert giving.
- Potential to gain lecturing experience.
The content of our courses is reviewed annually to make sure it's up-to-date and relevant. Individual modules are occasionally updated or withdrawn. This is in response to discoveries through our world-leading research; funding changes; professional accreditation requirements; student or employer feedback; outcomes of reviews; and variations in staff or student numbers. In the event of any change the University will consult and inform students in good time and will take reasonable steps to minimise disruption. We timetable teaching across the whole of our campus, the details of which can be found on our campus map. Teaching may take place in a student’s home department, but may also be timetabled to take place within other departments or central teaching space.
Students involved with performance may be required to meet some associated costs. These are variable depending on the nature of performance, and may include (but are not limited to) accompanist fees and the purchase of music/scores.
Postgraduate taught scholarships
Explore scholarships for postgraduate taught courses starting in 2021, including:
- 100+ scholarships worth £10,000 each for home fee paying students
- 150 scholarships worth 25 per cent of the tuition fee for international students