Emeritus Professor Gareth Parry
BA (Hons), CertEd, PhD, FRSA, FSRHE
School of Education
Emeritus Professor of Education
Visiting Professor, ESRC Centre for Global Higher Education
Visiting Fellow, Oxford Centre for Higher Education Policy Studies, New College Oxford
Winner, Wonkhe Award for Lifetime Contribution to Better Higher Education Policy
Full contact details
School of Education
Edgar Allen House
241 Glossop Rd
- Research interests
Gareth researches system change and policy reform in higher education, nationally and internationally.
He has led major research projects funded by the research councils, charitable foundations, government departments and national agencies on aspects of organisation and participation in tertiary education. He was a research consultant to the Dearing inquiry into higher education (1996-97) and the Foster review of further education colleges (2004-05). He was a founding member of the ESRC Centre for Global Higher Education, a social science research centre dedicated to the study of higher education and its future.
His current work is focused on:
- college systems of higher, professional and vocational education
- policy inquiry processes in tertiary education
- student participation, mobility and equity
- Teaching activities
Gareth is an external examiner for Doctoral degrees in the UK and worldwide.
Recent books and research monographs
- Scott P, Gallacher J and Parry G (Eds) (2017) New Languages and Landscapes of Higher Education. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 273 pp.
- Parry G, Saraswat A and Thompson A (2017) Sub-Bachelor Higher Education in the United Kingdom. Gloucester: QAA, 105 pp.
- Hunt S, Callender C and Parry G (2016) The Entry and Experience of Private Providers of Higher Education in Six Countries. London: Centre for Global Higher Education, UCL Institute of Education, 96 pp.
- Parry G, Callender C, Scott P and Temple P (2012) Understanding Higher Education in Further Education Colleges, BIS Research Paper 69. London: Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, 219 pp.
- Rashid S, Parry G, Thompson A and Brooks G (2011) Patterns of Further and Higher Education in Colleges and Universities in England: A Statistical Summary and Technical Commentary. Bristol: HEFCE, 89 pp.
- David M with Bathmaker A-M, Crozier G, Davis P, Ertl H, Fuller A, Haywood G, Heath S, Hockings C, Parry G, Vignoles A and Williams J (2010) Improving Learning by Widening Participation. Abingdon: Routledge, 258 pp.
Recent journal articles
- Parry G (2016) College higher education in England 1944-1966 and 1997-2010, London Review of Education, 14 (1), pp 85-104
- Parry G (2015) English higher education and its vocational zones, Research in Comparative and International Education, 10 (4), pp 493-509.
- Parry G (2014) Robbins and Advanced Further Education, Higher Education Quarterly, 68 (2), pp 187-209.
- Barnett R and Parry G (2014) Policy analysis in higher education: negotiating dilemmas, Magis. Revista Internacional de Investigacion en Education, 7 (14), pp 69-84.
- Parry G (2013) Colleges and the Governance of Higher Education, Higher Education Quarterly, 67 (4), pp 315-339.
- Parry G (2012) Higher education in further education colleges. A primer, Perspectives, 16 (4), pp 118-122.
- Parry G (2011) Mobility and hierarchy in the age of near-universal access, Critical Studies in Education, 52 (2), pp 135-149.
- Parry G (2010) The dirty work of higher education, London Review of Education, 8 (3), pp 217-227.
- Parry G (2009) Further education, higher education and the English experiment, Higher Education Quarterly, 63 (4), pp 322-342.
- Parry G (2009) Student demand and institutional diversification: the case of England, Journal of Adult and Continuing Education, 15 (2), pp 170-186.