Dr Chengzhi Peng
BArch, DipLA, MSc, PhD
School of Architecture
Senior Lecturer in Architectural Science
Research Ethics Lead
MSc Digital Architecture and Design Co-Director
+44 114 222 0318
Full contact details
School of Architecture
Though much to be developed, better understood and applied responsibly, advanced data-driven computational modelling is considered by many a viable approach to addressing the challenges of sustainable, liveable and informational (smart) built environment. I lead the Bioclimatic Design Futures (BDF) research team, working computational modelling of climate-energy performance and livability (thermal comfort and air quality) of building stocks in their urban contexts over the time-frame of climate projections. The aim is to achieve improved model accuracy, transparency, agility and power of feedback on planing and design decision-making.
I provided the leadership and launched the MSc Digital Architecture and Design (DAAD) programme in 2014. Working with the DAAD teaching team over the past years, a distinctive pedagogy of digital architecture and design has emerged. DAAD students are presented with the unique opportunity of creative fusion of parametric geometry with preformative micro-kinetics in the making of prototype digital architecture. Since 2017, working intensively with the students, we have been presenting and publishing original papers at the eCAADe and CAADRIA international conferences continuously.
- PhD Architectural Computing, University of Edinburgh, 1989 – 1994
- MSc Computer-Aided Building Design, University of Strathclyde, 1988-1989
- Diploma in Landscape Studies, University of Edinburgh, 1987-1988
- Bachelor of Architecture, Tunghai University, Taiwan, 1979-1984
- Research interests
Data-driven predictive modelling for optimising planning and design of sustainable and liveable building stocks over the time frame of climate change projections
Modelling peak cooling demand and heat stress vulnerability of a city’s dwelling stock in future climate; Towards The Formulation of an Omani Green Building Code Based on the Sustainable Principles of Vernacular Settlements; Urban morphology parameters for predicting impacts of urban neighbourhood and building design on urban microclimate; Projection of pathways towards better indoor air quality of a university's building stock.
Postgraduate Supervision Areas:
Climate-Energy Building Stock Modelling; Outdoor-Indoor Air Quality and Thermal Co-Simulation; Urban and Building Data Modelling using Machine Learning; Urban and Building Morphological Characterisation
- Evaluation of housing stock indoor air quality models : a review of data requirements and model performance. Journal of Building Engineering.
- An archetype-in-neighbourhood framework for modelling cooling energy demand of a city's housing stock. Energy and Buildings, 196, 30-45. View this article in WRRO
- Integration of agent-based modelling of social-spatial processes in architectural parametric design. Architectural Science Review. View this article in WRRO
- Influences of visual preferences expressed by participants on early stage of learning space design: an interactive parametric modelling study. Architectural Science Review, 61(6), 454-466. View this article in WRRO
- Correlating cooling energy use with urban microclimate data for projecting future peak cooling energy demands: Residential neighbourhoods in Seoul. Sustainable Cities and Society, 35, 645-659. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO The Port of Sheffield: Co-creation in Mobile Application Development for Place-Based Interaction with Large-Scale Urban Heritage Sites. Historic Environment, 28(2), 56-68.
- An outdoor-indoor coupled simulation framework for Climate Change–conscious Urban Neighborhood Design. Simulation: transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International, 90(8), 874-891. View this article in WRRO
- Microclimate change outdoor and indoor coupled simulation for passive building adaptation design. Procedia Computer Science, 32, 691-698. View this article in WRRO
- Climate change simulation for intelligent green building adaptation design. 2014 International Conference on Intelligent Green Building and Smart Grid (IGBSG). View this article in WRRO
- Elements of a Visual Language for Social Engagement with Climate Change Conscious Urban Neighbourhood Design. The International Journal of Environmental Sustainability, 9(1), 51-66.
- Learning from a new learning landscape: Visualisation of location sensing data in the Augustine House Experiment. British Journal of Educational Technology, 44(5), 795-809. View this article in WRRO
- Mapping Interstitial Urban Spaces through Performing the City. Leonardo: Art Science and Technology, 46(5), 491-492.
- Environmental profiling as an approach for quantifying the environmental sustainability of residential buildings in Nigeria. ICSDEC 2012: Developing the Frontier of Sustainable Design, Engineering, and Construction - Proceedings of the 2012 International Conference on Sustainable Design and Construction, 431-440.
- Bridging Outdoor and Indoor Environmental Simulation for Assessing and Aiding Sustainable Urban Neighbourhood Design. Archnet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research, 6(3), 72-90.
- Applying ISO-Space to Healthcare Facility Design Evaluation Reports. Seventh Workshop on Interoperable Semantic Annotation (ISA), Eighth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 13-20.
- UCampus: Can an open source 3D interactive virtual campus modelling platform support institutional learning and innovation?. International Journal of Architectural Computing, 9(3), 303-324.
- Interactive installations on the threshold of built heritage. International Journal of Design Sciences and Technology, 13(1), 29-50.
- In-situ 3D concept design with a virtual city. Design Studies, 27(4), 439-455.
- Tracking decision-making during architectural design. Electronic Journal of Information Technology in Construction, 10.
- e-service as a new paradigm for interactive multidimensional city modeling. Proceedings - 2004 IEEE International Conference on e-Technology, e-Commerce and e-Service, EEE 2004, 169-172.
- Reconstructing urban contexts online for interactive urban designs. Design Studies, 25(2), 175-192.
- Exploring urban history and space online: Design of the virtual Sheffield application. Design Studies, 23(5), 437-453.
- On an alternative framework for building virtual cities: Supporting urban contextual modelling on demand. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 29(1), 87-103.
- Flexible generic frameworks and multidisciplinary synthesis of built form. Design Studies, 20(6), 537-551.
- Exploring communication in collaborative design: co-operative architectural modelling. Design Studies, 15(1), 19-44.
- Survey of collaborative drawing support tools.. Comput. Support. Cooperative Work., 1, 197-228.
- Designing Innovative Learning Spaces in Higher Education at a Turning Point: Institutional Identities, Pervasive Smart Technologies and Organizational Learning In Baskerville R, De Marco M & Spagnoletti P (Ed.), Designing Organizational Systems: An Interdisciplinary Discourse (pp. 217-244). Berlin Heidelberg: Springer.
- Capturing Histories of Design Processes for Collaborative Building Design Development, Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures 2001 (pp. 427-437). Springer Netherlands
- Dynamic Retrieval in an Urban Contextual Databank System using Java-CGI Communications, Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures 2001 (pp. 89-102). Springer Netherlands
Conference proceedings papers
- Parametric modelling and simulation of an indoor temperature responsive rotational shading system design. RE: Anthropocene, Design in the Age of Humans - Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, CAADRIA 2020, Vol. 1 (pp 579-588)
- View this article in WRRO The influence of Saudi Arabian culture on energy use: Improving the time-use schedules in energy simulation for houses in Riyadh. "Hello, Culture!"- CAAD Futures 2019 (pp 536-552), 26 June 2019 - 28 June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Koala: Developing a generative house design system with agent-based modelling of social spatial processes. 24th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA) 2019, Vol. 1 (pp 235-244), 15 April 2019 - 18 April 2019.
- Understanding occupant behaviour in Islamic homes to close the gap in building performance simulation: A case study of houses in Riyadh. Building Simulation Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3 (pp 2107-2114)
- View this article in WRRO Evaluating Overheating Risk and Mitigation Strategies in Low Energy Houses in the UK: Two Sheffield Case Studies. CIBSE/ASHRAE 2017 CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, 12 April 2017 - 13 April 2017.
- Feather-inspired social media data processing for generating developable surfaces: Prototyping an affective architecture Prototyping an affective architecture. ECAADE 2017: SHARING OF COMPUTABLE KNOWLEDGE! (SHOCK!), VOL 1 (pp 181-190)
- The Role of a City's Collective Memory in Supporting Cooperative Urban Design Learning.. CDVE, Vol. 7467 (pp 143-150)
- Townscaping: Development of dynamic virtual city augmented 3D sketch design tools. Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures 2005, Proceedings (pp 105-114)
- Dynamic retrieval in an urban contextual Databank system using Java-CGI communications - Development of the SUCoD prototype. COMPUTER AIDED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN FUTURES 2001, PROCEEDINGS (pp 89-102)
- Capturing histories of design processes for collaborative building design development - Field trial of the ADS prototype. COMPUTER AIDED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN FUTURES 2001, PROCEEDINGS (pp 427-437)
- View this article in WRRO Fault Detection and Localization using IFC: A Case Study of BIM-based Visualisation of BAS-related Faults. CIBSE Technical Symposium 2019, 25 April 2019 - 26 April 2019.
- View this article in WRRO KOALA: Developing a Generative House Design System with Agent-Based Modelling of Social and Spatial Processes. Proceedings of the 24th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA 2019), 15 April 2019 - 18 April 2019.
- View this article in WRRO An empirical approach to modelling climate change impact on building energy use. CIBSE Technical Symposium 2018 - 'Stretching the envelope', 12 April 2018 - 13 April 2018.
- Microclimate Change Outdoor and Indoor Coupled Simulation for Passive Building Adaptation Design. the Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Information Technology. Hasselt, 2 June 2014 - 5 June 2014.
- Climate Change Simulation for Intelligent Green Building Adaptation Design. the Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Green Building and Smart Grid. Taipei, 23 April 2014 - 25 April 2014.
- Environmental Simulation for Designing with Climate Change: Framework, Experiments and Reflection. Architecture and Resilience on a Human Scale International Conference. Sheffield, 10 September 2015 - 12 September 2015.
- Correlating Urban Microclimate Modelling with Energy Use Data Analysis to Inform Site-Specific Climate Change Adaptation Design. Architecture and Resilience on a Human Scale International Conference. Sheffield, 10 September 2015 - 12 September 2015.
- A Web-based Interactive Virtual Environment for Collecting End Users Expressed Visual Preferences of Learning Spaces. Architectural Design Conference. Istanbul, 25 June 2015 - 27 June 2015.
- Designing Sustainable Urban Neighbourhoods with Climate Change. The Faculty of Social Sciences Research Conference 2014. Sheffield, 19 September 2014 - 19 September 2014.
- How Hot Can the University Campus Get in 2050? Environmental Simulation of Climate Change Scenarios at an Urban Neighborhood Scale. Symposium on Simulation for Architecture and Urban Design (SimAUD 2013), Vol. 45(8) (pp 28-35). San Diego, California, USA, 7 April 2013 - 10 April 2013.
- Enhancing a Virtual City with Collective Memory: A Pilot Study of Jalan Malioboro in Yogyakarta. The 28th Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe Conference - Future
- Towards a unifying visualization modelling platform for supporting climate change conscious urban neighbourhood design. World Renewable Energy Congress 2011
- Developing a Web-Based 3D Visualisation Modelling Platform to Support Innovative Planning and Design of Learning Spaces: A Case Study of the University of Sheffield Campus. The 10th International Conference on Design and Decision Support Systems in Architecture and Urban P
- Visualising Future Learning Spaces in Context: the Sheffield Experiment. Proceedings of EDULEARN09 (pp 3977-4007). Barcelona, 6 July 2009 - 8 July 2009.
Software / Code
- http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/institutionalinnovation/wecamp.aspx uCampus: A Web-based 3D interactive visualisation modelling platform to effect participative and collaborative planning and design of future learning spaces. JISC Retrieved from
- Research group
Thermal Stress Vulnerability and Resilience: Housing Stock Transformation fit for an Ageing Society in Future Climate, with Dr Choo Yoon Yi, ESRC Postdoctoral Fellowships, starting 01/10/2020, 12 months.
Future Climate and Change in Livability of a City’s Housing Environment. ESRC White Rose Social Sciences DTP Collaborative Award, in collaboration with John Clephan (Sheffield Housing Company), Prof Edward Ferrari (Centre for Regional Economic and Social Research, Sheffield Hallam University, 01/10/2018 - 30/09/2022.
Characterising Uncertainty in Complex Environmental Simulations for Public Engagement with Climate Change Conscious Sustainable Planning and Design. Grantham Foundation, Grantham Centre for Sustainable Futures Grantham Scholars Programme 2016. In collaboration with Prof Richard Wilkinson (School of Mathematics and Statistics), 01/10/2016 – 30/09/2020.
Transcultural Understanding of Designing with Climate Change: A Joint Design Research Studio Approach. In collaboration with Ranald Lawrence (University of Sheffield), Kevin Fellingham (University of cape Town), Edward Ng (Chinese University of Hong Kong), Yang Liu & Liming Kong (Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology), Kun Li (Wuhan University). Worldwide Universities Network (WUN) Research and Development Scheme 2014, 01/01 2015 – 30/06/2016.
- Teaching interests
- Urban microclimate modelling
- Building information modelling
- Computational design; digital design studio
- Dissertation/thesis projects
- Teaching activities
- ARC 322 Special Study
- ARC556 MArch Dissertation
- ARC6808 Advanced Simulation for Modelling Adaptive Architecture
- ARC6809 MSc DAAD Thesis Project
- ARC6814 Critical Applications of BIM
- ARC6815 DAAD StudioMAKE
- ARC6819 Elements of Computational Design 2
- ARC6990 SAS Dissertation Project
- ARC6731 Doctoral Training in Architecture
- Professional activities
- Member of Editorial Board, ArchNet-IJAR, International Journal of Architectural Research, Emerald Publishing
- Appointed Peer Reviewer, Qatar National Research Fund, Qatar Foundation
- Member of Scientific Committee - eCAADe, CAADRIA, CAAD Futures
- PhD External Examiners at University of Edinburgh, University of Nottingham, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Huddersfield
- Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Architecture, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taiwan