The Sheffield Literacies and Language Conference Student Research Prize 2023
Starting in 2023, we hope to award the Sheffield Literacies and Language Conference Student Research Prize annually, in tandem with the Sheffield Literacies and Language Conference. The award is given for an outstanding student paper at postgraduate or higher degree level undertaken at any academic institution. The applicant who wins the award in 2023 will receive a small financial prize of £250.
In line with the theme of our 2023 conference, the focus of this year’s prize is: Forging Hopeful Literacies. We invite submissions from any postgraduate student (taught or research) currently working towards a postgraduate qualification anywhere in the world. We will assess applications in line with the following criteria:
- The paper’s empirical and/ or theoretical contribution to the field of literacies or language research;
- The quality of the methodology employed;
- The relevance to the conference’s theme in 2023: Forging Hopeful Literacies (for more information, see the Call for Proposals).
If you would like to apply for this year’s prize, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information. The closing date for applications is Thursday 30th March, 2023.
- Your name
- Your preferred email address
- Your research level (the qualification you are currently studying towards)
- Your affiliation (where are you currently studying?)
- Conference paper title
- Conference paper abstract (250 words max)
- Supervisor name
- Supervisor email address
- Supervisor’s supporting statement (250 words max)
We will shortlist the most promising applicants and contact our shortlist no later than Thursday, 13th April, 2023. If you are shortlisted for the prize, we will ask you to send a longer piece of writing (no more than 2,000 words) by Thursday, 4th May, 2023. We will provide brief written feedback on the submissions of all of our shortlisted applicants. As such, we hope that our shortlisted applicants will find this process a useful step towards developing their conference paper with a view to publication, regardless of the outcome of the prize process itself.
The successful applicant and unsuccessful shortlisted applicants will hear from us no later than Thursday, 18th May, 2023. In addition to receiving the £250 prize, the successful applicant will be invited to present their prize-winning paper at the Sheffield Literacies and Language Conference in Sheffield in 2023, with conference fees paid. We are unfortunately unable to offer additional travel and accommodation expenses for the prize-winner.