Professor Karim Hadjri
Head of School
Dip.Arch, MPhil, PhD
T: 0114 222 0307
I am an architect, and hold a Master of Philosophy (1989) and a Doctor of Philosophy (1992) in housing studies completed at the Joint Centre for Urban Design at Oxford Brookes University, Oxford, UK. I worked as a scholar in the United Kingdom (Queen’s University Belfast), UAE and Saudi Arabia, and managed academic units and research centres in both Cyprus and Colombia. I have been teaching architecture at undergraduate and postgraduate levels since 1993.
ARC103/ARC153 Humanities 1
Head of School
My research explores the influence of the built environment on various user groups, including people with physical, sensory and cognitive impairments. My current research interests are concerned with the challenges of designing age-friendly environments, as well as enabling environments particularly for people with dementia.
Amy Jingjing Wang
PhD supervision interests
|Grants, Awards and Consultancy||
'Optimising care delivery models to support ageing-in-place: towards autonomy, affordability and financial sustainability – ODESSA’. Euro-China UPC. ESRC Grant ES/L016095/1. Funded by ESRC, ANR, DFG, NOW & NSFC. In collaboration with Tsinghua University, Beijing China, Université Paris-Dauphine and Institut de Géographie, Université Sorbonne, Paris, France. 36 months (1 March 2015-28 Feb. 2018). €1m. Project coordinator.
‘OIKOnet: A global multidisciplinary network on housing research and learning’. Funded under EU Lifelong Learning Programme, European Commission. 36 Months (Oct. 2013 - Sept. 2016). €700k. Work package leader (housing research).
|Professional Standing and Distinctions||
Panel member. Social Sciences Review Panel. Newton Fund. British Council.
Member of the Peer Review College. Economic and Social Science Research Council (ESRC). October 2015-September 2019.
Reviewer for ESRC; EPSRC; Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst / German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD); Portuguese Research Council, Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT).
Reviewer for several refereed journals (HERD; Cities; Cultural Geographies; Facilities; Engineering Sustainability; Urban Design International; IJAR).
Reviewer for Academic Promotion (University of Liverpool; Bilkent University, Ankara; Kumasi, Ghana).
Member of the Advisory Board. Mario: Managing Active and healthy aging with use of caRing servIce robots. EU funded project. NUI Galway, Ireland.
Conference Chair and member of the Scientific Committee. OIKONET third Conference, ‘Global Dwelling: Sustainability, Design and Participation’, University of Central Lancashire, 23 September 2016.
External Examiner. Department of Architecture and Built Environment, University of Northumbria, Architecture BA (Hons), 2016 -.
Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy.
Member of the Royal Institute of British Architects - RIBA Validation Board (Accreditation).
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of recent publications please click here.
- Rooney C, Hadjri K, Mcallister K, Rooney M, Faith V & Craig C (2018) Experiencing visual impairment in a lifetime home: an interpretative phenomenological inquiry. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Durosaiye IO, Hadjri K, Liyanage CL & Bennett K (2017) A matrix for the qualitative evaluation of nursing tasks. Journal of Nursing Management. View this article in WRRO
- Rooney C, Hadjri K, Faith V, Rooney M, McAllister K & Craig C (2017) Living Independently. HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Rooney C, Hadjri K, Rooney M, Faith V, McAllister K & Craig C (2016) Meeting the Needs of Visually Impaired People Living in Lifetime Homes. Journal of Housing for the Elderly, 30(2), 123-140. View this article in WRRO
- Faith V, Hadjri K, Rooney C, Craig C & McAllister K (2015) Finding a way: long-term care homes to support dementia. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Urban Design and Planning, 168(4), 204-217. View this article in WRRO
- Hadjri K, Rooney C & Faith V (2015) Housing Choices and Care Home Design for People With Dementia. HERD: Health Environments Research & Design Journal, 8(3), 80-95. View this article in WRRO
- Rooney C, Hadjri K & Craig C (2013) Assessing Lifetime Homes Standards and Part M Building Regulations for Housing Design in the UK. The Design Journal, 16(1), 29-50.
- Hadjri K, Faith V & McManus M (2012) Designing dementia nursing and residential care homes. Journal of Integrated Care, 20(5), 322-340.
- Hadjri K & Crozier C (2009) Post‐occupancy evaluation: purpose, benefits and barriers. Facilities, 27(1/2), 21-33.