Dr James McGregor
MChem (Hons), PhD, CEng, MIChemE, MRSC, FHEA
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Director of Student Recruitment
+44 114 222 4918
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I graduated from The University of Edinburgh in 2002 with an MChem (Hons) in Chemistry and completed a PhD in heterogeneous catalysis at the University of Cambridge, Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, in 2006 under the supervision of Prof. Lynn Gladden. Thereafter, I worked as a Research Associate in the Magnetic Resonance and Catalysis group at Cambridge.
In 2009 I completed a stay as a guest scientist at the Fritz-Haber Institute, Berlin, working in the group of Prof. Robert Schlögl. In 2010 I was appointed as a University Lecturer at the University of Cambridge, moving to Sheffield as a Lecturer in 2012. I was promoted to my present position of Senior Lecturer in 2017.
My research is concerned with sustainable catalytic science and engineering, in particular the application of waste or low-value co-products as feedstocks for the production of value-added chemicals and fuels. Current areas of research span CO2 utilisation, biomass conversion, energy materials and petrochemical processing.
I am a chartered engineer, Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (MIChemE) and member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (MRSC).
- Research interests
The most current information on research activities in the McGregor group can be found on our Sustainable Catalytic Engineering website.
Key areas of current focus include:
- The conversion of waste and a low-value co-products
- Biomass conversion
- Carbon dioxide utilisation
- Energy materials
- Petrochemical processing via heterogeneous catalysis
- The role of carbon and coke deposition in catalysis
- Novel catalyst characterisation tools
I am also an active member of the UK Catalysis Hub.
- Influence of biochar composition and source material on catalytic performance : the carboxylation of glycerol with CO2 as a case study. Catalysts, 10(9).
- Tailoring product characteristics in the carbonisation of brewers’ spent grain through solvent selection. Food and Bioproducts Processing, 120, 41-47. View this article in WRRO
- H2‐free synthesis of aromatic, cyclic and linear oxygenates from CO2. ChemSusChem. View this article in WRRO
- Blue urea : fertilizer with reduced environmental impact. Frontiers in Energy Research, 7. View this article in WRRO
- The role of impurities in the La2O3 catalysed carboxylation of crude glycerol. Catalysis Letters. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation of ZSM-5 Catalysts for Dimethylether Conversion Using Inelastic Neutron Scattering. Applied Catalysis A: General. View this article in WRRO
- Influence of physicochemical characteristics of carbon supports on Pd ethanol oxidation catalysts. Energy Procedia, 151, 79-83. View this article in WRRO
- An assessment of hydrocarbon species in the methanol-to-hydrocarbon reaction over a ZSM-5 catalyst.. Faraday Discuss. View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of Mesoscopic Structured 2-Propanol/Water Mixtures Using Pressure Perturbation Calorimetry and Molecular Dynamic Simulation. Journal of Solution Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- Heterogeneous reaction of ClONO2 with TiO2 and SiO2 aerosol particles: implications for stratospheric particle injection for climate engineering. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 16, 15397-15412. View this article in WRRO
- Structural changes in FeOx/γ-Al2O3 catalysts during ethylbenzene dehydrogenation. Catalysis, Structure & Reactivity, 2(1), 25-32. View this article in WRRO
- The role of the Boudouard and water-gas shift reactions in the methanation of CO or CO2 over Ni/γ-Al2O3 catalyst. Chemical Engineering Science, 152, 754-766. View this article in WRRO
- Kinetic studies of the methanation of CO over a Ni/γ-Al2O3 catalyst using a batch reactor. Chemical Engineering Science, 146, 316-336. View this article in WRRO
- Application of Inelastic Neutron Scattering to the Methanol-to-Gasoline Reaction Over a ZSM-5 Catalyst. Catalysis Letters, 146(7), 1242-1248. View this article in WRRO
- Kinetic studies of CO2 methanation over a Ni/γ-Al2O3 catalyst using a batch reactor. Chemical Engineering Science, 141, 28-45. View this article in WRRO
- Structure and dynamics of aqueous 2-propanol: a THz-TDS, NMR and neutron diffraction study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(45), 30481-30491. View this article in WRRO
- Things go better with coke: the beneficial role of carbonaceous deposits in heterogeneous catalysis. Catalysis Science and Technology, 6(2), 363-378. View this article in WRRO
- A kinetic analysis methodology to elucidate the roles of metal, support and solvent for the hydrogenation of 4-phenyl-2-butanone over Pt/TiO2. Journal of Catalysis, 330, 362-373. View this article in WRRO
- The enhancement of the catalytic performance of CrOx/Al2O3 catalysts for ethylbenzene dehydrogenation through tailored coke deposition. Catalysis Science and Technology, 6(4), 1120-1133. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of solvent on the hydrogenation of 4-phenyl-2-butanone over Pt based catalysts. Journal of Catalysis, 330, 344-353. View this article in WRRO
- A new perspective on catalytic dehydrogenation of ethylbenzene: the influence of side-reactions on catalytic performance. Catalysis Science and Technology, 5, 3782-3797. View this article in WRRO
- Heterogeneous Interaction of SiO2 with N2O5: Aerosol Flow Tube and Single Particle Optical Levitation–Raman Spectroscopy Studies. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 118(38), 8817-8827.
- Mesoscopic Structuring and Dynamics of Alcohol/Water Solutions Probed by Terahertz Time-Domain Spectroscopy and Pulsed Field Gradient Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 118(34), 10156-10166.
- Heterogeneous reaction of N2O5 with airborne TiO2 particles and its implication for stratospheric particle injection. ACP, 14(12), 6035-6048.
- A new combined nuclear magnetic resonance and Raman spectroscopic probe applied to in situ investigations of catalysts and catalytic processes. Review of Scientific Instruments, 85(6).
- Optical trapping and Raman spectroscopy of solid particles. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 16(23), 11426-11434.
- Heterogeneous reaction of N2O5 with airborne TiO2 particles and its implication for stratospheric particle injection. ACPD, 14(4), 4421-4456.
- Operando magnetic resonance: Monitoring the evolution of conversion and product distribution during the heterogeneous catalytic ethene oligomerisation reaction. Chemical Communications, 49(89), 10519-10521.
- Towards tailored porous polymers using solvent effects in catalytic degradation. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 298(12), 1344-1349.
- ChemInform Abstract: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. ChemInform, 43(50), no-no.
- Solvent effects in the hydrogenation of 2-butanone. Journal of Catalysis, 289, 30-41.
- Framework materials for acid-catalysed hydrocarbon conversion: Understanding coke deposition and enhancing catalyst lifetime. King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Research Institute - Annual Catalysts in Petroleum Refining and Petrochemicals Symposium Papers, 83.
- The nature and role of carbonaceous overlayers in ethylbenzene dehydrogenation over alumina supported catalysts. King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Research Institute - Annual Catalysts in Petroleum Refining and Petrochemicals Symposium Papers, 95.
- The influence of carbon laydown on selectivity in the hydrogenation of pentenenitriles over supported-nickel catalysts. Applied Catalysis A: General, 384(1-2), 192-200.
- Tuning the acid/base properties of nanocarbons by functionalization via amination. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 132(28), 9616-9630.
- Structure and Dynamics of 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium Acetate via Molecular Dynamics and Neutron Diffraction. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114(23), 7760-7768.
- ChemInform Abstract: Solid-State NMR of Oxidation Catalysts. ChemInform, 41(13).
- Active coke: Carbonaceous materials as catalysts for alkane dehydrogenation. Journal of Catalysis, 269(2), 329-339.
- The use of terahertz spectroscopy as a sensitive probe in discriminating the electronic properties of structurally similar multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Advanced Materials, 21(38-39), 3953-3957.
- Understanding the dielectric properties of heat-treated carbon nanofibers at terahertz frequencies: A new perspective on the catalytic activity of structured carbonaceous materials. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113(24), 10554-10559.
- The role of surface vanadia species in butane dehydrogenation over VO
x/Al 2O 3. Catalysis Today, 142(3-4), 143-151.
- Comparing strengths of surface interactions for reactants and solvents in porous catalysts using Two-dimensional NMR relaxation correlations. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113(16), 6610-6615.
- The role of carbon deposits in the hydrogenation of C
5hydrocarbons. Applied Catalysis A: General, 345(1), 51-57.
- NMR Studies of coke laydown on supported V/Al2O3 catalysts. Magnetic Resonance Imaging, 25(4), 562-563.
- FTIR analysis of gaseous compounds in the mainstream smoke of regular and light cigarettes. Food and Chemical Toxicology, 45(2), 266-271.
- Alkyne hydrogenation over Pd catalysts: A new paradigm. Journal of Catalysis, 242(1), 26-37.
- Determining adsorbate configuration on alumina surfaces with 13C nuclear magnetic resonance relaxation time analysis. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17(32), 20830-20839. View this article in WRRO
- Corrigendum to "Heterogeneous reaction of N<sub>2</sub>O<sub>5</sub> with airborne TiO<sub>2</sub> particles and its implication for stratospheric particle injection" published in Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 6035–6048, 2014. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 14(16), 8233-8234.
- General discussion. Faraday Discussions, 168, 571-571.
- General discussion. Faraday Discussions, 168, 423-423.
- Improving Product Yield in the Direct Carboxylation of Glycerol with CO2 through the Tailored Selection of Dehydrating Agents. Catalysts, 11(1).
- The role of Zn in the sustainable one-pot synthesis of dimethyl carbonate from carbon dioxide, methanol and propylene oxide. Chemical Engineering Science.
- Chapter 5 Catalytic carbon materials from biomass, Emerging Carbon Materials for Catalysis (pp. 161-195).
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Characterization of Solid Materials and Heterogeneous Catalysts: From Structure to Surface Reactivity, Volume 1&2 (pp. 289-342).
- Solid-State NMR of Oxidation Catalysts, Metal Oxide Catalysis (pp. 195-242).
- Alkane Dehydrogenation over Vanadium and Chromium Oxides, Metal Oxide Catalysis (pp. 595-612).
- Industrial Catalysis: A Practical Approach, Jens Hagen 3rd Edition Wiley-VCH, 2015; Hardcover £120, €144. 544 pages. ISBN: 978-3-527-33165-9. Applied Organometallic Chemistry, 31(12), e3841-e3841.
Conference proceedings papers
- Characterization of carbon deposits during heterogeneous catalysis using terahertz time-domain spectroscopy. IRMMW-THz 2010 - 35th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Conference Guide
- Hydrogen bonding networks in solvent mixture and their impact on the mobility of molecules as probed by THz-TDS and NMR spectroscopy. IRMMW-THz 2010 - 35th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Conference Guide
- Untangling the electronic properties in highly similar multi-walled carbon nanotubes by terahertz spectroscopy. 34th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, IRMMW-THz 2009
- Understanding the catalytic activity of heat treated carbon nanofibres: Investigation of their dielectric properties at THz frequencies. 33rd International Conference on Infrared and Millimeter Waves and the 16th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, 2008, IRMMW-THz 2008