Professor Darren Robinson
Chair in Architectural and Urban Sciences
T: 0114 222 0312
My main passion is for research that makes a difference. Much of my research is conducted at the interface between social physics (people), building physics (buildings) and urban physics (city): people – buildings – city. This research is conducted at multiple scales: from the performance of individual buildings in their urban context and the how this performance is influenced by occupants; to the performance of entire complex urban systems and how there spatial and functional structures can be improved upon to maximise metabolic efficiency. Increasingly, I am interested in understanding how the implications on resource use of individuals, firms and institutions can be influenced and how this understanding can be embedded into predictive models.
In my spare time I am a keen triathlete, competing at standard, middle and long distances.
I teach the 'Principles of building physics for sustainable design' module as part of the MSc in Sustainable Architecture Studies. I also supervises MSc and MArch dissertation projects.
My main research interests are in:
I would be interested in supervising PhD students in any of the topics listed above.
|Grants, Awards and Consultancy||
PI of a £1.75M Leverhulme Research Programme Grant based at the University of Nottingham on “Sustaining urban habitats”.
CI on a £0.54M EPSRC grant on Model Predictive Control (will colleagues Dr Abigail Hathaway [CI] and Dr Peter Rockett [PI] – both in Sheffield’s Faculty of Engineering). My contribution to this grant focuses stochastic modelling of occupants’ behaviours.
|Professional Standing and Distinctions||
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of recent publications please click here.
- Sousa G, Jones BM, Mirzaei PA & Robinson D (2018) An open-source simulation platform to support the formulation of housing stock decarbonisation strategies. Energy and Buildings, 172, 459-477. View this article in WRRO
- Kruusimägi M, Sharples S & Robinson D (2018) A novel spatiotemporal home heating controller design: System emulation and field testing. Building and Environment, 135, 10-30. View this article in WRRO
- Kruusimagi M, Sharples S & Robinson D (2018) Corrigendum to “Living with an autonomous spatiotemporal home heating system: Exploration of the user experiences (UX) through a longitudinal technology intervention-based mixed-methods approach” [Appl. Ergon. 65 (2017) 286–308] (S0003687017301503) (10.1016/j.apergo.2017.06.017)). Applied Ergonomics, 69, 47.
- Beck A, Long G, Boyd DS, Rosser JF, Morley J, Duffield R, Sanderson M & Robinson D (2018) Automated classification metrics for energy modelling of residential buildings in the UK with open algorithms. Environment and planning. B, Planning & design. View this article in WRRO
- Chapman J, Siebers PO & Robinson D (2018) On the multi-agent stochastic simulation of occupants in buildings. Journal of Building Performance Simulation. View this article in WRRO
- Kruusimagi M, Sharples S & Robinson D (2017) Living with an autonomous spatiotemporal home heating system: Exploration of the user experiences (UX) through a longitudinal technology intervention-based mixed-methods approach. Applied Ergonomics, 65, 286-308. View this article in WRRO
- Souza G, Jones B, Mirzaei P & Robinson D (2017) A review and critique of UK housing stock energy models, modelling approaches and data sources. Energy and Buildings, 151, 66-80. View this article in WRRO
- Robinson D, Sancho-Tomás A & Sumner M (2017) A generalised model of electrical energy demand from small household appliances. Energy and Buildings, 135, 350-366. View this article in WRRO
- Jones B, Das P, Chalabi Z, Davies M, Hamilton I, Lowe R, Mavrogianni A, Robinson D & Taylor J (2015) Assessing uncertainty in housing stock infiltration rates and associated heat loss: English and UK case studies. Building and Environment, 92, 644-656. View this article in WRRO
- Wilke U, Haldi F, Scartezzini J-L & Robinson D (2013) A bottom-up stochastic model to predict building occupants' time-dependent activities. Building and Environment, 60, 254-264.
- Robinson D & Haldi F (2012) Modelling Occupants' Presence and Behaviour – Part II. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 5(1), 1-3.
- Schweiker M, Haldi F, Shukuya M & Robinson D (2012) Verification of stochastic models of window opening behaviour for residential buildings. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 5(1), 55-74.
- Haldi F & Robinson D (2011) The impact of occupants' behaviour on building energy demand. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 4(4), 323-338.
- Robinson D & Haldi F (2011) Modelling Occupants' Presence and Behaviour – Part I. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 4(4), 301-302.
- Haldi F & Robinson D (2010) On the unification of thermal perception and adaptive actions. Building and Environment, 45(11), 2440-2457.
- Kämpf JH, Wetter M & Robinson D (2010) A comparison of global optimization algorithms with standard benchmark functions and real-world applications using EnergyPlus. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 3(2), 103-120.
- Haldi F & Robinson D (2010) Adaptive actions on shading devices in response to local visual stimuli. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 3(2), 135-153.
- Kämpf JH & Robinson D (2010) Optimisation of building form for solar energy utilisation using constrained evolutionary algorithms. Energy and Buildings, 42(6), 807-814.
- Kämpf JH, Montavon M, Bunyesc J, Bolliger R & Robinson D (2010) Optimisation of buildings’ solar irradiation availability. Solar Energy, 84(4), 596-603.
- Haldi F & Robinson D (2009) Interactions with window openings by office occupants. Building and Environment, 44(12), 2378-2395.
- Haldi F & Robinson D (2008) On the behaviour and adaptation of office occupants. Building and Environment, 43(12), 2163-2177.
- Robinson D & Haldi F (2008) Model to predict overheating risk based on an electrical capacitor analogy. Energy and Buildings, 40(7), 1240-1245.
- Page J, Robinson D, Morel N & Scartezzini J-L (2008) A generalised stochastic model for the simulation of occupant presence. Energy and Buildings, 40(2), 83-98.
- Robinson D & Haldi F (2008) An integrated adaptive model for overheating risk prediction. Journal of Building Performance Simulation, 1(1), 43-55.
- Robinson D, Campbell N, Gaiser W, Kabel K, Le-Mouel A, Morel N, Page J, Stankovic S & Stone A (2007) SUNtool – A new modelling paradigm for simulating and optimising urban sustainability. Solar Energy, 81(9), 1196-1211.
- Kämpf JH & Robinson D (2007) A simplified thermal model to support analysis of urban resource flows. Energy and Buildings, 39(4), 445-453.
- Robinson D (2006) Urban morphology and indicators of radiation availability. Solar Energy, 80(12), 1643-1648.
- Robinson D & Stone A (2006) Internal illumination prediction based on a simplified radiosity algorithm. Solar Energy, 80(3), 260-267.
- Robinson D & Stone A (2005) A simplified radiosity algorithm for general urban radiation exchange. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 26(4), 271-284.
- Robinson D & Stone A (2004) Solar radiation modelling in the urban context. Solar Energy, 77(3), 295-309.