Dr Tsung-Hsien Wang
Lecturer in Sustainable Digital Design
BS Arch, MS Arch, PhD (Computational Design), FHEA
T: +44 (0)114 222 0377
Prior to joining Sheffield School of Architecture in 2012 I was a PhD researcher and adjunct instructor in the School of Architecture at Carnegie Mellon University, USA. I also worked in both architecture and technology firms, including SOM and Gehry Technologies, and was invited to give guest lectures and workshops in the US, UK, China and Taiwan.
With a combined background in architecture and computation, I am interested in computational design research of information modelling for sustainable building design and evaluation. In particular, I investigate algorithmic and parametric modelling workflow for iterative building performance simulation, evaluation and visualisation at both single building and urban scales.
My current teaching activities are at Post Graduate Taught level:
I co-Lead Studio MAKE (ARC6815 with Dr Chengzhi Peng) and also contribute to the following modules: ARC6816 MSc Dissertation/Thesis Design Project; ARC6990 MSc SAS Advance Project; ARC322 Special Study; ARC556/566 MArch Dissertation
In 2013 and 2014, I coordinated ARC6840 Renewable Energy module for MSc Sustainable Architecture Studies.
Undergraduate Admissions Coordinator
My major research interests lie in investigating architectural geometry construction and information modelling from a parametric and generative perspective. Central to my research is to investigate computational approaches to solving:
Postgraduate Research Supervision Interests
Performance-driven design process, geometry construction and optimisation, cloud-based computing for interactive/real-time building information modelling and visualisation, information interoperation for building performance simulation and sustainability evaluation.
Research Students and Assistants
Mohammed H Aljammaz, Closing Gaps in Building Performance Predictions with Culture-Specific Occupancy Behaviours, 2017-present
|Grants, Awards and Consultancy||
ARUP Global Research Challenge 2014 (PI: Dr Tsung-Hsien Wang, CI: Prof. Martin Mayfield), ARUP, £20,000, Dec 2014-Jun 2016.
Learned Societies Fund for CAADRIA 2013, SSoA, 2013
|Professional Standing and Distinctions||
Reviewer, Architectural Science Review, 2014
Reviewer, 16th International Conference on Geometry and Graphics (ICGG), 2014
Member of SmartGeometry 2012 International Advisory Board, 2012
ARM|Additive Robotic Materialization, AGD+Tamkang University, Taiwan, 2013
Actuating Geometry in Design [Digital Fabrication], Taipei Tech, Taiwan, 2013
Actuating Geometry in Design [Physical Computing], Taipei Tech, Taiwan, 2012
[Guest Lecture] Generative Architecture Geometry, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA, 2010
[Invited Workshop] Parametric Urban Furniture, Tamkang University, Taiwan, 2009
[Invited Workshop] Digital Tectonics : Robotic Fabrication, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA, 2009
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of recent publications please click here.
- Park J, Loftness V, Aziz A & Wang T-H (2019) Critical factors and thresholds for user satisfaction on air quality in office environments. Building and Environment. View this article in WRRO
- Nguyen BVD, Wang T-H & Peng C (2019) Integration of agent-based modelling of social-spatial processes in architectural parametric design. Architectural Science Review. View this article in WRRO
- Xie W, Wang T-H & Chang W-S (2019) Static Behaviour of Two-Tiered Dou-Gong System Reinforced by Super-Elastic Alloy. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering History and Heritage. View this article in WRRO
- Wang T, Trujillo O, Chang W & Deng B (2017) Encoding bamboo’s nature for freeform structure design. International Journal of Architectural Computing, 15(2), 169-182. View this article in WRRO
- Biswas T, Wang T & Krishnamurti R (2013) From Design to Pre-Certification using Building Information Modeling. Journal of Green Building, 8(1), 151-176.
- Espinosa Trujillo O & Wang T-H (2015) Parametric Modeling of Bamboo Pole Joints, Communications in Computer and Information Science (pp. 272-290). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- Nguyen BVD, Peng C & Wang TH (2019) Koala: Developing a generative house design system with agent-based modelling of social spatial processes. 24th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA) 2019, Vol. 1 (pp 235-244), 15 April 2019 - 18 April 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Huang Y & Wang T (2016) Automatic Calculation Of A New China Glare Index. Proceedings of BSO 2016. Newcastle, UK, 12 September 2016 - 14 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Si F & Wang T (2015) Building massing optimisation in early design stage: A performance-driven design based on total sunlight hours evaluation. Proceedings of the 20th Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 583-592) View this article in WRRO
- Wang T (2014) Reasoning Spatial Relationships in Building Information Models using Voxels. Proceedings of the 32nd International Conference on Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (pp 465-471). Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 10 September 2014 - 12 September 2014. View this article in WRRO
- Wang T (2013) Tessellating freeform surfaces with boundary-driven analysis. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (pp 873-882)
- Park J, Wang T, Witt A & Loftness V (2013) Data Acquisition and Visualization for IEQ Assessment: A case study of daylight field measurement. PLEA 2013 View this article in WRRO
- Wang T, Park J & Witt A (2013) Integrated Indoor Environmental Quality Assessment Methods for Occupant Comfort and Productivity. International Conference on Cleantech for Smart Cities & Buildings-From Nano to Urban Scale. EPFL-Lausanne, Switzerland, 4 September 2013 - 6 September 2013.