Our sports scholarships are for students who compete at an elite level in their sport.
The Elite Sports Performance Scheme (ESPS) aims to help elite level athletes at the University of Sheffield maintain their sporting success alongside their course.
The support an ESPS athlete receives includes strength and conditioning (specialist coaching and access to specific facilities), discounted physiotherapy support, lifestyle mentoring (psychology and nutrition), peak S10health gym membership. Level 2 athletes could receive a £1,000 award or two first-year students could get their years accommodation for free (in lieu of the monetary award).
Level 1 tier
- International/National Representation (GB, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland or equivalent)
- Professional/Semi-Professional/High Level Academy
Level 2 tier
- Senior International (GB or equivalent)
- Top Junior International (GB or equivalent)
- TASS Athlete (Has to be GB or equivalent representation)
- Sport Specific e.g. Road Cycling – Elite Category for at least 12 months
Please note, these criteria are guidelines, representing GB as a senior international does not guarantee you a Level 2. All athletes who are awarded a place on the scheme are expected to represent The University of Sheffield wherever possible. For more detailed criteria please see www.sport-sheffield.com/performance-sport
Application and Selection Process:
When applications open, the online form can be found through the Sport Sheffield website. A selection panel consisting of senior Sport Sheffield staff, Professional Service colleagues and Students' Union representatives will consider all applications. To make a decision the panel will take into account sporting information and achievements (based against a points system), sporting goals for the future and supporting statements. The panel's decision is final. When making their decision, the panel will give regard to the following:
- Applicant is a registered student at the University of Sheffield.
- Applicant has provided a supporting statement from a coach or NGB representative.
- Applicant has clearly articulated their sporting achievements, current ranking/level and future ambitions.
- Applicant has identified clearly how the scholarship will be beneficial to her/his student experience and sporting endeavours.
- Applicant has clearly demonstrated how they will be an asset to Sport Sheffield and The University of Sheffield.
Further details regarding the application process can be found via the link below.
The ESPS has included many sporting stars over the years including:
- Bryony Paige (Trampoline Olympian)
- Hollie Pearne-Webb (Field Hockey Olympian)
- David Wetherill (Table Tennis Paralympian)
- Jazmin Sawyers (Long Jump Commonwealth Games medalist)
- Nicole Lamb (Rowing World University Games and GB Pathway)