Applying for a PhD
All the key information about applying for a postgraduate research degree at Sheffield.
To apply to study for a PhD with us, we would like you to first get in touch with a potential supervisor, with whom you will develop the proposal, before you submit a formal application.
If you are unsure of who could act as your supervisor, please make sure you have viewed 'Find a supervisor', or you can send an inquiry to the department, so we can advise you about this.
Please include your research proposal and a brief CV when contacting a potential supervisor or the department.
A formal application is made using the University’s online application form. We will not be able to make a decision on an application until we receive all of the required details, including a research proposal, reference letters and supporting documents.
- I have a relevant merit MA degree or equivalent.
- I have an IELTS grade that meets the University's English language requirements for research degrees.
- My research proposal is ready to upload.
- My proof of previous degrees, academic references, English language certificates (if required), and CV are ready to upload.
- Sample of academic level work (e.g. Dissertation, Composition or recorded Performance).
- I have in-principle agreement from a supervisor to support my PhD proposal.
Our aim is to deal with your application promptly, although most applications are considered by at least two members of staff and the process can take several weeks.
For information on Remote Location options for PhD study please see the following page.
You can contact us at any time if you want to know the progress of your application. You can email email@example.com for information.