School of Architecture
Senior University Teacher
As Head of Learning and Teaching I am responsible for the development and enhancement of taught courses across the School of Architecture.
After graduating from Sheffield University in 1992, I spent a number of years in practice, combining this with part-time studio teaching.
In 2008 I became a full-time University Teacher. Having initially operated as Year One Leader and then Undergraduate Course Director, in 2015 I became a Studio Leader in MArch.
In 2011 I received a Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, awarded in recognition of inspirational learning and teaching.
- Research interests
Although I am on a teaching only contract, my teaching has been greatly informed by research undertaken both within the School of Architecture and externally. I understand the importance of research in establishing and disseminating good teaching practice, and as a consequence I have endeavoured to engage with research opportunities where they have a direct relationship to my teaching.
- 2017 ‘Breaking the Mould’
- Third Annual Design Quality in Higher Education Forum Conference, Sheffield.
- Invited to present the work of MArch students in Studio: Collaborative Production.
- 2017 Engaging Students in a Research Intensive Environment’
- Eleventh Annual University Learning and Teaching Conference, Sheffield.
- Paper presentation: ‘Collaborative production – working with marginalised communities’.
- 2016 ‘Research-Based Education’
- 3rd Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators, Bartlett UCL.
- Member of steering group, and peer review of conference papers.
- 2015 ‘Future Learning’
- Teaching Excellence in Social Sciences Conference, Sheffield.
- Paper presentation: ‘Assessing Liveness’.
- 2014 ‘Living and Learning’
- 2nd Conference of the Association of Architectural Educators, Sheffield.
- Successful bid to host, and peer review of conference papers.
- 2014 Sino UK Symposium, Sheffield School of Architecture
- Paper presentation: ‘Strategies for Integration’.
- 2012 ‘Healthy Design, Creative Safety’ (HSE publications)
- Leo Care, Daniel Jary, Rosie Parnell
- 2011 ‘Healthy Design, Creative Safety’ Symposium, Sheffield.
- Organiser, Chair and paper presentation outlining findings of RIBA/HSE research project.
- 2008 Kings Cross Charrette Design Proposals
- Architects Journal Special Issue (04.09.08)
- Sauce Architecture
- 2003 Contributor to ‘Building Clouds, Drifting Walls’
- Morrow, Ruth et al. (Bank of Ideas Publications)
- 2017 ‘Breaking the Mould’
- 2014-17 External Examiner for BA Architecture degree course at Birmingham School of Architecture, Birmingham City University.
- 2011 Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching. Awarded for inspirational learning and teaching.
- 2010-11 RIBA/HSE Research Fund in Health and Safety in Architectural Education - £10,000. Exploring best practice in the integration of health and safety learning into architectural education.
- 2010 Architecture for Everyone Shanghai Scholarship. Preparation of competition brief and member of selection panel.
- 2009 RIBA Yorkshire Design Awards. Member of short-listing panel
- 2009 CILASS Award for Excellence in Inquiry Based Learning (joint award with Leo Care and Howard Evans). Awarded for the development and delivery of the ‘Matter-Reality’ studio design project
- Teaching activities
MArch Studio Lead – Studio: Collaborative Production
The studio explores a future where a sharing economy becomes mainstream, promoting non-market production and social enterprise. Students are encouraged to develop an architecture which supports the collaborative production of objects, processes and infrastructure; an architecture which utilises local resources and expertise and is responsive to local needs.
MArch Live Project Mentor
2015 – Pitsmoor Adventure Playground, Sheffield
2016 – Goldthorpe Railway Cuttings, South Yorkshire
ARC571 Reflections on Architectural Education
The module explores the context of architectural education as well as observing current thinking on techniques for learning and teaching in the design studio. Students design and implement a piece of Action Research, actively exploring and shaping teaching practice in the School of Architecture.
MArch Dissertation Supervisor
Dissertation supervisor for critical written study on a range of topics chosen by the student.
Undergraduate Special Studies Supervisor
Supervisor for critical written study on a range of topics chosen by the student.
MAAD Thesis Tutor
The module allows students to develop their own design project based on their development of an individual design approach.
Alongside my regular teaching I attend project reviews across Undergraduate, MArch and Postgraduate Masters.
- Professional activities and memberships
- Vice Chair of the Association of Architectural Educators
- Member of the steering group which established the AAE as a new national body to share best practice and promote innovative teaching techniques within architectural education.
- Administrative roles
Head of Learning and Teaching (Enhancement)
Leadership of Learning and Teaching across all taught courses in the School of Architecture. This encompasses single and dual honours Undergraduate degrees, single and dual MArch degrees, and Postgraduate Masters degrees.
Member of Senior Management Team
Strategic planning and decision making.
Lead on Undergraduate and MArch Curriculum Review
- Stage One completed March 2016, with recommendations successfully implemented 2016-17.
- Stage Two due for completion September 2017.
Member of Undergraduate Admissions team
Strategic overview of recruitment across all courses.
Departmental Champion for Achieve More
Promoting interdisciplinary research led teaching across all undergraduate years.
Departmental Link Tutor for Sheffield International College
Worked with Study Group to develop new pathways to Architecture at both UG and PGT level introduced in 2016.
Departmental Lead for Outreach and Widening Participation
- Professions Progression Partnerships
- Discover Social Sciences
- Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
- Architecture for Everyone
- Equivalent Qualifications Project
Member of Learning and Teaching Committee
University Staff and Disability Network
Committee Member and part of steering group which set up the Network in 2015.