Dr Oleksandr O. Mykhaylyk
Department of Chemistry
Senior Research Fellow in Crystallisation
+44 114 222 9418
Full contact details
Department of Chemistry
13 Brook Hill
Dr. Sasha Mykhaylyk obtained his MSc in Physics (optics and spectroscopy) from Taras Shevchenko Kiev State University in 1991 (Diploma with distinction was awarded on graduation). After obtaining a PhD in solid state physics and crystallography from the Institute for Problems of Materials Science (the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences) in 1996, he became a Research Scientist at the same institute where he was later promoted to a Senior Scientist.
After holding Royal Society/NATO Fellowship at the University of Cambridge in 2000-2001 he joined the University of Leeds in 2002 as a Research Associate. He moved to the University of Sheffield in 2004 where he was promoted to a Research Fellow in 2011 and Senior Research Fellow in 2017.
- Research interests
Much of my research focuses on the structural analysis of soft matter materials and in particular polymers. We live in a Golden age of Materials Science and Biology, based on a solid underpinning from Chemistry and Physics. One of the keys to this success is recent progress in structural characterization techniques where scattering methods, giving access to structural organization of matter from atomic scales to microns, occupy a dominating role. Experimental data obtained by scattering methods (SAXS, WAXS, XRD, SANS and SLS) provide structural information associated with Fourier space.
My research investigates how this information can be transformed into real space, convenient for our understanding. This involves structural modelling, Monte-Carlo simulations and Fourier transformation techniques. An advantage of scattering methods is that they can be used for kinetic studies of materials in-situ in different environments. Therefore, an other aspect of my work is design of dedicated experimental set-ups for studying materials under external impact such as shear flow or extensional flow, temperature or pH changes.
I have a continuous interest in fat crystallization, colloids and nanoparticles structure, in particular core-shell systems (examples of my research are nanodiamonds to carbon onions transition, a phase separation of polyurethane confined by a nanosized spherical shell). My current research is on thermo-responsive block-copolymer micelles and vesicles.
Rheology is widely recognized as a basic method in processing of polymers, food and cosmetics. In addition, visualization can be used as an effective tool for studying phenomena taking place in fluids. Since soft matter materials subjected to flow often demonstrate a related anisotropy in their refractive index and stress, this causes birefringence visualizing the flow. I have recently developed a new combinatorial technique, shear-induced polarized light imaging (SIPLI), for rheo-optical measurements of polymeric liquids.
The SIPLI technique has already been successfully used for studying shear-induced nucleation and crystallization of polyolefins (see the figure), fibrillation in natural silks and flow alignment of block-copolymer self-assembled structures. My present research focuses on further development of SIPLI for in-situ studies of shear-induced phenomena such as stress, orientation and structural transitions taking place in gels, polymers, copolymers, liquid crystals and colloids.
Microstructure of solidified polymers depends on thermo-mechanical process history. In general, processed thermoplastics are composed of two structural morphologies: spherulitic (isotropic) and shish-kebab (anisotropic). Ratio of these morphologies in the end-product controls its mechanical properties and material performance.
While spherulitic structure is reasonably understood there is still no a reliable theory for structural formation of shear-induced shish-kebabs. My work is on physical understanding of how the formation of shear-induced morphologies is related to polymer polydispersity, thermodynamics and flow conditions. Based on our research we have proposed a four-stage model for shish-kebab formation including stretching of molecules, nucleation, aggregation and fibrillation.
- Rational synthesis of novel biocompatible thermoresponsive block copolymer worm gels.. Soft Matter.
- Control of the aqueous solubility of cellulose by hydroxyl group substitution and its effect on processing. Polymer.
- Co-assembly and structure of sodium dodecylsulfate and other n-alkyl sulfates in glycerol : n-alkyl sulfate-glycerol crystal phase. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science.
- Small‐angle x‐ray scattering studies of block copolymer nano‐objects : formation of ordered phases in concentrated solution during polymerization‐induced self‐assembly. Angewandte Chemie. View this article in WRRO
- Elastic flow instabilities and macroscopic textures in graphene oxide lyotropic liquid crystals. npj 2D Materials and Applications, 5(1).
- Flow-induced crystallisation of polymers from aqueous solution. Nature Communications, 11(1). View this article in WRRO
- Enthalpic incompatibility between two steric stabilizer blocks provides control over the vesicle size distribution during polymerization-induced self-assembly in aqueous media. Chemical Science. View this article in WRRO
- Role of sheet-edge interactions in β-sheet self-assembling peptide hydrogels. Biomacromolecules, 21(6), 2285-2297. View this article in WRRO
- X-ray nano-tomography of complete scales from the ultra-white beetles Lepidiota stigma and Cyphochilus. Scientific Data, 7(1). View this article in WRRO
- Time-resolved small-angle neutron scattering studies of the thermally-induced exchange of copolymer chains between spherical diblock copolymer nanoparticles prepared via polymerization-induced self-assembly. Soft Matter, 16(15), 3657-3668. View this article in WRRO
- SAXS studies of the thermally-induced fusion of diblock copolymer spheres : formation of hybrid nanoparticles of intermediate size and shape. Chemical Science, 11(17), 4312-4321. View this article in WRRO
- Influence of an ionic comonomer on polymerization-induced self-assembly of diblock copolymers in non-polar media. Polymer Chemistry. View this article in WRRO
- How do charged end-groups on the steric stabilizer block influence the formation and long-term stability of Pickering nanoemulsions prepared using sterically stabilized diblock copolymer nanoparticles?. Langmuir, 36(3), 769-780. View this article in WRRO
- Unique aqueous self-assembly behavior of a thermoresponsive diblock copolymer. Chemical Science, 11(2), 396-402. View this article in WRRO
- Liquid–liquid phase separation morphologies in ultra-white beetle scales and a synthetic equivalent. Communications Chemistry, 2(1). View this article in WRRO
- Artificial coiled coil biomineralisation protein for the synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles. Nature Communications, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- In situ small-angle X‑ray scattering studies during reversible addition−fragmentation chain transfer aqueous emulsion polymerization. Journal of the American Chemical Society. View this article in WRRO
- Refractive index matched, nearly hard polymer colloids. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 475(2226). View this article in WRRO
- Targeting triple-negative breast cancer cells using Dengue virus-mimicking pH-responsive framboidal triblock copolymer vesicles. Chemical Science, 10(18), 4811-4821. View this article in WRRO
- Correction: Thermoreversible crystallization-driven aggregation of diblock copolymer nanoparticles in mineral oil. Chemical Science, 10(3), 947-947.
- Stearyl Methacrylate-Based Polymers as Crystal Habit Modifiers for Triacylglycerols. Crystal Growth and Design, 18(11), 7094-7105. View this article in WRRO
- Critical Dependence of Molecular Weight on Thermoresponsive Behavior of Diblock Copolymer Worm Gels in Aqueous Solution. Macromolecules, 51(21), 8357-8371. View this article in WRRO
- Fat crystallite thickness distribution based on SAXD peak shape analysis. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 120(9). View this article in WRRO
- Thickness distribution of triglyceride crystallites in vegetable fat blends. Acta Crystallographica Section A Foundations and Advances, 74(a2), e257-e257.
- Thermoreversible crystallization-driven aggregation of diblock copolymer nanoparticles in mineral oil. Chemical Science, 9(17), 4071-4082. View this article in WRRO
- Self-Assembly of Amphiphilic Statistical Copolymers and Their Aqueous Rheological Properties. Macromolecules. View this article in WRRO
- Control of the Porous Structure of Polystyrene Particles Obtained by Nonsolvent Induced Phase Separation. Langmuir, 33(46), 13303-13314. View this article in WRRO
- Time-Resolved SAXS Studies of the Kinetics of Thermally Triggered Release of Encapsulated Silica Nanoparticles from Block Copolymer Vesicles. Macromolecules, 50(11), 4465-4473. View this article in WRRO
- Anisotropic pH-Responsive Hydrogels Containing Soft or Hard Rod-Like Particles Assembled Using Low Shear. Chemistry of Materials, 29(7), 3100-3110. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of Monomer Solubility on the Evolution of Copolymer Morphology during Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly in Aqueous Solution. Macromolecules, 50(3), 796-802. View this article in WRRO
- Adsorption of Small Cationic Nanoparticles onto Large Anionic Particles from Aqueous Solution: A Model System for Understanding Pigment Dispersion and the Problem of Effective Particle Density.. Langmuir. View this article in WRRO
- A Vesicle-to-Worm Transition Provides a New High-Temperature Oil Thickening Mechanism. Angewandte Chemie, 129(7), 1772-1776. View this article in WRRO
- A Vesicle-to-Worm Transition Provides a New High-Temperature Oil Thickening Mechanism.. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 56(7), 1746-1750. View this article in WRRO
- Erratum: Cover image, volume 54, issue 20. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 55(2), 214-214.
- ABC Triblock Copolymer Worms: Synthesis, Characterization, and Evaluation as Pickering Emulsifiers for Millimeter-Sized Droplets. Macromolecules, 49(20), 7897-7907. View this article in WRRO
- Applications of shear-induced polarized light imaging (SIPLI) technique for mechano-optical rheology of polymers and soft matter materials. Journal of Polymer Science Part B: Polymer Physics, 54(21), 2151-2170. View this article in WRRO
- RAFT Dispersion Alternating Copolymerization of Styrene with N-Phenylmaleimide: Morphology Control and Application as an Aqueous Foam Stabilizer. Macromolecules, 49(18), 6731-6742. View this article in WRRO
- Determining the Effective Density and Stabilizer Layer Thickness of Sterically Stabilized Nanoparticles. Macromolecules. View this article in WRRO
- Aligning self-assembled gelators by drying under shear. Chem. Commun., 52(42), 6934-6937. View this article in WRRO
- In situ small-angle X-ray scattering studies of sterically-stabilized diblock copolymer nanoparticles formed during polymerization-induced self-assembly in non-polar media. Chemical Science, 7, 5078-5090. View this article in WRRO
- How Do Spherical Diblock Copolymer Nanoparticles Grow during RAFT Alcoholic Dispersion Polymerization?. Macromolecules, 49(1), 172-181. View this article in WRRO
- Loading of Silica Nanoparticles in Block Copolymer Vesicles during Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly: Encapsulation Efficiency and Thermally Triggered Release. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137(51), 16098-16108. View this article in WRRO
- Spatially modulated structural colour in bird feathers. Scientific Reports, 5(1). View this article in WRRO
- Is Carbon Black a Suitable Model Colloidal Substrate for Diesel Soot?. Langmuir, 31(38), 10358-10369. View this article in WRRO
- Determination of Effective Particle Density for Sterically Stabilized Carbon Black Particles: Effect of Diblock Copolymer Stabilizer Composition. Langmuir, 31(32), 8764-8773. View this article in WRRO
- Macromol. Rapid Commun. 15/2015. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 36(15), 1452-1452. View this article in WRRO
- Polydimethylsiloxane-Based Diblock Copolymer Nano-objects Prepared in Nonpolar Media via RAFT-Mediated Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly. Macromolecules, 48(11), 3547-3555. View this article in WRRO
- Testing the Vesicular Morphology to Destruction: Birth and Death of Diblock Copolymer Vesicles Prepared via Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 137(5), 1929-1937. View this article in WRRO
- Star Diblock Copolymer Concentration Dictates the Degree of Dispersion of Carbon Black Particles in Nonpolar Media: Bridging Flocculation versus Steric Stabilization. Macromolecules, 48(11), 3691-3704. View this article in WRRO
- Framboidal triblock copolymer vesicles: A new class of efficient Pickering emulsifier. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 248.
- Rational Synthesis of Low-Polydispersity Block Copolymer Vesicles in Concentrated Solution via Polymerization-Induced Self-Assembly. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136(31), 11100-11106. View this article in WRRO
- Micellization and adsorption behavior of a near-monodisperse polystyrene-based diblock copolymer in nonpolar media.. Langmuir, 30(21), 6047-6056.
- Thermo-responsive diblock copolymer worm gels in non-polar solvents.. J Am Chem Soc, 136(15), 5790-5798. View this article in WRRO
- Aqueous worm gels can be reconstituted from freeze-dried diblock copolymer powder.. Soft Matter, 10(22), 3984-3992. View this article in WRRO
- Visible mie scattering from hollow silica particles with particulate shells. Chemistry of Materials, 26(2), 1270-1277.
- RAFT aqueous dispersion polymerization yields poly(ethylene glycol)-based diblock copolymer nano-objects with predictable single phase morphologies.. J Am Chem Soc, 136(3), 1023-1033. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of matrix polymer on flow-induced nucleation in polymer blends.. Phys Rev Lett, 110(8), 087801.
- Sterilizable gels from thermoresponsive block copolymer worms.. J Am Chem Soc, 134(23), 9741-9748.
- Correcting for a density distribution: particle size analysis of core-shell nanocomposite particles using disk centrifuge photosedimentometry.. Langmuir, 28(5), 2536-2544. View this article in WRRO
- Polymer Fibers: Silk and Synthetic Polymers: Reconciling 100 Degrees of Separation (Adv. Mater. 1/2012). Advanced Materials, 24(1), 104-104.
- Direct imaging of the orientational dynamics of block copolymer lamellar phase subjected to shear flow. Macromolecules, 45(12), 5260-5272.
- Silk and synthetic polymers: Reconciling 100 degrees of separation. Advanced Materials, 24(1), 105-109.
- Correcting for a density distribution: Particle size analysis of core-shell nanocomposite particles using disc centrifuge photosedimentometry. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 242.
- Characterization of polymer-silica nanocomposite particles with core-shell morphologies using Monte Carlo simulations and small angle X-ray scattering.. Langmuir, 27(13), 8075-8089.
- Using Multimodal Blends to Elucidate the Mechanism of Flow-Induced Crystallization in Polymers. J POLYM SCI POL PHYS, 49(9), 621-628.
- Magnetic field dependence of the diffusion of single dextran molecules within a hydrogel containing magnetite nanoparticles.. J Chem Phys, 134(9), 094901.
- Shear ordered diblock copolymers with tuneable optical properties.. Phys Chem Chem Phys, 13(8), 3179-3186.
- Nanoscale Phase Separation of P3HT PCBM Thick Films As Measured by Small-Angle X-ray Scattering. MACROMOLECULES, 44(16), 6503-6508.
- On the onset of oriented structures in flow-induced crystallization of polymers: A comparison of experimental techniques. Macromolecules, 44(7), 1783-1787.
- Continuously tuneable optical filters from self-assembled block copolymer blends. SOFT MATTER, 7(8), 3721-3725.
- Monodisperse macromolecules - A stepping stone to understanding industrial polymers. European Polymer Journal, 47(4), 447-464.
- Time-resolved small-angle X-ray scattering studies of polymer-silica nanocomposite particles: initial formation and subsequent silica redistribution.. J Am Chem Soc, 133(4), 826-837.
- Control of structural morphology in shear-induced crystallization of polymers. Macromolecules, 43(5), 2389-2405.
- Unexpected facile redistribution of adsorbed silica nanoparticles between latexes.. J Am Chem Soc, 132(7), 2166-2168.
- Time-resolved polarized light imaging of sheared materials: Application to polymer crystallization. Soft Matter, 6(18), 4430-4440.
- Monodisperse macromolecules - A stepping stone to understanding industrial polymers. European Polymer Journal.
- Polymersomes hydrophilic brush scaling relations. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 237.
- Effect of unsaturated acyl chains on structural transformations in triacylglycerols. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 111(3), 227-235.
- Polymersomes hydrophilic brush scaling relations. SOFT MATTER, 5(19), 3607-3610.
- The specific work of flow as a criterion for orientation in polymer crystallization. Macromolecules, 41(6), 1901-1904.
- The specific work of flow as a universal parameter to control the formation of Shish-Kebab morphology in polymers. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1027, 496-498.
- First user results from the HOTWAXS detector system. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 55(2), 729-733.
- Electrospinning pH-responsive block copolymer nanofibers. ADV MATER, 19(21), 3544-+.
- Cross-linking of cationic block copolymer micelles by silica deposition.. J Am Chem Soc, 129(6), 1717-1723.
- First user results from the HOTWAXS detector system. IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 4, 2416-2420.
- POLY 288-Monodisperse three-phase particles from micellar nanoreactors. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 232.
- Synthesis and solid state properties of a poly(methyl methacrylate)-block-poly(2-(diethylamino)ethyl methacrylate)-block-poly(methyl methacrylate) triblock copolymer. MACROMOLECULES, 39(16), 5573-5576.
- Structure of intermediate carbon phase formed under shock compression of ultradispersed graphite materials. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 45(1-2), 86-92.
- Transformation of nanodiamond into carbon onions: A comparative study by high-resolution transmission electron microscopy, electron energy-loss spectroscopy, x-ray diffraction, small-angle x-ray scattering, and ultraviolet Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Applied Physics, 97(7).
- The packing of triacylglycerols from SAXS measurements: Application to the structure of 1,3-distearoyl-2-oleoyl-sn-glycerol crystal phases. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 108(23), 8069-8083.
- Mesoscopic crystallography of shear-aligned soft materials. Journal of Applied Crystallography, 37(2), 341-344.
- Ordered structures and phase transitions in mixtures of a polystyrene/polyisoprene block copolymer with the corresponding homopolymers in thin films and in bulk. Macromolecules, 37(9), 3369-3377.
- Structure and transformation of low-temperature phases of 1,3-distearoyl-2-oleoyl glycerol. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 106(5), 319-324.
- Mechanism of the transition between lamellar and gyroid phases formed by a diblock copolymer in aqueous solution. Langmuir, 20(25), 10785-10790.
- Nanoscale structure of poly(ethylene glycol) hybrid block copolymers containing amphiphilic β-strand peptide sequences. Biomacromolecules, 4(4), 859-863.
- Phase formation and structure of bronze-iron-graphite composite powder material during hot forming. POWDER METALLURGY AND METAL CERAMICS, 41(7-8), 424-429.
- Phase segregation in silicon carbide-carbon solid solutions from XRD and NMR studies. Chemistry of Materials, 14(3), 1348-1353.
- Dielectric response function of GaPAs solid solutions in the vibrational absorption region. Technical Physics, 46(8), 968-976.
- . Refractories and Industrial Ceramics, 42(11/12), 429-433.
- . Refractories and Industrial Ceramics, 42(1/2), 11-14.
- . Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 40(9/10), 519-525.
- Superhard materials based on the solid solution SiC-C. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 11(1), 217-222.
- High-pressure sintering of a solid solution of carbon in SiC. INORGANIC MATERIALS, 35(10), 1054-1059.
- Properties and structure features of nanocomposite powders based on SiC. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 38(7-8), 336-339.
- Arrangement of C atoms in the SiC-C solid solution. Acta Crystallographica Section B: Structural Science, 55(3), 297-305.
- Synthesis and structural peculiarities of nonstoichiometric beta-SiC. DIAM RELAT MATER, 7(10), 1466-1470.
- Solid solution of carbon in beta-SiC. MATER LETT, 35(5-6), 277-282.
- Formation of a new phase upon heating of the products of interaction of SiC with SiO2. Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, 34(9-10), 513-514.
- PHASE STATE AND CRYSTAL-STRUCTURE OF PRODUCTS OBTAINED BY REACTION OF SIC WITH SIO2. INORGANIC MATERIALS, 31(3), 304-309.
- In situ small-angle X-ray scattering studies during the formation of polymer/silica nanocomposite particles in aqueous solution. Chemical Science.
- Shear-induced alignment of block copolymer worms in mineral oil. Soft Matter.
- Synthesis of diblock copolymer spheres, worms and vesicles via RAFT aqueous emulsion polymerization of hydroxybutyl methacrylate. Polymer Chemistry.
- Small‐angle X‐ray Scattering Studies of Block Copolymer Nano‐Objects: Formation of Ordered Phases in Concentrated Solution During Polymerization‐Induced Self‐Assembly. Angewandte Chemie International Edition.
- Effect of Salt on the Formation and Stability of Water-in-Oil Pickering Nanoemulsions Stabilized by Diblock Copolymer Nanoparticles. Langmuir.
- An ionic liquid extraction that preserves the molecular structure of cutin shown by nuclear magnetic resonance. Plant Physiology, pp.01049.2020-pp.01049.2020.
- Synthesis and pH-responsive dissociation of framboidal ABC triblock copolymer vesicles in aqueous solution. Chemical Science, 9(6), 1454-1463. View this article in WRRO
- Vermicious thermo-responsive Pickering emulsifiers. Chemical Science, 6(7), 4207-4214. View this article in WRRO
- Tuning the critical gelation temperature of thermo-responsive diblock copolymer worm gels. Polym. Chem., 5(21), 6307-6317.
- Framboidal ABC triblock copolymer vesicles: a new class of efficient Pickering emulsifier. Chemical Science, 6(11), 6179-6188. View this article in WRRO
- X-ray Ptychography with a Laboratory Source.
- Control of Particle Size in the Self-Assembly of Amphiphilic Statistical Copolymers. Macromolecules.
Conference proceedings papers
- Flow-induced crystallisation of polymers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 257
- Control of self-assembly of amphiphilic statistical copolymers by their composition. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- Semi-crystalline block copolymers as fat crystal habit modifiers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- Fabricating millifluidic devices for SAXS/WAXS using 3D printing; a quick and inexpensive method to exploit many geometries. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- Adsorption of small cationic nanoparticles onto large anionic particles from aqueous solution: A model system for understanding pigment dispersion and the problem of effective particle density. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- Using time-resolved small-angle X-ray scattering to study micellar nucleation during polymerization-induced self-assembly. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 255
- UCST-type behavior of poly(behenyl methacrylate)-stabilized nanoparticles in mineral oil dictates their degree of dispersion. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 254
- Effect of monomer solubility on the evolution of copolymer morphology during polymerization-induced self-assembly in aqueous solution. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 253
- Time-resolved small-angle x-ray scattering studies of the micellar nucleation event during polymerization-induced self-assembly. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 253
- Shear-induced alignment of diblock copolymer worm gels. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 253
- How do spherical diblock copolymer nanoparticles grow during RAFT alcoholic dispersion polymerization?. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 251
- Framboidal triblock copolymer vesicles: A new class of efficient Pickering emulsifier. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- In situ SAXS studies of polymerization-induced self-assembly during non-aqueous RAFT dispersion polymerization. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- Star diblock copolymer concentration dictates the degree of dispersion of carbon black particles in nonpolar media: Bridging flocculation vs. steric stabilization. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- Testing the vesicular morphology to destruction: Birth and death of diblock copolymer vesicles prepared via polymerization-induced self-assembly. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- pH-Responsive framboidal vesicles prepared using polymerization-induced self-assembly via RAFT aqueous dispersion polymerization as virus mimics. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 250
- Testing vesicles to destruction: SAXS and mass spectrometry studies on block copolymer vesicles prepared via polymerization-induced self-assembly. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 248
- Bespoke poly(ethylene glycol)-based diblock copolymer nano-objects via polymerization-induced self-assembly. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 248
- Thermo-responsive diblock copolymer worm gels with tunable critical gelation temperature. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 248
- Visible Mie scattering from hollow silica particles with particulate shells. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 248
- The specific work of flow as a universal parameter to control the formation of shish-kebab morphology in polymers. XVTH INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON RHEOLOGY - THE SOCIETY OF RHEOLOGY 80TH ANNUAL MEETING, PTS 1 AND 2, Vol. 1027 (pp 496-+)
- Structural models of metastable phases occurring during the crystallization process of saturated/unsaturated triacylglycerols. Journal of Applied Crystallography, Vol. 40(SUPPL. 1)
- The application of distance distribution functions to structural analysis of core-shell particles. Journal of Applied Crystallography, Vol. 40(SUPPL. 1)
- Biomimetic hierarchical order in PEG-peptide block copolymers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 227 (pp U518-U518)
- Nanoscale structure of Poly(Ethylene Glycol) hybrid block copolymers containing amphiphilic β-strand peptide sequences. European Cells and Materials, Vol. 6(SUPPL. 1) (pp 101)
- Teaching activities
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Polymer Characterisation and Analysis (Postgraduate Level)
This course explores the major instrumental methods for identifying polymers and determining characteristics including: polymer molecular weight, molecular weight distribution, stereochemistry, sequence distribution in copolymers, transition temperatures, and surface features.
- Level 4 Research Project
- Polymer Characterisation and Analysis (Postgraduate Level)