Dr Jo Bates
Senior Lecturer in Information Politics and Policy
BA (Keele), MA (Nottingham), MA (Manchester Metropolitan), PhD (Manchester Metropolitan)
The following is a selection of recent publications. A full list can be found here.
- Introduction to the data power special issue : tactics, access and shaping. Online Information Review, 43(6), 945-951. View this article in WRRO
- Assembling an infrastructure for historic climate data recovery: data friction in practice. Journal of Documentation, 75(4), 791-806. View this article in WRRO
- Data Power in Material Contexts: Introduction. Television and New Media, 18(8), 701-705. View this article in WRRO
- Making Data Flow for the Climate Risk Market. Television and New Media, 18(8), 753-768. View this article in WRRO
- The politics of data friction. Journal of Documentation, 74(2), 412-429. View this article in WRRO
- Resisting Neoliberalism: The challenge of activist librarianship in English Higher Education. Journal of Documentation, 73(2), 317-335. View this article in WRRO
- Data journeys: Capturing the socio-material constitution of data objects and flows. Big Data & Society, 3(2), 205395171665450-205395171665450. View this article in WRRO
- Science and Technology Studies, 29(3). View this article in WRRO
Co-observing the Weather, Co-predicting the Climate: Human Factors in Building Infrastructures for Crowdsourced Data.
- The strategic importance of information policy for the contemporary neoliberal state: The case of Open Government Data in the United Kingdom. Government Information Quarterly, 31(3), 388-395. View this article in WRRO
- The domestication of open government data advocacy in the United Kingdom: A neo-Gramscian analysis. Policy and Internet, 5(1), 118-137. View this article in WRRO
- Journal of Community Informatics, 8(2). View this article in WRRO
“This is what modern deregulation looks like” : co-optation and contestation in the shaping of the UK’s Open Government Data Initiative.
- Social reproduction and exclusion in subject indexing: A comparison of public library OPACs and LibraryThing folksonomy. Journal of Documentation, 67(3), 431-448.
- Online Information Review. View this article in WRRO
Social and Cultural Biases in Information, Algorithms, and Systems.
- Adversarial Attacks on Crowdsourcing Quality Control. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 67, 375-408. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- SPERI, 13.
Climate Risk, Big Data and the Weather Market.