Accommodation Guarantor Scheme
The University will act as an accommodation guarantor for rent payable under an assured shorthold tenancy.
This service is available for students who are a care leaver or estranged from their families and do not have anyone to act as a guarantor.
The scheme is also open to international students (overseas or EU) who do not have a UK guarantor.
To apply for the Accommodation Guarantor Scheme you must meet all of the criteria listed below:
- You are a registered full-time student and are applying for a guarantor for your second year* of study at the University of Sheffield.
- The property you need a guarantor for is registered with Smart Move Sheffield for the academic year you wish to live there. You can find out if a property is registered by contacting Smart Move Sheffield via their website, or by visiting them on Level 3 of the Students’ Union.
* If you are a postgraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the first year of your course. You will need to provide an adequate reference as part of your application to be eligible.
The guarantee will cover the rent for students who fall into financial difficulty and cannot pay their rent. The University will limit the amount it guarantees for 2023-2024 to:
- £170 per week for single students
- £220 per week for students with a family
Any award will be made directly to your landlord or letting agent and will be recorded on your student record. You are required to repay any funds paid on your behalf within three months of any payments being made.
1. To submit an application you will need to provide all of the following documents:
- Copies of 3 months' most recent bank statements for all of your accounts
- Your new tenancy agreement
- A reference from your current landlord or letting agent (if you currently live in University of Sheffield accommodation, you do not need to provide this)
You can either attach these to your application form or email them to us.
2. Complete the application form below:
If you require a paper application form contact the Student Fees and Funding Team.
3. You will be notified of the outcome of your application within 15 working days of submitting your complete application.
4. When we have processed your documents you will be sent the guarantee agreement.
5. Follow the instructions on the agreement.
Do not sign the contract with your new accommodation provider until you have met with Smart Move and they have checked it.
Once completed return it to the Student Fees and Funding Team.
6. The Student Fees and Funding Team will stamp and sign the completed contract and send one copy to you and the other to your future landlord or letting agent.
Contact us if you have any questions or require further guidance.
If you would like to discuss your housing or financial situation with someone, contact the Student Advice Centre in the Students’ Union.
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria of the scheme you may find the following links of interest:
Contact the Fees and Funding team for any further information or guidance.
Still got questions?
Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.
A world-class university – a unique student experience
Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.