Professor Jim Litster
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Interim Vice-President and Head of Engineering
+44 114 222 7634
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
I joined the Department in January 2016. Prior to my appointment, I was Professor of Chemical Engineering and Professor of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy at Purdue University in the USA for over eight years. I also spent 20 years in academic positions at The University of Queensland in Australia including Head of Chemical Engineering and Head of School of Engineering.
My research area is Particulate Products and Processes. My expertise is on wet granulation with over 30 years of experience in the field. My key contributions include the development of key regime maps for granulation processes and the development of mathematical models for engineering design and scaling of granulation processes. I'm the co-author of the well-known monograph in this area - The Science and Engineering of Granulation Processes and my approaches are now widely used in engineering practice in industry.
I was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering in 2010, and was awarded the Thomas Barron Award in Fluid-Particle Systems from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers in 2012, and Pharmaceutical Section Award for contributions to Quality by Design by the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
I'm passionate about university education and educators. One of my most significant achievements is leading the design and implementation of a new Project Centered Curriculum across the whole Chemical Engineering Program at UQ between 1998 and 2005. This transformation was recognized as a world leading effort and received many awards, including the Australian Award for University Teaching in 2005, and one of six engineering change programs highlighted in the Royal Academy Of Engineering/MIT report on Achieving excellence in engineering: the ingredients of successful change (2012).
- Research interests
Predicting the structure of complex particulate products and their performance in use is a grand challenge in engineering science. The products include pharmaceuticals (e.g. GSK, Astra Zeneca), consumer products (e.g. P&G, Unilever), agricultural chemicals (e.g. Syngenta) and foods (e.g. Nestle). The value of sales and export of these high value products for the UK is estimated at £180bn per year (Chemistry Innovation KTN Strategy Report 2010) and complex products are a designated priority area in the Innovate UK High Value Manufacturing strategy. The performance of these products is controlled by their size, structure and surface properties, as well as their chemistry. Therefore, modeling the development of these attributes must address structure at many length scales from nm to mm. Jim’s programme focuses on developing new design models to substantially improve the manufacture of these particulate products.
- Design and Processing of Particulate Products. Cambridge University Press.
- The Science and Engineering of Granulation Processes. Springer Netherlands.
- Exploring the role of crystal habit in the Ostwald rule of stages. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 478(2258). View this article in WRRO
- Relationship between powder properties and uniformity of ribbon property using feeding guider designs with thermography (PAT) in roller compaction. Powder Technology, 398, 117134-117134.
- Model-driven design using population balance modelling for high-shear wet granulation. Powder Technology, 396, 578-595.
- Τhe role of surface energy in the apparent solubility of two different calcite crystal habits. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 477(2252). View this article in WRRO
- Tableting Model Assessment of Porosity and Tensile Strength using A Continuous Wet Granulation Route. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 120934-120934.
- Drying in a continuous wet granulation line: Investigation of different end of drying control methods. Powder Technology, 392, 157-166.
- Model Driven Design for Twin Screw Granulation using Mechanistic-based Population Balance Model. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 120939-120939.
- Measurement of Nucleation Kinetics for Ibuprofen Crystals from Ethanol and Water-Ethanol Mixtures. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 102587.
- Fluidized bed: Online monitoring of particle temperature using a thermal camera. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 161, 95-102.
- Particle technology education in the 21st century – Outcomes from the IFPRI sponsored workshop in Sheffield, April 2017. Powder Technology, 366, 144-149. View this article in WRRO
- Roller compaction: Infrared thermography as a PAT for monitoring powder flow from feeding to compaction zone. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 578. View this article in WRRO
- A breakage kernel for use in population balance modelling of twin screw granulation. Powder Technology, 363, 525-540.
- Application of feeding guiders to improve the powder distribution in the two scales of roller compactors. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 573. View this article in WRRO
- Flowsheet simulation of solids processes: Current status and future trends. Advanced Powder Technology. View this article in WRRO
- A new mathematical model for nucleation of spherical agglomerates by the immersion mechanism. Chemical Engineering Science: X, 4. View this article in WRRO
- High shear granulation: an investigation into the granule consolidation mechanism. Powder Technology, 355, 514-525. View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of intra-granular and extra-granular fracture in the development of tablet tensile strength. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 107(10), 2581-2591. View this article in WRRO
- Characteristics of Multi-Component Formulation Granules Formed using Distributive Mixing Elements in Twin Screw Granulation. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, 1-33. View this article in WRRO
- Kinetics of immersion nucleation driven by surface tension. Powder Technology, 335, 62-69. View this article in WRRO
- Improving feeding powder distribution to the compaction zone in the roller compaction.. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, 128, 57-68. View this article in WRRO
- Particle design via spherical agglomeration: A critical review of controlling parameters, rate processes and modelling. Powder Technology, 326, 327-343. View this article in WRRO
- Tailored granule properties using 3D printed screw geometries in twin screw granulation. Powder Technology. View this article in WRRO
- Compositional effect of complex biorelevant media on the crystallization kinetics of an active pharmaceutical ingredient. CrystEngComm, 19(32), 4797-4806. View this article in WRRO
- Granule breakage in twin screw granulation: Effect of material properties and screw element geometry. Powder Technology, 315, 290-299. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of Bile Salts on Solution Crystal Growth Rate and Residual Supersaturation of an Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient. Crystal Growth & Design, 17(6), 3528-3537. View this article in WRRO
- Maintaining Supersaturation of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Solutions with Biologically Relevant Bile Salts. Crystal Growth & Design, 17(5), 2782-2791. View this article in WRRO
- Impact of Endogenous Bile Salts on the Thermodynamics of Supersaturated Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient Solutions. Crystal Growth & Design, 17(3), 1264-1275. View this article in WRRO
- From Raw Data to Process: The Path to a Batch or a Continuous Crystallizer Design for Ibuprofen. Organic Process Research & Development, 21(2), 187-194. View this article in WRRO
- Microstructure of single-droplet granules formed from ultra-fine powders. Powder Technology, 305, 19-26. View this article in WRRO
- Statistical analysis and comparison of a continuous high shear granulator with a twin screw granulator: Effect of process parameters on critical granule attributes and granulation mechanisms. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 513(1-2), 357-375.
- Numerical and experimental analysis of influence of granule microstructure on its compression breakage. Powder Technology, 299, 87-97. View this article in WRRO
- Scaling of continuous twin screw wet granulation. AIChE Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Effects of the granule composition on the compaction behavior of deformable dry granules. Powder Technology, 291, 487-498. View this article in WRRO
- Compaction mechanics of plastically deformable dry granules. Powder Technology, 291, 328-336. View this article in WRRO
- The Metastability and Nucleation Thresholds of Ibuprofen in Ethanol and Water-Ethanol Mixtures. International Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2015, 1-7.
- Investigation of an 11 mm diameter twin screw granulator: Screw element performance and in-line monitoring via image analysis. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 496(1), 24-32. View this article in WRRO
- Nucleation Studies of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients in an Air-Segmented Microfluidic Drop-Based Crystallizer. Crystal Growth & Design, 15(8), 3645-3651.
- Distributive mixing elements: Towards improved granule attributes from a twin screw granulation process. Chemical Engineering Science, 125, 165-175.
- Pharmaceutical particles. Chemical Engineering Science, 125, 1-3.
- Novel use of monodisperse granules to deconvolute impacts of granule size versus granule solid fraction on tablet tensile strength. Advanced Powder Technology, 26(2), 553-562.
- Assessment of Recent Process Analytical Technology (PAT) Trends: A Multiauthor Review. Organic Process Research & Development, 19(1), 3-62.
- Multi-dimensional population balance model development and validation for a twin screw granulation process. Powder Technology, 270, 612-621.
- Coalescence model for induction growth behavior in high shear granulation. Powder Technology, 270, 435-444.
- Measuring granule phase volume distributions using X-ray microtomography. Powder Technology, 264, 550-560.
- Effect of Solvent Composition and Temperature on the Solubility of Ibuprofen in Aqueous Ethanol. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 59(9), 2699-2703.
- Effect of relative humidity on onset of capillary forces for rough surfaces. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 411, 265-272.
- Granulation rate processes in the kneading elements of a twin screw granulator. AIChE Journal, 59(11), 4100-4115.
- Osmotic second virial cross-coefficient measurements for binary combination of lysozyme, ovalbumin, and α-amylase in salt solutions. Biotechnology Progress, 29(5), 1203-1211.
- Population Balance Model Validation and Predictionof CQAs for Continuous Milling Processes: toward QbDin Pharmaceutical Drug Product Manufacturing. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 8(3), 147-162.
- In-line Size Monitoring of a Twin Screw Granulation Process Using High-Speed Imaging. Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 8(2), 90-98.
- Experimental validation of a 2-D population balance model for spray coating processes. Chemical Engineering Science, 95, 360-365.
- Multi-scale modeling of a spray coating process in a paddle mixer/coater: the effect of particle size distribution on particle segregation and coating uniformity. Chemical Engineering Science, 95, 203-210.
- Foreword. Powder Technology, 240, 1-1.
- Influence of particle size on the direct compression of ibuprofen and its binary mixtures. Powder Technology, 240, 66-73.
- Quality by design for wet granulation in pharmaceutical processing: Assessing models for a priori design and scaling. Powder Technology, 240, 7-18.
- Twin screw wet granulation: Influence of formulation parameters on granule properties and growth behavior. Powder Technology, 238, 108-115.
- Modeling the granule formation mechanism from single drop impact on a powder bed. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 393, 369-376.
- Validation of 3-D finite element analysis for predicting the density distribution of roll compacted pharmaceutical powder. Powder Technology, 237, 386-399.
- A regime map for granule formation by drop impact on powder beds. AIChE Journal, 59(1), 96-107.
- 3D population balance model for continuous twin screw granulator. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 32, 2077-2082.
- Evaluation of Three Approaches for Real-Time Monitoring of Roller Compaction with Near-Infrared Spectroscopy. AAPS PharmSciTech, 13(3), 1005-1012.
- Flowability of binary mixtures of commercial and reprocessed ibuprofen through high shear wet milling (HSWM) with lactose. Advanced Powder Technology, 23(4), 454-458.
- Modeling the powder roll compaction process: Comparison of 2-D finite element method and the rolling theory for granular solids (Johanson's model). Powder Technology, 221, 90-100.
- A general compartment-based population balance model for particle coating and layered granulation. AIChE Journal, 58(5), 1397-1408.
- Growth rates of ibuprofen crystals grown from ethanol and aqueous ethanol. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 90(1), 158-161.
- Correlation of second virial coefficient with solubility for proteins in salt solutions. Biotechnology Progress, 28(1), 163-170.
- Examining the failure modes of wet granular materials using dynamic diametrical compression. Powder Technology.
- Examining the failure modes of wet granular materials using dynamic diametrical compression. Powder Technology, 224, 189-195.
- A priori performance prediction in pharmaceutical wet granulation: Testing the applicability of the nucleation regime map to a formulation with a broad size distribution and dry binder addition. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 418(2), 254-264.
- Granule formation mechanisms and morphology from single drop impact on powder beds. Powder Technology, 212(1), 69-79.
- Incorporating particle flow information from discrete element simulations in population balance models of mixer-coaters. Chemical Engineering Science, 66(16), 3592-3604.
- Crystallization kinetics of ibuprofen from ethanol and aqueous ethanol. Chemical Engineering Transactions, 24, 631-636.
- Foreword. European Urological Review, 6(2), 1.
- Breakage of drop nucleated granules in a breakage only high shear mixer. Chemical Engineering Science, 65(21), 5651-5657.
- Modeling the crystallization of proteins and small organic molecules in nanoliter drops. AIChE Journal, NA-NA.
- Using the discrete element method to predict collision-scale behavior: A sensitivity analysis. Chemical Engineering Science, 64(15), 3407-3416.
- A Study on Nucleation for Protein Crystallization in Mixed Vessels. Crystal Growth & Design, 9(5), 2198-2206.
- A mechanistic model for breakage in population balances of granulation: Theoretical kernel development and experimental validation. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 87(4), 598-614.
- Model predictive control of continuous drum granulation. Journal of Process Control, 19(4), 615-622.
- Experimental validation studies on a multi-dimensional and multi-scale population balance model of batch granulation. Chemical Engineering Science, 64(4), 775-786.
- Wet granule breakage in a breakage only high-hear mixer: Effect of formulation properties on breakage behaviour. Powder Technology, 189(2), 158-164.
- Experimental studies on distributions of granule size, binder content and porosity in batch drum granulation: Inferences on process modelling requirements and process sensitivities. Powder Technology, 188(2), 89-101.
- Effect of particle properties on the flowability of ibuprofen powders. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 362(1-2), 109-117.
- Mechanical Characterization of Protein Crystals. Particle & Particle Systems Characterization, 25(3), 266-276.
- A three-dimensional population balance model of granulation with a mechanistic representation of the nucleation and aggregation phenomena. Chemical Engineering Science, 63(5), 1315-1329.
- Chapter 20 Granulation rate processes, 897-977.
- The density of a protein crystal. Powder Technology, 179(1-2), 55-58.
- Crystallization of alpha-lactose monohydrate in a drop-based microfluidic crystallizer. Chemical Engineering Science, 62(17), 4802-4810.
- Dissolution Behavior of Soy Proteins and Effect of Initial Concentration. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 55(6), 2467-2473.
- A novel nucleation apparatus for regime separated granulation. Powder Technology, 171(2), 96-105.
- Precipitation of soy proteins: Particle formation and protein separation. AIChE Journal, 53(2), 514-522.
- Determination of coalescence kernels for high-shear granulation using DEM simulations. Powder Technology, 170(2), 53-63.
- Balancing Curriculum Processes and Content in a Project Centred Curriculum. Education for Chemical Engineers, 1(1), 39-48.
- Balancing Curriculum Processes and Content in a Project Centred Curriculum. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 84(7), 619-628.
- Mechanics of raceway hysteresis in a packed bed. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 36(6), 755-764.
- Modelling nucleation in wet granulation. Chemical Engineering Science, 60(14), 3751-3761.
- Binder-treated segregation-free aluminum alloy powders. International Journal of Powder Metallurgy (Princeton, New Jersey), 41(1), 42-49.
- Application of X-ray microtomography to numerical simulations of agglomerate breakage by distinct element method. Advanced Powder Technology, 15(4), 447-457.
- Effect of granule morphology on breakage behaviour during compression. Powder Technology, 143-144, 84-96.
- Nucleation regime map for liquid bound granules. Aiche Journal, 492(2), 350-361.
- Dimensionless spray flux in wet granulation: Monte-Carlo simulations and experimental validation. Powder Technology, 141(1-2), 20-30.
- Dynamic Interfacial Tension of Aqueous Solutions of PVAAs and Its Role in Liquid-Liquid Dispersion Stabilization. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING OF JAPAN, 37(2), 181-186.
- A population balance model for high shear granulation. Chemical Engineering Communications, 190(10), 1309-1334.
- A cold model study of raceway hysteresis. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 34(2), 183-191.
- The importance of wet-powder dynamic mechanical properties in understanding granulation. Powder Technology, 130(1-3), 97-101.
- Strength and attrition resistance of agglomerates and particulate coatings. Powder Technology, 130(1-3), 415-420.
- Flow patterns in granulating systems. Powder Technology, 130(1-3), 91-96.
- Scaleup of wet granulation processes: science not art. Powder Technology, 130(1-3), 35-40.
- Structural and Mechanical Properties of Nanostructured Granular Alumina Catalysts. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 42(3), 442-447.
- Drop Penetration into Porous Powder Beds. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 253(2), 353-366.
- Experimental study of drop-interface coalescence in the presence of polymer stabilisers. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 207(1-3), 89-104.
- Population balance modelling of granulation with a physically based coalescence kernel. Chemical Engineering Science, 57(12), 2183-2191.
- Unsaturated liquid percolation flow through nonwetted packed beds. AIChE Journal, 48(5), 953-962.
- Growth and compaction behaviour of copper concentrate granules in a rotating drum. Powder Technology, 124(3), 230-237.
- Scale-up of mixer granulators for effective liquid distribution. Powder Technology, 124(3), 272-280.
- Forward to special edition of powder technology from “Control of Particulate Processes VI”. Powder Technology, 124(3), 175-175.
- Liquid distribution as a means to describing the granule growth mechanism. Powder Technology, 123(2-3), 166-177.
- Nucleation, growth and breakage phenomena in agitated wet granulation processes: a review. Powder Technology, 117(1-2), 3-39.
- Growth regime map for liquid-bound granules: further development and experimental validation. Powder Technology, 117(1-2), 83-97.
- Liquid distribution in wet granulation: dimensionless spray flux. Powder Technology, 114(1-3), 32-39.
- Experimental Investigation of Liquid Flow Shift Due to Gas Cross Flow in Non-wetted Packed Beds.. ISIJ International, 41(1), 10-17.
- Quantifying CVD diamond growth and morphology: a useful technique for studying growth kinetics. Diamond and Related Materials, 9(3-6), 328-332.
- Evaluation of control strategies for fertiliser granulation circuits using dynamic simulation. Powder Technology, 108(2-3), 122-129.
- Coalescence of deformable granules in wet granulation processes. AIChE Journal, 46(3), 529-539.
- Simulation of Gas-Liquid Flow in Dripping Zone of Blast Furnace Involving Impermeable Fused Layers.. ISIJ International, 40(7), 627-636.
- Dynamic model development for residence time distribution control in high-impact polypropylene copolymer process. Chemical Engineering Science, 54(15-16), 3263-3271.
- Solid-state fermentation in rotating drum bioreactors: Operating variables affect performance through their effects on transport phenomena. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 63(4), 383-391.
3N 4-bonded SiC bricks in blast furnace environment. Journal of Engineering and Applied Science, 38(12), 1326-1331.
High temperature behavior of Si
- Liquid-bound granule impact deformation and coefficient of restitution. Powder Technology, 99(3), 234-242.
- Fundamental studies of granule consolidation part 2: Quantifying the effects of particle and binder properties. Powder Technology, 99(3), 243-250.
- Growth regime map for liquid-bound granules. AIChE Journal, 44(7), 1510-1518.
- High Temperature Behavior of Si3N4-bonded SiC Bricks in Blast Furnace Environment.. ISIJ International, 38(12), 1326-1331.
- Nonwetting flow of a liquid through a packed bed with gas cross-flow. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 28(4), 597-604.
- Experimental and numerical simulation of discrete liquid flow in a packed bed. Chemical Engineering Science, 52(21-22), 4013-4019.
- Flow visualisation study in porous media using X-rays. Steel Research, 68(10), 434-440.
- Visualisation and maximum percolation velocity of non-wetting liquid flow through a 2-D packed bed. Scandinavian Journal of Metallurgy, 26(2), 79-84.
- Model Studies of Liquid Flow in the Blast Furnace Lower Zone.. ISIJ International, 36(1), 32-39.
- Fluidized drum granulation: studies of agglomerate formation. Powder Technology, 88(2), 165-172.
- A direct current, plasma fluidized bed reactor: its characteristics and application in diamond synthesis. Powder Technology, 88(1), 65-70.
- Fundamental studies of granule consolidation Part 1: Effects of binder content and binder viscosity. Powder Technology, 88(1), 15-20.
- A Funtadamental Study on Particle Transport Through Rotary Dryers for Flight Design and System Optimisation. Drying Technology, 13(5-7), 1261-1278.
- Further Theoretical Studies on Rotary Drying Processes Represented By Distributed Systems. Drying Technology, 13(3), 737-751.
- Steady state modelling and simulation of a fertilizer granulation circuit. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 19(4), 383-393.
- Adjustable discretized population balance for growth and aggregation. AIChE Journal, 41(3), 591-603.
- Population balance modelling of drum granulation of materials with wide size distribution. Powder Technology, 82(1), 37-49.
- Voidage of ferrous sinter beds: new measurement technique and dependence on feed characteristics. International Journal of Mineral Processing, 41(1-2), 53-69.
- An investigation of pre-ignition air flow in ferrous sintering. International Journal of Mineral Processing, 42(1-2), 37-52.
- A DISTRIBUTED PARAMETER APPROACH TO THE DYNAMICS OF ROTARY DRYING PROCESSES. Drying Technology, 11(7), 1641-1656.
- The effect of process parameters on drum granulation of fertilizers with broad size distributors. Chemical Engineering Science, 48(23), 3951-3961.
- Coating mass distribution from a spouted bed seed coater: Experimental and modelling studies. Powder Technology, 74(3), 259-270.
- Spouted bed seed coating: The effect of process variables on maximum coating rate and elutriation. Powder Technology, 74(3), 215-230.
- The effect of particle shape on the spouting properties of non-spherical particles. Powder Technology, 66(1), 59-67.
- Resource based education for training chemical engineers. CEA : chemical engineering in Australia, 15(2), 15-17.
- Kinetics of iron ore sinter feed granulation. Powder Technology, 62(2), 125-134.
- A mathematical model for the prediction of granule size distribution for multicomponent sinter feed.. ISIJ International, 29(4), 274-283.
- Pyrolysis of Rundle oil shale in a continuous fluidized bed retort. Fuel, 67(10), 1327-1330.
- Influence of the material properties of iron ore sinter feed on granulation effectiveness. Powder Technology, 55(2), 141-151.
- Coke degradation by surface breakage in a modified tumble drum.. Transactions of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, 27(1), 3-9.
- A quantitative measure of coke abrasion.. Transactions of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, 26(8), 704-709.
- A model for predicting the size distribution of product from a granulating drum.. Transactions of the Iron and Steel Institute of Japan, 26(12), 1036-1044.
- FUNDAMENTALS OF GRANULATION OF IRON ORE FOR FERROUS SINTER PRODUCTION., 72-77.
- MEASURING THE STRENGTH OF AGGLOMERATE MATERIALS., 118-123.
- Column Design for Recovery of NH3and CO2from Wastewater in a Urea Plant. Separation Science and Technology, 16(10), 1339-1354.
- Evaluating the influence of polymers on nucleation and growth in supersaturated solutions of acetaminophen. CrystEngComm, 17(6), 1242-1248.
- Quantitative analysis of the inhibitory effect of HPMC on felodipine crystallization kinetics using population balance modeling. CrystEngComm, 15(12), 2197-2205.
- Smart process manufacturing for formulated products. Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Nuclei size distribution modelling in wet granulation. Chemical Engineering Science: X, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Efficient Global Sensitivity-Based Model Calibration of a High-Shear Wet Granulation Process. Chemical Engineering Science.
- Scale-Up Considerations in Granulation, Handbook of Pharmaceutical Granulation Technology (pp. 705-743).
- Continuous Wet Granulation, Continuous Pharmaceutical Processing (pp. 269-300). Springer International Publishing
- Mechanistic modeling of high-shear and twin screw mixer granulation processes, Predictive Modeling of Pharmaceutical Unit Operations (pp. 99-135). Elsevier
- List of contributors, Predictive Modeling of Pharmaceutical Unit Operations (pp. ix-xi). Elsevier
- Predictive modeling of pharmaceutical unit operations, Predictive Modeling of Pharmaceutical Unit Operations (pp. xiii-xxiv). Elsevier
- Mechanistic modeling of high-shear and twin screw mixer granulation processes, Predictive Modeling of Pharmaceutical Unit Operations (pp. 99-135).
- Chapter 25 Scale Up Considerations in Granulation In Parikh D (Ed.), Handbook of Pharmaceutical Granulation Technology, Third Edition CRC Press
- Scale-Up Considerations in Granulation, Drugs and the Pharmaceutical Sciences (pp. 459-490). Informa Healthcare
- WET GRANULATION PROCESSES, Chemical Engineering in the Pharmaceutical Industry (pp. 147-171). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Wet Granulation Processes, Chemical Engineering in the Pharmaceutical Industry (pp. 757-780). John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Conference proceedings papers
- View this article in WRRO A New Curriculum to Train Chemical Engineers to Solve 21st Century Grand Challenges. 5 TH Annual Symposium of the United Kingdom & Ireland Engineering Education Research Network:
- Kinetics of immersion nucleation driven by surface tension.. 7th International Granulation Workshop. Sheffield, UK, 1 July 2015 - 3 July 2015.
- Characterization of distributive mixing elements and effect of downstream conveying elements in twin screw granulation. Particle Technology Forum 2014 - Core Programming Area at the 2014 AIChE Annual Meeting (pp 251-260)
- Modeling drug precipitation in the human gastrointestinal tract using gCOAS. Pharmaceutical Discovery, Development and Manufacturing Forum 2013 - Core Programming Area at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting: Global Challenges for Engineering a Sustainable Future (pp 75-76)
- Purdue's Engineer of 2020: The journey. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings
- Dynamic modelling of particle-droplet collisions. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Crystallization of pharmaceuticals via microfluidic crystallization. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- A combined mechanistic model for nucleation, aggregation and breakage in a population balance model of granulation. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- A mechanistic model for nucleation and aggregation in population balances of granulation: Batch characterisation studies and experimental validation. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Correlating molecular interactions with solubility of alpha-amylase from bacillus licheniformis. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Effect of other protein on the solubility of hen egg white lysozyme. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Influence of surface tack of food products on agglomeration in spray drying. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Kinetics and modeling of crystallization in surfactant-free monodisperse emulsions. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- The attrition and breakage propensity of some industrially crystallized materials. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Dynamic mechanical properties of partially saturated granules. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings
- Wet granule breakage in high shear mixer granulation. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings (pp 3010)
- Crystallization in monodisperse emulsions. AIChE Annual Meeting, Conference Proceedings (pp 2410)
- Chemical Etching of Diamond Revisited: Past Basic Research as Guide to New Processing Technologies. MRS Proceedings, Vol. 495
- Diamond Needles And Tips As Engineered Growth Shapes. MRS Proceedings, Vol. 416
- Effect of process variables on the maximum coating rate in a spouted bed seed coater. CHEMECA '90, Australasian Chemical Engineering Conference (pp 626-633)
- Modelling of fertilizer granulation using population balance techniques. CHEMECA '90, Australasian Chemical Engineering Conference (pp 642-649)
- ASPECTS OF PARTICLE SIZE IN THE PROCESSING OF OIL SHALE.. National Conference Publication - Institution of Engineers, Australia(82 /9) (pp 46-50)
- ROLE OF KINETICS IN OIL SHALE RETORTING.. National Conference Publication - Institution of Engineers, Australia(82 /9) (pp 35-39)
- Purdue's Engineer Of 2020: The Journey. 2009 Annual Conference & Exposition Proceedings, 14 June 2009 - 17 June 2009.
- High-shear granulation: An investigation into granule breakage rates.
- An investigation into growth of non-wetting system in high shear granulation. AIChE Annual Meeting 2016.
- An Investigation into growth of non-wetting system in high shear granulation. Joint IFPRI Robert Pfeffer Symposium & UK Particle Technology Forum.