Annual publication of Endowment Investment Funds 2020-21
As of 31 July 2021 the University held a total of £46.7m of endowment funds:
£40.9m of endowment funds were within the University of Sheffield Endowment Pool:
- £24.5m of Restricted Permanent Endowment Funds
- £9.5m of Unrestricted Permanent Endowment Funds
- £6.9m of Restricted Expendable Endowment Funds.
In addition, £7.6m of the University’s own Fixed Asset Investments are held within this pool, totalling £48.5m.
£5.5m of endowment accumulated income was held as cash with the University of Sheffield’s banker.
£0.1m of endowment funds received by the University prior to the year end, held as cash and invested by Sarasin & Partners just after the year end.
£0.2m of endowment funds held with Hargreaves Lansdown. These funds are separated into two pools:
21% within the main fund (Twikker income fund) managed by the original donor with interaction with the University of Sheffield Investment Society
79% within the student fund (Twikker student fund) managed by the fund group within the University of Sheffield Investment Society with oversight by the original donor
The primary purpose of the investment of endowment funds is to optimise returns to meet the specific purposes for which the funding was given to the University, to preserve the real value of capital and income over the long-term, and to minimise volatility.
The University of Sheffield is committed to investing its funds on a socially responsible basis. The University believes that to accord with its values when investing its funds, regard must be made to social, environmental, sustainability and governance issues. Whilst the investments are managed by external independent fund managers, the University expects its appointed fund managers to encourage good behaviour or discourage poor behaviour through the screening of investments, either positively or negatively and through the direct engagement with firms.
- The University is committed to the implementation of the Endowment Investment Policy.
- The University publishes an annual statement that provides information on the active investment approach undertaken by the University’s investment managers.
- The University publishes an annual compliance statement to be fully transparent with respect to the Endowment Investment Policy.
- The University has become a founding signatory of a new declaration of climate expectations.