Xiufeng Jia (Sharon)
MSc (Research) Media and Communications, London School of Economics (LSE)
MA New Media and Society, University of Leicester
Thesis title / scope of research
Datafied Agency: investigating affective responses towards personal digital self-tracking data in China
My project explores how ordinary self-trackers live with, and feel about, their self-tracking data in their everyday lives. This entails investigation of self-tracking routines, behaviours ordinary people act based on their data, diversity of affective responses surrounding personal self-tracking data, and online expressions about self-tracking experiences and the data on social media platforms and in the self-tracking apps.
Research interests / other experience
- The datafication in society and communications: datafied agency, data justice;
- Social media data mining;
- Digital self-tracking and self-care in everyday life.
Scholarships and awards
- National Academic Scholarship (2014);
- Best Undergraduate Student (2014);
- Best Undergraduate Thesis (2014);
- University Undergraduate Academic Scholarship (2011, 2012 and 2013).