BA(Hons), DipArch(Dist), RIBA
School of Architecture
Senior University Teacher
I am an Architect and Educator. Currently Director of Collaborative Practice and a Senior University Teacher at the Sheffield School of Architecture, I am developing initiatives that encourage new relationships between architectural practice, academia and industry.
I am currently lead on ‘Collaborative Practice’ a new MArch programme which is an innovative earn as your learn Part 2 Masters. My MArch studio teaching focuses on Ageing and Intergenerational Architecture.
Previously in the School I was Director of Y3 (2000-2010), Director of MArch (2011-2013), Director of Undergraduate Studies (2009-2011) and Lead on Y2/Y3 Construction (1998-2010).
I helped to deliver 3 successful RIBA visiting boards and many of my students have gone on to influential roles in leading UK and International practices. My work in the school was recognised by a University Senate Award (2011) for Sustained Excellence.
I trained at the School and graduated with a First Class Honours (1991) and a Distinction at Part 2 (1994). My student work was exhibited at the RIBA Presidents Medals and at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition.
I began my practice career with Urban Splash (1994) where I worked on award winning projects including Concert Square in Liverpool, Sally’s Yard, Smithfield Buildings and Trafford Park in Manchester.
I then moved to Proctor Matthews to focus on social housing projects such as the regeneration of the Stonebridge Estate, North West London. I then co-founded Sauce Architecture (1998-2013).
I currently support leading architectural practices as an advisor and collaborator. Recent highlights include competition entries for the New Irish Embassy, Tokyo and the New School of Architecture in Aarhus, Denmark with William Matthews Associates.
I have written for Guardian Higher Online, Architects Journal and Chinese Journal of Architecture and Urbanism. Monocle Radio 24, Times of India, The Statesman India and RIBA Publishing have interviewed me about my work and activities.
I have guest lectured, reviewed and external examined at a number of leading institutions including Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI), Bergen SOA Norway and Royal College of Art London. I am also an onscreen Designer with ‘The Degineers’ on CBBC, an RIBA Role Model and Trustee of S1 Artspace.
All my work promotes inclusion and diversity, ultimately aiming to make architecture accessible for all.
- Research interests
- New Models for Architectural Education
- Ageing and Architecture
- Intergenerational Architecture
- Mediation of the Profession
- Urban Renewal and Regeneration
- Social Housing
- Architectural Representation and Communication
- Sheffield University: Senate Awards for Teaching and Learning Sustained Excellence Category
- Sumo Store: Independent on Saturday Top Ten Skateboard Outlets
- Mile End Road: Housing Design Award Building for Life Award
- Collegiate: RIBA Regional Award Housing Design Project Award
- Hutchings Wharf: Housing Design Award
- Smithfield Buildings National Homebuilder Awards: Commendation
- RIBA Design Award / Housing Design Award/ Manchester Society Architects: Design Award
- Manchester Civic Society: Design Award Renaissance/ Manchester Civic Society: Design Award Victorian City
- Concert Square: Civic Trust Award
- Concert Square: BURA Best Practice Award Merseyside Tourism Award
- The Junction Cambridge: New Bar design Collaboration with James Reed Shortlisted
- Smithfield Buildings: RIBA Housing Design Award UK Property Marketing /Design Award: Finalist Public Relations Award for Best product Launch
- Sally’s Yard: RIBA Design Award (Shortlisted)
- Concert Square: RIBA Design Award Merseyside Civic Society Award for Conservation
- RIBA President’s Medals in Architecture Exhibited Entry: Bronze Medal
- The Pinder Research Award for Excellence in Degree year design
- Teaching activities
My teaching expertise focuses on design studio and explores the relationship between architectural production (social, spatial and material) and the role of the architect in urban areas of decline and subsequent re-invention.
My current MArch studio focuses on Intergenerational Architecture located in Hull and Sheffield.
My aim is to develop projects that encourage students to be canny, flexible, responsive and socially enterprising whilst still producing work of architectural merit.
Previous student successes include Neil Michels, Civic School project which was celebrated in the Design Council Ones to Watch, GAGA Architectural Review Awards and RIBA Yorkshire Student Awards. Sarah Habershon recently won the Duke of Gloucester, Construction Youth Trust Award for Design and Architecture.
In my role as Director of Collaborative Practice I have been exploring links between academia, practice and industry. I have developed and recently launched the new MArch Collaborative Practice model. This model blends academic learning with practice experience whilst offering students the opportunity to reduce time to full qualification.
I have instigated and mentored a number of Live Projects included ‘Guang Futures’ where students developed scenarios for the ancient town of Guang Fu in China. The project was a collaboration with Hawkins/Brown and Corporate Affairs here at the University.
I am Undergraduate lead on Management Practice and Law, module leader and lecturer for ARC 328, and support at MArch level. I also contribute to UG workshops and lectures in Communication and contribute to ARC 303 Humanities lecturing on the history of Social Housing.
I also supervise MArch Dissertations, Undergraduate Special Studies and MA in Architectural Design Thesis projects.
- Professional activities
- Member Senior Management Team
- Director MArch: Collaborative Practice
- Lead MArch Admissions
- UG Careers Liaison Officer
- Member of Learning and Teaching Committee
- Member External Relations Committee
- Lead on School Catalogue 2010 + 2011
- Lead on School Catalogue Sponsorship 2010- present
Professional Standing and Distinctions
CBBC The Dengineers
Onscreen designer for 3 dens with Tony Broomhead 0S31 Architects
- Architects Journal Awards: Judging panel for national awards: Infrastructure Projects
- S1 Artspace Love Amongst the Ruins: Chair public debate. With Lynsey Hanley and Elaine Harwood
- Urban Splash Park Hill Sheffield: Host Panel Discussion ‘It will never work’ With Tom Bloxham, Jonathan Falkingham and Mark Latham
- Sheffield Modern Weekend: Guest Speaker Social Housing
- CBBC The Dengineers: Onscreen designer for 3 dens with Tony Broomhead 0S31 Architects
- BBC Look North: Interview with Tom Ingall discussing Arts Tower and Paternoster lift
- BBC Radio Sheffield: Live Interview with Rony Robinson discussing Inclusion and architecture
- S1 Artspace New £21m Arts Building: Judging panel
- ROCA London ‘Brand or Bust’ event: guest panellist
- Monocle Magazine: Radio interview ‘Concrete Conclusions, Section D
- Sheffield Festival of the Mind ‘Hole in the Road’ Architectural Expert
- CBBC The Dengineers Designer with Tony Broomhead 0S31
- RIBA Smart Practice Future Forward: Panellist
- Trustee S1 Artspace Sheffield
- Brutal Utopias Events National Trust Architectural Expert
- Guardian Higher Education Network: Guest online debate
- Hong Kong Design Institute/Lincoln University: Appointed external examiner
- RIBA Role Model
- RIBA for Clients Chair RIBA Yorkshire Client discussion
- RIBA Guerrilla Tactics: Shortlisted for Creative Director Role
- UWE Bristol Appointed External Examiner BA Architecture
- Birmingham City University Appointed Professional Practice Part 3 examiner
- Sheffield Design Week Joint curator for Architecture programme with RIBA Yorkshire
- Sheffield Live TV and Radio Interview exploring housing design and the Farrell Review
- Value the Social: A voice for future practice Joint Curator for half day symposium at New London Architecture with Hawkins/Brown
- RIBA Education Committee
- RIBA National Council member of initial governance group led by Stephen Hodder
- Lincoln School of Architecture Appointed External Examiner BA Architecture
- RIBA National Council – Appointed representing RIBA Yorkshire
- Judge for RIBA Presidents Medals Part 1 Bronze Category
- Research in Commercial Practice Co curator with Sarah Wigglesworth, one day symposium Sheffield University
- BBC Radio Sheffield: Invited Architectural Expert
- Toby Foster Breakfast Show: Four interviews to date
- Park Hill Housing, Ugly Buildings, Architectural Taste and Supermarkets.
- RIBA Stirling Prize Awards Afterparty Creative Lead on Event organisation with Urban Splash and RIBA Yorkshire
- RIBA Northern Awards Judging Panel Shortlisting Jury member of Yorkshire, Northwest and North East Region
- RIBA Regional Awards Judging Panel Shortlisting Jury member of Yorkshire Region
- Domestic Bliss Housing Conference, Leeds Co curator with RIBA Yorkshire
- Sponsorship Director Sheffield School of Architecture Catalogue
- present Advocacy with Practice and Industry – £20K income to date.
- RIBA Visiting Board Panel
- Present Approved Academic for Validation of UK Architectural Courses
- Oxford Brookes University External Examiner :OBE (Office Based Exam Part 1 + Part 2)
- Integrate Yorkshire . Appointed as Design Review Panel Yorkshire and Humberside Region Initiative
- Yorkshire Forward. Appointed as Renaissance Advocate One of 40 national people to represent and promote the work of the Agency.
- Sheffield Specials Public Debates Joint Curator with Emma England Yorkshire RIBA Simon Gedye Sheffield Civic Trust. High profile public debates to discuss contemporary issues relating to Architecture and the Built Environment.
- Castleford: Cultural Facility for City Centre With Channel 4 Curator for Public Exhibition of Student work in the town “Young Visions: Reflective Futures” Screened as part of Kevin McCloud and the Big Town Plan Summer 2008.
- Channel 4 + Talkback Productions London. Shortlisted as Architectural Advisor and Co Presenter for new Architecture and Interiors Programme.
- Leeds Metropolitan University External Examiner: BA Interior Design
- Rotherham MBC: Invited member of assessment panel for new masterplan