Dr Yajue Wu
BSc (Tsinghua), MSc (Tsinghua), PhD (Sheffield), CEng, MIFire & MIstE
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Undergraduate Year Tutor: Year Abroad
+44 114 222 7514
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I obtained my BSc and MSc degrees from Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. My PhD research was undertaken at the University of Sheffield from 1989 to 1992, and was on the dynamics of vented explosions in the context of the safety of offshore platforms.
Upon completion of my PhD in 1992 I joined Edinburgh University as a post-doctoral research fellow. I worked at the Health and Safety Laboratory at Buxton on an intensive experimental investigation of tunnel fires, and also on the CFD study of the mechanisms of the King´s Cross Underground Station fire in 1987.
In September 1994, I returned to the University of Sheffield as a lecturer in Chemical Engineering.
- Research interests
My current research interests include hydrogen energy systems, fast fire spread phenomena in buildings and underground structures, tunnel fires, dynamics of fires and explosions, combustion and heat transfer in industrial furnaces, hazard analysis and risk assessment of process industry and flow visualization.
- Hydrogen energy systems.
- Fast fire spread phenomena in buildings and underground structures and tunnel fires
- Dynamics of fires and explosions
- Combustion and heat transfer in industrial furnaces
- Hazard analysis and risk assessment of process industry
- Measurements and modelling of the response of an ultrasonic pulse to a lithium-ion battery as a precursor for state of charge estimation. Journal of Energy Storage, 36. View this article in WRRO
- The effects of hydrogen addition on the chemical kinetics of hydrogen-hydrocarbon flames : a computational study. South African Journal of Chemical Engineering, 33, 1-28.
- CO2 gasification of bio-char derived from conventional and microwave pyrolysis. Applied Energy, 157, 533-539.
- Enhancing the heat transfer in a heat treatment furnace through improving the combustion process in the radiation tubes. IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics, 77(1), 59-71.
- Study of the characteristics of the ashing process of straw/coal combustion. Fuel, 90(9), 2939-2944.
- Analysis of the behaviour of pollutant gas emissions during wheat straw/coal cofiring by TG-FTIR. Fuel Processing Technology, 92(5), 1037-1041.
- Prediction of the liftoff, blowout and blowoff stability limits of pure hydrogen and hydrogen/hydrocarbon mixture jet flames. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, 34(14), 5940-5945.
- Assessment of the impact of jet flame hazard from hydrogen cars in road tunnels. TRANSPORT RES C-EMER, 16(2), 246-254.
- The stability of turbulent hydrogen jet flames with carbon dioxide and propane addition. FUEL, 86(12-13), 1840-1848.
- . Fire Safety Journal, 42(3), 243-244.
- Influence of tunnel width on longitudinal smoke control. FIRE SAFETY J, 41(6), 420-426.
- Experimental study of the characteristics of a novel swirl burner for combustion of low rank pulverized coal. 5th Asia-Pacific Conference on Combustion, ASPACC 2005: Celebrating Prof. Bob Bilger's 70th Birthday, 125-128.
- Horizontal split combustion burner in a 200-MW tangential fired boiler. J ENERGY INST, 77(513), 97-107.
- Detection of velocity distribution of a flow field using sequences of Schlieren images. OPT ENG, 40(8), 1661-1666.
- Control of smoke flow in tunnel fires using longitudinal ventilation systems - a study of the critical velocity. FIRE SAFETY J, 35(4), 363-390.
- Interaction of fire plume with inclined surface. FIRE SAFETY J, 35(4), 391-403.
- Visualisation and image analysis of temperature distribution using a positive-negative grid Schlieren system. HIGH-SPEED IMAGING AND SEQUENCE ANALYSIS, 3642, 149-155.
- Index method for cost-effective assessment of risk to the environment from accidental releases. HAZARDS XIV(144), 475-488.
- Smoke control in sloping tunnels. FIRE SAFETY J, 27(4), 335-341.
- A mathematical model for vented explosions in a cylindrical chamber. PROCESS SAF ENVIRON, 74(B1), 31-37.
- Fire driven flow in an inclined trench. Fire Safety, 25(2), 141-158.
- EXPERIMENTAL STUDIES ON GAS-DYNAMICS OF VENTING EXPLOSIONS. CHEM ENG RES DES, 70(2), 200-202.
- Hydrogen-powered cars and tunnel safety In Beard A & Carvel R (Ed.), Handbook of Tunnel Fire Safety (pp. 671-675). London: ICE Publishing, Thomas Telford Ltd.
- Water-based fire-suppression systems for tunnels In Beard A & Carvel R (Ed.), Handbook of Tunnel Fire Safety (pp. 127-149). London: ICE Publishing, Thomas Telford Ltd.
- Flame Lift-Off and Blow-out Stability Limits and Their Application in Gas Burners In Lackner M & Winter F (Ed.), Handbook of Combustion (pp. 121-140). Germany: Wiley-VCH.
- Mixing Power Concepts in Scramjet Combustor Design, ICASE/NASA LaRC Series (pp. 531-584). Springer New York
Conference proceedings papers
- The Challenges of Effective Risk Assessment and Safety Management of Fire and Explosion Hazards. Proceedings of the Eighth International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards (ISFEH8) (pp 22-31), 25 April 2016 - 28 April 2016. View this article in WRRO
- The Challenges and Opportunities of New Energy Vehicles in Tunnels. The Proceedings of The Fire Protection and Safety in Tunnels 2016, 6 September 2016 - 8 September 2016.
- Membrane Separation of the products of Gasification. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Nanotechnology, Nanomaterials & Thin Films for Energy Applications, 27 July 2016 - 29 July 2016.
- Modelling of self-heating behaviour during storage of torrefied biomass fuel. Proceedings of Interflam 2016, 14th International Conference and Exhibition on Fire Science and Engineering, 4 July 2016 - 6 July 2016.
- Kinetic Model to Establish the Heat Release Rate from Vehicle Fires in Tunnel. 7th International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security, 16 - 18 March, 2016, Montréal, Canada, 16 March 2016 - 18 March 2016.
- The Effect of Ventilation and Tunnel Geometry on the Fire Heat Release Rate. The 6th International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security. Marseille, France., 12 March 2014 - 14 March 2014.
- Flame Stability Characteristics and Reaction Kinetics of the H2-CH4-CO2 Mixtures. European Combustion meeting 2013. Lund Sweden, 25 June 2013 - 28 June 2013.
- The Dynamics of Tunnel Ventilation and Fire Development. Fifth International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security. New York USA, 14 March 2012 - 16 March 2012.
- Effects of H2 on the Chemical Kinetics and Flame Stability Characteristics of the Hydrogen-Hydrocarbon Mixtures. the 33rd International Symposium on Combustion. Beijing, 2-6 August 2010, 2 August 2010 - 6 August 2010.
- Assessment of the Effects of Inert Gas and Hydrocarbon Fuel Dilution on Hydrogen Flames. 3rd International Conference on Hydrogen Safety. Ajaccio, Corsica, France., 16 September 2009 - 18 September 2009.
- Reduction of gas consumption in pilot burners and batch type Kilns. 8th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers. Vilamoura, Portugal, 25 March 2008 - 28 March 2008.
- Initial Assessment of the Impact of Jet Flame Hazard from Hydrogen Cars in Road Tunnels. 3rd International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security. Stockholm, Sweden, 12-14 March 2008., 12 March 2008 - 14 March 2008.
- Initial Assessment of the impact of jet flame hazard from hydrogen cars in road tunnels and the implication on hydrogen car design. 2nd International Conference on Hydrogen Safety Conference. San Sebastian, Spain., 11 September 2007 - 13 September 2007.
- Prediction of the Lift-off, Blow-out and Blow-off Stability Limits of Pure Hydrogen and Hydrocarbon Mixture Jet Flames. 2nd International Conference on Hydrogen Safety Conference. San Sebastian, Spain., 11 September 2007 - 13 September 2007.
- The Stability of hydrogen and Hydrocarbon Jet Flames. European Combustion Meeting 2007. Chania, Crete., 11 April 2007 - 13 April 2007.
- Initial assessment of the implication on ventilation system of transporting hydrogen cars through existing road tunnels. 12th International Symposium on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels, Vol. 2 (pp 873-881)
- Effect Of Carbon Dioxide, Argon And Hydrocarbon Fuels On The Stability Of Hydrogen Jet Flames. the International Conference on Hydrogen Safety. Pisa, Italy, 7 September 2005 - 10 September 2005.
- Experimental Study on Characteristics of a Swirl Burner. Fifth Asia Pacific Combustion Symposium, 17-20 July, 2005, Adelaide, Australia.. Fifth Asia Pacific Combustion Symposium, 17-20 July, 2005, Adelaide, Australia., 17 July 2005 - 20 July 2005.
- The Effect of Hydrocarbon Fuel on the Stability of Hydrogen Jet Flame. 2nd European Combustion Meeting. Louvain-la-Neuve, 3 April 2005 - 6 April 2005.
- The stability of turbulent hydrogen diffusion jet flames. 7th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, GLASGOW2005, incorporating the 5th European Congress of Chemical Engineering (pp 570)
- Effect of Carbon Dioxide and Propane on the Stability of Turbulent Hydrogen Flames. 1st European Combustion Meeting. Orléans, France, 25 October 2003 - 28 October 2003.
- Effect of Carbon Dioxide and Propane on the Stability of Turbulent Hydrogen Flames. 4th International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards. Londonderry, UK, 7 September 2003 - 12 September 2003.
- Smoke control in tunnels with slope using longitudinal ventilation effect of tunnel slope on critical velocity. International Symposium on Aerodynamics and Ventilation of Vehicle Tunnels, Vol. 1 (pp 77-86)
- Fire Plumes in Transportation Tunnels using Longitudinal Ventilation Systems. 7th International Symposium on Fire Safety Science. Worcester, USA, 16 June 2002 - 21 June 2002.
- Flow visualization using the negative-positive grid schlieren system and its image analysis. the 9th (Millennium) Symposium on Flow Visualization. Edinburgh ( ISBN 0 953399117)., 22 August 2000 - 25 August 2000.
- Control of smoke flow in tunnel fires using longitudinal ventilation systems - a study of the critical velocity. 10TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON AERODYNAMICS AND VENTILATION OF VEHICLE TUNNELS(43) (pp 639-657)
- Quantitative Analysis of Velocity Distribution from Schlieren Images. 8th International Symposium on Flow Visualisation. Sorrento, Italy, 1 September 1998 - 4 September 1998.
- Visualisation of Fire Plumes using Schlieren Techniques. 8th International Symposium on Flow Visualisation. Sorrento, Italy, 1 September 1998 - 4 September 1998.
- Development of Environmental Risk Index (ERI) Method for Assessing Risk from Accidental Release to the Environment. the IChemE Research Event 1998. the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne UK, 7 April 1998 - 8 April 1998.
- Effect of Slope on Control of Smoke Flow in Tunnel Fires. the 5th International Symposium of Fire Safety Science. Melbourne, Australia., 3 March 1997 - 7 March 1997.
- A study of the effect of tunnel aspect ratio on control of smoke flow in tunnel fires. 9TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AERODYNAMICS AND VENTILATION OF VEHICLE TUNNELS(27) (pp 573-587)
- A Mathematical Model for Vented Explosions. the Joint Meeting of the Portuguese, British, Spanish and Swedish Sections of the Combustion Institu. Funchal, Madeira, 1 April 1996 - 4 April 1996.
- An Experimental Study and CFD Simulation of Fast Fire Spread in an Inclined Trench. the Joint Meeting of the Portuguese, British, Spanish and Swedish Sections of the Combustion Institu. Funchal, Madeira., 1 April 1996 - 4 April 1996.
- A Study of the Mechanism of the Trench Effect. the First Europe Fire Science and Safety Conference. Zurich, 20 August 1995 - 24 August 1995.
- A Study of the Gas Dynamic Behaviour of Venting Explosions in a Cylindrical Chamber: Experiments and Mathematical Model. the Combustion Institute Joint British & German Section Meeting. Queens College, Cambridge, 31 March 1993 - 2 April 1993.
- Experimental Studies on the Gas Dynamic Behaviour of Venting Explosions. Institution of Chemical Engineers Research Event. Manchester., 9 January 1992 - 10 January 1992.
- CFD Analysis of NOx Formation from Heavy Fuel Oil Combustion. 10th European Conference on Industrial Furnaces and Boilers. Portugal, 7 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.