Dr Erdem Ozturk
Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC)
Senior Technical Fellow
Full contact details
Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC)
Factory of the Future, Advanced Manufacturing Park
Wallis Way, Catcliffe
In 2003, Erdem completed an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering at Middle East Technical University, Turkey.
In 2005, he completed a MSc in Mechatronics Engineering at Sabanci University, Turkey, receiving his PhD from the same department in 2010. Erdem’s thesis focused on the modelling of mechanics and dynamics of multi-axis machining operations, namely, 5-axis ball-end milling, parallel turning and parallel milling processes.
He has been part of the AMRC for over 10 years and is currently Senior Technical Fellow leading the Digital Machining theme, along with providing teaching on machining practices. He served as a visiting faculty at the Global Production Engineering and Management MSc Programme at the Vietnamese German University in Ho Chi Minh.
Additionally, Erdem is the Managing Director and Co-founder of Productive Machines, a spin out company developing a unique digital twin based learning platform for improving machining process efficiency.
- Research interests
Erdem’s research interests include: Digital Machining; Robotics; Robotic Assisted Milling; Predictive Models; Spindle Dynamics; Workpiece Dynamics; Vibration Control; Composite Milling; Micro milling; Power Skiving
- Five-Axis Trajectory Generation Considering Synchronization and Nonlinear Interpolation Errors. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 144(8).
- Machining Digital Twin using real-time model-based simulations and lookahead function for closed loop machining control. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 117(11-12), 3615-3629. View this article in WRRO
- Can mode coupling chatter happen in milling?. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture.
- Integration and demonstration of force controlled support in pocket milling. Procedia CIRP, 101, 158-161.
- A methodology for precision manufacture of a nozzle using hybrid laser powder-bed fusion: a case study. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture.
- Chatter avoidance via structural modification of tool-holder geometry. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture. View this article in WRRO
- Frequency response prediction for robot assisted machining. MM Science Journal, 2019(04), 3099-3106. View this article in WRRO
- Chatter Suppression in Robotic Milling by Control of Configuration Dependent Dynamics. Procedia CIRP, 82, 521-526.
- Convergence Analysis of the Multi-Frequency Approach around a Variable-Helix Instability Island. Procedia CIRP, 82, 279-284.
- Evaluation of Machine Tool Digital Twin for machining operations in industrial environment. Procedia CIRP, 82, 231-236.
- Robots in machining. CIRP Annals. View this article in WRRO
- Robotic assisted milling for increased productivity. CIRP Annals, 67(1), 427-430.
- Rotational degree-of-freedom synthesis: An optimised finite difference method for non-exact data. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 412, 207-221. View this article in WRRO
- Tuning of tool dynamics for increased stability of parallel (simultaneous) turning processes. Journal of Sound and Vibration, 360, 17-30.
- Prediction of effect of helix angle on cutting force coefficients for design of new tools. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 65(1), 125-128.
- Manufacturing at double the speed. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 229, 729-757. View this article in WRRO
- Stability and high performance machining conditions in simultaneous milling. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 62(1), 403-406.
- Investigation of spindle bearing preload on dynamics and stability limit in milling. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 61(1), 343-346.
- Analytical methods for increased productivity in five-axis ball-end milling. International Journal of Mechatronics and Manufacturing Systems, 4(3-4), 238-265.
- Dynamics and stability of parallel turning operations. CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, 60(1), 383-386.
- Dynamics and Stability of Five-Axis Ball-End Milling. J MANUF SCI E-T ASME, 132(2).
- Investigation of lead and tilt angle effects in 5-axis ball-end milling processes. INT J MACH TOOL MANU, 49(14), 1053-1062.
- Modeling and simulation of 5-axis milling processes. CIRP ANN-MANUF TECHN, 58(1), 347-350.
- Modeling of 5-axis milling processes. MACH SCI TECHNOL, 11(3), 287-311.
- Validation of variable helix milling instability islands. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 095440542110204-095440542110204.
- Accurate prediction of machining feedrate and cycle times considering interpolator dynamics. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.
- Work holding assessment of an UV adhesive and fixture design method. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Chip geometry and cutting forces in gear power skiving. CIRP Annals, 68(1), 109-112.
- Modelling of Machining Processes, Twin-Control (pp. 57-93). Springer International Publishing
- Visualization of Simulated and Measured Process Data, Twin-Control (pp. 225-233). Springer International Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- On-The-Fly CNC interpolation using frequency-domain FFT-based filtering. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 107 (pp 1571-1576). Lugano, Switzerland, 29 June 2022 - 1 July 2022.
- Vision-assisted robotic finishing of friction stir-welded corner joints. Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 40 (pp 70-76). Garbsen, Germany, 27 November 2019 - 28 November 2019. View this article in WRRO
- INVESTIGATION OF AN ACTIVELY CONTROLLED ROBOT ARM FOR VIBRATION SUPPRESSION IN MILLING. XI International Conference on Structural Dynamics, 23 November 2020 - 26 November 2020.
- Form error prediction in robotic assisted milling. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 82 (pp 491-496). Sheffield, UK, 13 June 2019 - 14 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Cartesian Stiffness Optimization for Serial Arm Robots. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 77 (pp 566-569)
- Stability of variable helix milling: model validation using scaled experiments. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 77 (pp 449-452)
- Identification of the CIRP expertise network based on public data. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 72 (pp 165-168)
- View this article in WRRO Structural modification of tool holder geometry as a chatter avoidance method. Proceedings of ISMA 2018 - International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering and USD 2018 - International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics (pp 3331-3341)
- Advance modeling of machine tool machining process. Proceedings of the 8th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on MULTIBODY DYNAMICS 2017, MBD 2017, Vol. 2017-January (pp 453-462)
- Discrete Cutting Force Model for 5-Axis Milling with Arbitrary Engagement and Feed Direction. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 58 (pp 445-450) View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of Process Damping in Milling. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 55 (pp 152-157)
- Parallel Machining Dynamics with Multiple Time Delays. IFAC-PapersOnLine, Vol. 48(12) (pp 346-351)
- Modeling Static and Dynamic Cutting Forces and Vibrations for Inserted Ceramic Milling Tools. Procedia CIRP: 14th CIRP Conference on Modelling of Machining Operations
- Analysis of Non-Linear Machine Tool Dynamic Behaviour. Proceedings of the 5th Manufacturing Engineering Society International Conference
- Modelling and Development of a High Performance Milling Process with Monolithic Cutting Tools. 14TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MATERIAL FORMING ESAFORM, 2011 PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 1353 (pp 663-668)
- Tool Orientation Effects on the Geometry of 5-axis Ball-end Milling (pp 243-246)
- A STUDY ON THE EFFECTS OF SPINDLE SPEED ON TOOL TIP DYNAMICS. The 15 th International Conference on Machine Design and Production
- Research group
Erdem has been involved in a number of research projects, spanning various technology readiness levels, during his time at the AMRC. Most recent projects include:
- EPSRC, Prediction of Dimensional Errors in Robotic Milling, (PI), April 2021 - December 2021, £80,000.
- H2020, Cognitively Enhanced Robot for Flexible Manufacturing of Metal and Composite Parts (COROMA), (PI), October 2016 - September 2019, €553,750 (Total budget for 16 partners €7.2 million). http://www.coroma-project.eu/
- H2020, Twin-Model Based Virtual Manufacturing For Machine Tool Process Simulation and Control (Twin Contro), (PI), October 2015- September 2018, €530,000, (Total budget of 11 partners €5.6 million). http://twincontrol.eu/
- Innovate UK, Innovative Machining Strategies and Broaching Optimisation of Aero-Engine Disc Components, KTP project with Seco Tools UK, (PI), July 2017 - April 2020, £199,000.
- Innovate UK, Modular Machine Tool and Process Simulator for Precision Machining, (Co-I), August 2015 - July 2017, £150,000 (Total budget for 7 partners £1.2 million).