Dr Themesa Y Neckles
BSc (Hons), MEd, PhD, SFHEA
School of Education
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
+44 114 222 8106
Full contact details
School of Education
Edgar Allen House
241 Glossop Rd
- Research interests
Themesa is interested in using critical methodologies for inquiring into issues related to educational theory, policy and practice with focus on an emancipatory agenda for individuals’ lives, their work and the societies in which they live. She is also interested in engaging with theoretical issues around spirituality and education.
Her current research critically explores the work of John Dewey on the Theory of Experience with a view to reconceptualising physical education as an educational practice.
Themesa’s research also demonstrates how a democratic process towards mass participation in school physical education can provide meaningful movement experiences at the school level, in order to establish a physical culture, where lifelong physical activity engagement is encouraged and maintained within a democratic society.
- '... And This Too Shall Pass!' Spiritual Striving and the Academic Life of Three Women. Journal for the Study of Spirituality, 1(1), 112-129.
- Teaching activities
Themesa teaches the research modules on the BA Education, Culture and Childhood and contributes to work on the Sheffield EdD, MA Globalising Education and the Taught Masters in the UK.
Themesa directed the Caribbean MEd. Programme at the School of Education and was the module coordinator for the Educational Research and Transformations of Professional Practice modules. She taught these modules on the Certificate/Diploma/Masters (MEd) in Education, Globalisation & Inclusion on the Caribbean MEd. Programme.
Past Teaching and Examining Experience
Themesa has worked as a part-time Teaching Associate on the Caribbean Masters Programme and was previously a full-time Lecturer in Physical Education for the BEd. Teacher Education Programme at the University of Trinidad and Tobago, Trinidad, West Indies. Themesa also taught physical education at all levels of the education system in Trinidad and Tobago as well as at Academies, 11 to 18 comprehensives and grammar schools in South Yorkshire, UK.
- Professional activities and memberships
- Member of the Sheffield Institute for Interdisciplinary Biblical Studies (SIIBS)
- Involved in research activities for the National Gas Company of Trinidad and Tobago Right on Track (ROT) Track and Field Development Programme
- Recipient of the University of Sheffield’s Vice Chancellor’s Award for Caribbean students - three year, full time doctoral studies in Education at the University of Sheffield, UK
- Recipient, University of Sheffield Alumni award, UK
- External examiner for Physical Education, National Secondary Certificate in Education, Trinidad, West Indies.
- Resident Tutor’s Academic Award for Outstanding students on the Certificate in Physical Education, University of the West Indies, School of Continuing Studies, Trinidad, West Indies