Fees and funding for research degrees
Information on fees, funding, and additional costs while you study for a research degree in the School of Education.
A number of centrally managed postgraduate scholarships are available for you to apply for (see: PhD scholarships). Included in this list are the WRDTP Pathway Awards. For more details see the university webpage here and the WRDTP website here as well as the brief introductory video below.
Please note that the deadline for WRDTP Pathway awards is 27 January 2021 at 17:00. If you wish to apply for a Pathway award you will also need to submit a separate application for a PhD place. The deadline for PhD applications is Monday 4 January 2021 at 12 noon. Scholarship applications are completed through PG Online.
There are some additional items which are not included in the course fee. Some general examples are listed below:
- Travel for site visits DBS update service registration for professional programmes
- Additional travel costs
- Printing of your dissertation
- Any resubmission or extension fees
- Accommodation and living costs
- Optional books or texts – personal copies will not be included in the tuition fee
- Optional field trips - where students have the option to go to alternative destinations, they may have to contribute part of the cost
- Electrical equipment e.g. laptops, digital cameras and calculators
- Resitting exams including professional accreditation exams
- Travel, accommodation, relocation and living costs for employment experience, industrial placements and clinical placements.
- Year and semesters abroad - travel, accommodation, relocation, living costs, health insurance, visas, vaccinations, ancillary materials and textbooks etc
- General printing and photocopying, including for dissertations and coursework
- Other charges for the Sheffield Graduate Award, replacement Ucards/ transcripts/ degree certificates, late registration
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.