Filip De Ceuster
Teaching Assistant for Dutch
I hold a BA in Dutch Literature and Theatre Studies from the University of Antwerp (BE) and MA in Modern Literature from the same university. My PhD research is funded by the University of Antwerp and aims to cast new light on the cultivated image of Flemish writer Maurice Gilliams (1900-1982) by reading his prose as a critical reflection on the modernization of Flanders in the interwar years and by reconstructing the ways in which Gilliams marketed himself as an aristocrat, aesthete and writer of autonomist prose.
Focus points of my research are the modern city, the countryside, interwar literature, the Flemish Movement, authorial self-fashioning and posture.
I am responsibe for the teaching and assessment of two undergraduate modules:
- GER107/8 Low Countries History and Culture
- GER232/333 Dutch Intermediate Language
Research Related Activities
- Editor & Review Coordinator for De Gulden Passer. Journal for Book History.
- Member of the Association for Literary Urban Studies
- Member of the International E.M. Forster Society