Professor Claudine Bowyer-Crane
BSC (Hons), DPhil
School of Education
Professor of Education
Full contact details
School of Education
Edgar Allen House
241 Glossop Rd
Claudine is a Psychologist with an interest in children's reading and language development, particularly children learning English as an Additional Language. She also specialises in Early Years research and the development and evaluation of educational interventions.
- Research interests
Claudine's research focuses on the development of language in young children and how this supports literacy development. She has been involved in a number of projects designing and evaluating early interventions including the Nuffield Early Language Intervention Home | Nuffield Early Language Intervention (NELI) (teachneli.org). She is theme lead for the Communication and Language strand of the Better Start Bradford project Home | Better Start Bradford, leading on evaluations of commissioned services in the Better Start Bradford reach areas.
As Associate Research Director at the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, Claudine was involved in a broad range of evaluation projects from pilot studies to RCT's. Currently Claudine is investigating the impact of COVID-19 on children's educational outcomes in the Early Years and early stages of primary school Home | ICICLES (iciclesproject.com).
Claudine is particularly interested in making links between research, policy and practice.
This person does not have any publications available.
- Developing Language and Literacy. Wiley.
- Delivering language intervention at scale : promises and pitfalls. Journal of Research in Reading. View this article in WRRO
- A randomised controlled feasibility trial and qualitative evaluation of an early years language development intervention: study protocol of the ‘outcomes of Talking Together evaluation and results’ (oTTer) project. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 5(1).
- Integrating research and system-wide practice in public health: lessons learnt from Better Start Bradford. BMC Public Health, 19(1).
- Integrating research and system-wide practice in public health to enhance the evidence-base of interventions: lessons learnt from Better Start Bradford. The Lancet, 392, S30-S30.
- The efficacy of early language intervention in mainstream school settings: a randomized controlled trial. The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry and Allied Disciplines, 58(10), 1141-1151. View this article in WRRO
- Early literacy and comprehension skills in children learning English as an additional language and monolingual children with language weaknesses. Reading and Writing, 30(4), 771-790. View this article in WRRO
- Oral language skills intervention in pre‐school—a cautionary tale. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 52(1), 71-79. View this article in WRRO
- Born in Bradford’s Better Start: an experimental birth cohort study to evaluate the impact of early life interventions. BMC Public Health, 16(1).
- National differences in mindset among students who plan to be teachers. International Journal of School & Educational Psychology, 4(3), 158-164.
- Development of a tablet application for the screening of receptive vocabulary skills in multilingual children: A pilot study. Child Language Teaching and Therapy, 32(2), 179-191. View this article in WRRO
- Cognitive skills used to solve mathematical word problems and numerical operations: a study of 6- to 7-year-old children. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 28(4), 1345-1360.
- Efficacy of language intervention in the early years. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 54(3), 280-290. View this article in WRRO
- The Causal Role of Phoneme Awareness and Letter-Sound Knowledge in Learning to Read. Psychological Science, 23(6), 572-577.
- Turning frogs into princes: can children make inferences from fairy tales?. Reading and Writing, 23(1), 19-29.
- Reading with vocabulary intervention: evaluation of an instruction for children with poor response to reading intervention. Journal of Research in Reading, 31(3), 319-336.
- Improving early language and literacy skills: differential effects of an oral language versus a phonology with reading intervention. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 49(4), 422-432.
- Assessing children's inference generation: What do tests of reading comprehension measure?. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 75(2), 189-201.
- Levels of literacy among juvenile offenders: the incidence of specific reading difficulties. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health, 10(4), 229-241.
- Working Memory Deficits in Poor Comprehenders Reflect Underlying Language Impairments. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 73(2), 139-158.
- Efficacy of small group reading intervention for beginning readers with reading-delay: a randomised controlled trial. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 47(8), 820-827.
- Teaching interests
Claudine teaches on the BA Education, Culture and Childhood; the MA Education, the MA Education and Psychology and the MSc Education and Psychology (Conversion) programmes as well as supervising students on the EdD programme.