BA (Hons), Dip Arch, MA, ARB
School of Architecture
I have combined architectural practice with teaching for many years and am particularly interested in creating synergies between architectural pedagogy and practice. Sustainable, low carbon design is central to my architectural agenda with a specific focus on performance led design.
As Technology Leader I have an overseeing role over the teaching of technology across the school and of our technical facilities and equipment. As TEL (Technology Enhanced Learning) leader I seek to innovate and implement new technologies to enhance pedagogy.
- Research interests
- Climate Based Daylight Modelling (CBDM) and its emerging role in architectural education and practice. CBDM integration into BIM workflow.
- BIM, environmental simulation and visualisation in relation to architectural education and practice.
- Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) in architectural education.
- Teaching activities
My main teaching activities are at MArch and Post Graduate Taught level and centre around architectural technology and sustainable design.
I coordinate the teaching of technology at MArch level (RIBA part II) and have pioneered a new approach to the integration of technology into studio design projects through the ongoing Complex Material Assembly programme.
In the PGT school I am co-director for the MSc in Sustainable Architecture Studies and I teach environmental simulation and building physics for sustainable design.
I have taught in the design studios at the Sheffield School of Architecture for sixteen years.
- Professional activities
- Technology and Technology Enhanced Learning Leader
- Co-Director MSc Sustainable Architecture Studies
- Qualified Architect. 16 years professional practice experience.
- Member BIM Academic Forum
Key completed architectural and urban projects
- Dixons Allerton Academy. Project architect for £30 million academy. Designed to BREEAM Excellent and to 15kgCO2/m2/annum.
- ESBD school. Project architect for an £8 million special educational learning needs school. BREEAM very good.
- Hull BSF. Project architect for a £25 million academy employing passive and active environmental systems to achieve a BREEAM excellent rating.
- Barnsley Civic Hall. Project architect for £17 million retrofit and extension of grade 2 listed public building to include performance venue, exhibition space, managed workspace, retail, bar and landscaped gardens.
- Vestry Hall. £3 million retrofit of derelict grade 2 listed building to provide multi-purpose hall, office and teaching space.
- St Lukes Hospice. Major remodelling and extensions to existing facility with complex sequencing to maintain occupation throughout work. £16 million budget, feasibility study.
- Breathing Space – Rotherham. Client advisor on the design and procurement of a specialist £11 million COPD facility. This commission followed from a University of Sheffield live project.
- RIBA Yorkshire Project of the Year winner and Design and Innovation award.
- Classroom of the Future, Ballifield School. Part of the national initiative. Two new classrooms with glue-laminated structure and sustainable materials used throughout.
- SOAR Framework, North Sheffield. Consultation and master planning for a large area of North Sheffield as part of major regeneration initiative.
- Evelina Children’s Hospital. Innovative central London £40 million new hospital. Hopkins Architects.
- Prime Minister’s Best Building award.
- Stirling Prize Nominated.
- UMNO Tower, Malaysia. Innovative passively ventilated office tower. T R Hamzah + Yeang
- 1998 RAIA International Award
- Zephyr International Ideas Competition for Passively Cooled Buildings: Commendation for excellence in technology
- British Steel Caravel Competition: National Finalist
- Menara UMNO: RAIA (Royal Australian Institute of Architects) 1998 International Award
- Menara UMNO: SIA (Singapore Institute of Architects) Award, Honourable Mention
- Evelina Children’s Hospital: Stirling Prize nominated
- Evelina Children’s Hospital: Shortlisted for the Prime Minister’s Better Public Building Award 2006.
- Evelina Children’s Hospital: British Construction Industry (BCI) Judges Special Award 2006
- RIBA national competition for a new festival centre in Sheffield: Seventh place